OEM Multi-Disc CD Changer Setups

What’s to think about? All this stuff is obsolete.

IMG_1338.jpeg

I think you’re getting confused. On the 97-02 models your head unit doesn’t matter, they all have the same hookups. There’s a series of components that get wired into the original head unit via factory adapters to make the changer work. This is from the parts catalog.
View attachment 431134

As a side note, I do remember my factory changer having a small controller mounted to the dash under the ash tray. It lit up but it didn’t display anything. Wish I had a picture of it.

The bottom two CD changers in those diagrams are both FM modulated CD changers. That means you tune your radio to a certain frequency, for example, 88.1FM, and the CD changer plays through that, and the changer is controlled through an external controller (#7 in the middle diagram, #4 in the bottom). These could be installed through ANY radio.

However, there was ALSO a changer that was controlled directly by the buttons on the head unit and didn't interrupt the FM broadcast and play through the radio tuner, but these required head units that were designed to control the changers. There will be a socket on the back of these to accept a plug from the cable that connects the changer to the head unit. Simple, no external parts necessary.

Reactions: SSTJ and Jamison C
The bottom two CD changers in those diagrams are both FM modulated CD changers. That means you tune your radio to a certain frequency, for example, 88.1FM, and the CD changer plays through that, and the changer is controlled through an external controller (#7 in the middle diagram, #4 in the bottom). These could be installed through ANY radio.

Very interesting, thanks. So I could in theory install this to be used with my current RAZ.

However, there was ALSO a changer that was controlled directly by the buttons on the head unit and didn't interrupt the FM broadcast and play through the radio tuner, but these required head units that were designed to control the changers. There will be a socket on the back of these to accept a plug from the cable that connects the changer to the head unit. Simple, no external parts necessary.

Do you know which ones? Or do you know the sales code for them? (RAZ, etc.)

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Very interesting, thanks. So I could in theory install this to be used with my current RAZ.

Yes the setup we’re referring to should theoretically work with any factory radio 97-02 since the rear connections are the same no matter what.

I’m guessing everything 03-06 (curved edges) is the one that works directly from the head unit. Totally different setup and connector styles.

97-02.
IMG_8214.jpeg

03-06.
IMG_8215.jpeg

Reactions: SSTJ

Yes, you could use an FM modulated cd changer with the RAZ.

No, I do not know all of the models that have included CD changer controls. Again, read the document that Jamison linked in your other thread. It specifies.

For example, the RBN:
Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 9.45.19 AM.png

Yes the setup we’re referring to should theoretically work with any factory radio 97-02 since the rear connections are the same no matter what.
The connections that you referenced do not include the aux plug for the cd changer. The CD changer wiring is not in the Jeep's standard wiring harness.

See the round DIN connector on the top right here? That's where the CD changer plugs into a radio with integrated controls.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: SSTJ and Jamison C
Yes, you could use an FM modulated cd changer with the RAZ.

No, I do not know all of the models that have included CD changer controls. Again, read the document that Jamison linked in your other thread. It specifies.

For example, the RBN:
View attachment 431212

The connections that you referenced do not include the aux plug for the cd changer. The CD changer wiring is not in the Jeep's standard wiring harness.

See the round DIN connector on the top right here? That's where the CD changer plugs into a radio with integrated controls.
View attachment 431214

Hmm interesting, I found a picture of my dash out with the factory radio and it doesn't have the connector on the back, so maybe the radio you listed above was a factory upgrade if the vehicle was ordered with the changer?
IMG_2426.jpg

I like nerding out over this stuff. It almost feels like history at this point :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Hmm interesting, I found a picture of my dash out with the factory radio and it doesn't have the connector on the back, so maybe the radio you listed above was a factory upgrade if the vehicle was ordered with the changer?
View attachment 431227

I like nerding out over this stuff. It almost feels like history at this point :ROFLMAO:

I have no idea which radios were included with which option packages. I just lived through the '90s when all of this stuff was common, and was an installer in a car audio shop back then. I would imagine the radios with the integrated changer controls should be relatively easy to find on eBay or from a salvage yard these days. Then, you would just need the DIN cable to connect the changer.

I used the below stereo and the six disc changer so that I could add an aux cable. Basically I hacked into the cable from the CD changer to the head unit and then printed a blank CD with blank audio files. Now, when I run the CD changer and play the blank CD, I can plug my phone into the aux port (not pictured, but just to the right of the head unit in the bezel) and listen to whatever I want, using the phone for control. I tried a modern looking head unit, but I absolutely hated all of the flashing lights and the clash with the interior of my Jeep. I think I spent $60 on the head unit and another $50 on the CD changer. Plus about $10 for the aux port and some wire taps.
IMG_2992.jpeg

IMG_2993.jpeg

IMG_2994.jpeg

I feel like I’m in a classic restoration thread.
Fine, but I can see people searching for these types of rare things 25 years from now.

Make sure and get some CD’s from the year of your TJ to complete the time capsule!

These
I feel like I’m in a classic restoration thread.
Fine, but I can see people searching for these types of rare things 25 years from now.

Make sure and get some CD’s from the year of your TJ to complete the time capsule!

These units were made my Kenwood or maybe Alpine for Chrysler. Excellent quality given the time and the model ranges.

Reactions: JMT
What’s to think about? All this stuff is obsolete.

I don't specifically remember tossing out my CD's, but I haven't seen them in years so I have no idea where they would be.

I ripped them all into mp3 files 15 years ago and they now form my digital music library. I'm not into the streaming thing because I like to actually possess something I paid for, but I'm ok with it being bits on another storage media.

