Obtaining financing for an LJ

Taking out a HELOC for a car is absolutely the dumbest financial advice you can get. Not smart, ask Dave Ramsey.
Yes, we're huge Dave Ramsey fans.

In normal circumstances using a HELOC for a car purchase would not be smart. But times are different right now. If he has to finance its not the dumbest thing. Current used car rates are roughly 4+%, while HELOC rates are 3% (depending on your finances, equity etc). The mistake people would make is paying the minimum amount which would make it a 30yr loan. You just have to do the math and figure out how long you want to pay for it and make that your monthly payment.

We are looking for loan options, not financial advice.

Then get an unsecured personal loan from whomever will give you one at decent terms. It may be possible to borrow from yourself at better terms than you will get from any finance company by tapping an IRA for the sum you need and paying it back before the tax penalty kicks in. You'll have to do the math. I wouldn't do it, nor would I borrow against my home to purchase a toy, but you don't want financial advice.

There are sound financial reasons very few loan companies will accept a 15 to 17 year old vehicle as collateral and those who will typically impose usurious terms to compensate for the risk.

Best of luck in your jeep search.

In normal circumstances using a HELOC for a car purchase would not be smart. But times are different right now. If he has to finance its not the dumbest thing. Current used car rates are roughly 4+%, while HELOC rates are 3% (depending on your finances, equity etc). The mistake people would make is paying the minimum amount which would make it a 30yr loan. You just have to do the math and figure out how long you want to pay for it and make that your monthly payment.
I respectfully disagree, taking equity out of the largest appreciating asset next to your IRA or 401k to purchase a depreciating liability is not a smart thing to do.
But, hey I get they're still in that "I want it and I want it now" stage of life like most of us go through, but it's till a dumb move to do a HELOC for a depreciating vehicle.

Reactions: pc1p
I respectfully disagree, taking equity out of the largest appreciating asset next to your IRA or 401k to purchase a depreciating liability is not a smart thing to do.
But, hey I get they're still in that "I want it and I want it now" stage of life like most of us go through, but it's till a dumb move to do a HELOC for a depreciating vehicle.
Using equity from your home does not stop the home from appreciating. You just owe more and therefore have less built up equity until you pay off the HELOC. Simply having an open HELOC (with zero balance) does not lower your equity. Its an open line of credit.

I completely understand your point though. Any car is a horrible investment. However, in this case, do you want to pay 4+% or 3%. Also, how much are we talking about here 10-14k?? He's not buying a 100k car. Its a drop in the bucket...well, I guess that depends on the value of your home.

... after we have kids.
Not to give anymore unsolicited financial advice, but ratherly some fatherly-advice, I will simply say that your life will change drastically and dramatically post-children. I'm not sure what your timeline looks like for children, but from a practicality standpoint, an LJ is simply a terrible choice for a family vehicle (unless that it's simply a "toy" that will only be used under limited circumstance and not hauling babies around for a number of years). Before you sign up for a vehicle loan that 99.99% of financial advisors would advise you against, it may be worthwhile to spend some time with some family friends or neighbors and ping their brains too. It is easy to get attached to an idea/want/need pre-kids that will absolutely make you laugh (or cry!) post kids :)

I’ve used cash advances from credit cards with low or no fees to make purchases in the past or float things,

Bringing this thread back to life for a quick moment. Went with LightStream and their process was awesome! After going through application and speaking to my bank guy they’re more common than I first thought and I heard nothing but good things. Here’s the new toy!

3E019FC6-A78A-4F71-8288-3C7AF38A2CBB.jpeg

Thanks guys! Let the customizations begin...... first will be a lift to accommodate the tires that can’t do full articulation at their current size.

Happy Wednesday TJ Community!

My wife and I are planning to buy a TJ in the next few months so we are starting to look into financing options and the like. We would like to pay cash for a Jeep but in the event we find the perfect one outside of our cash allowance we want to be ready and knowledgable with our financing options. The Jeep must be an LJ and we prefer to keep it under 100k miles. This will be a third vehicle for camping trips in the beginning that many years and dollars from now will be a dedicated toy.

Capital one I know finances vehicles this age but they will not finance an individual to individual sale, only from a dealership. I am not against buying from a dealership but I do not want to limit myself as I feel the better deals and maintenance records will be found buying from an individual.

I have done some research and talked with Penfed credit union and they are one of our only candidates as of now if we choose to buy from an individual. Please share your financing adventures on TJ's that have been within the last couple years. I read somewhere on here Navy Federal finances these things but we are not in any relation military.

Thanks in advance!

We are located in North Texas if anyone has the prime candidate currently for sale! We would love one that has already been regeared for 33's but stock is great too.
Pay Cash

Stay in your budget and pay cash, invest in your future and be wise with your money.
Vehicles are only depreciating liabilities.
This is great advice.

The most common financing for a good LJ build is a Swiss bank account and fake i.d. and tax #.

We could tell you more....but we would have to kill you.

Reactions: Tray Burge
Bringing this thread back to life for a quick moment. Went with LightStream and their process was awesome! After going through application and speaking to my bank guy they’re more common than I first thought and I heard nothing but good things. Here’s the new toy!

View attachment 221163
Great color! And look at you, you're already "pick'n" up babes in it! lol

We had this discussion on page one, while I agree with you, @LJtheunicorn does seem to have a handle on his expenses and what he can afford. He is of a younger generation than me and that generation wants to enjoy life at an earlier age...I should probably learn a little of that before I croak and leave my kids everything.