I keep my most listened-to music on my phone and listen in the Jeep with a Kenwood bluetooth CD player that I've never put a CD in. My last TJ I installed a digital-only player without a CD slot. I liked that it was only about 3" deep so there was plenty of room for the harness in the back.

My biggest complaint about either of them though, is how poorly they blend in to the rest of the interior.
I used the below stereo and the six disc changer so that I could add an aux cable. Basically I hacked into the cable from the CD changer to the head unit and then printed a blank CD with blank audio files. Now, when I run the CD changer and play the blank CD, I can plug my phone into the aux port (not pictured, but just to the right of the head unit in the bezel) and listen to whatever I want, using the phone for control. I tried a modern looking head unit, but I absolutely hated all of the flashing lights and the clash with the interior of my Jeep. I think I spent $60 on the head unit and another $50 on the CD changer. Plus about $10 for the aux port and some wire taps.
View attachment 431428

View attachment 431429

View attachment 431430

Ok now that's pretty slick.

Last edited:
Reactions: glowell222
View attachment 431428

View attachment 431429

View attachment 431430

Impressive. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 431428

View attachment 431429

View attachment 431430

Just coming back to this, out of curiosity. So did you just get an aux input and splice the wires into the right L and R wires of the cable that runs from the changer to the head unit?

And if so, can you also still play CDs in the other slots, and you just use the blank CD for when you want to plug into the AUX?

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/rbk-and-rbq-radio-auxiliary-input-install-how-to.1859386/

This is a guide to install an AUX input into your factory radio. The used LJ I just bought came with an aftermarket Kenwood. I'm middle aged which factors in, but I prefer a radio with actual buttons, that you can find without looking when driving. I want a rotary knob for volume, and tactile feel.

I found a round corner stock radio on FB Marketplace from a Dodge Ram. Plugged right into the factory harness. I've ordered some 3.5mm jacks and plan to get out the soldering iron some rainy weekend and then rock some MP3s.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/rbk-and-rbq-radio-auxiliary-input-install-how-to.1859386/

This is a guide to install an AUX input into your factory radio. The used LJ I just bought came with an aftermarket Kenwood. I'm middle aged which factors in, but I prefer a radio with actual buttons, that you can find without looking when driving. I want a rotary knob for volume, and tactile feel.

I found a round corner stock radio on FB Marketplace from a Dodge Ram. Plugged right into the factory harness. I've ordered some 3.5mm jacks and plan to get out the soldering iron some rainy weekend and then rock some MP3s.

Interesting. A bit more complex than what I had in mind. I was wondering if the DIN cable that transfers signals from the remote cd changer could be spliced into an auction put. But that’s for another thread sometime.

I know that CD Changers are obsolete now. But, when I first ordered my 1997 Wrangler, I had the factory 6 disk changer. Then, I went to the 50 disk changer and actually filled it up, with disks to spare. I had the Pioneer CDX-P5000. https://248am.com/mark/personal/pioneer-cdx-p5000/ I had it in my small TJ trunk. I remember it well. It only lasted about a year or two and it started malfunctioning. So, I just ripped all my CD's and eventually sold them all back to the record shop, and never looked back. I had some really nice compliations sets from Led Zeppelin, Classical sets, and others. One of my favorite sets was the Victoria Secrets, 5 CD classics by request set with the London Symphony Orchestra. Some of you may remember that set. Now, I have over 500 CD's in my mp3 library, that I just copy on a 128GB SD card or load on my 128GB s22 ultra with 64GB to spare. I remember my first 64GB Ipod too. Those were the days. But, no more CD's for me.

Just coming back to this, out of curiosity. So did you just get an aux input and splice the wires into the right L and R wires of the cable that runs from the changer to the head unit?

And if so, can you also still play CDs in the other slots, and you just use the blank CD for when you want to plug into the AUX?

First, the stereo head unit has to be the one I pictured, with the "mode" button so that you can choose the CD input. The matching CD changer and cable is the one I pictured. It's an 8 pin DIN cable, not a L + R. You need L, R, and ground connections, and then you must crack into the DIN cable and splice accordingly. I did my best to find a way to get around using the CD changer, but the head unit is expecting some data comms from the CD changer and I couldn't find a way to spoof it, bypass it, or disable it. I will try and find the wiring diagram I used for the DIN cable. This was a very easy mod, but the head unit isn't plug and play from a mounting perspective-you will need to do a simple bracket for one side.

This is the input I used. You can still play CDs in the other slots, though I only have the single blank CD, in which case it will play the blank cd over and over.
If I was doing this over, I would relocate the aux input to be as close as possible to the cigar lighter, and add a bluetooth adapter like the one linked here: TUNAI Firefly LDAC Bluetooth Receiver. My son has one of these in his car and it works perfectly.

Last edited:
First, the stereo head unit has to be the one I pictured, with the "mode" button so that you can choose the CD input. The matching CD changer and cable is the one I pictured. It's an 8 pin DIN cable, not a L + R. You need L, R, and ground connections, and then you must crack into the DIN cable and splice accordingly. I did my best to find a way to get around using the CD changer, but the head unit is expecting some data comms from the CD changer and I couldn't find a way to spoof it, bypass it, or disable it. I will try and find the wiring diagram I used for the DIN cable. This was a very easy mod, but the head unit isn't plug and play from a mounting perspective-you will need to do a simple bracket for one side.

This is the input I used. You can still play CDs in the other slots, though I only have the single blank CD, in which case it will play the blank cd over and over.
If I was doing this over, I would relocate the aux input to be as close as possible to the cigar lighter, and add a bluetooth adapter like the one linked here: TUNAI Firefly LDAC Bluetooth Receiver. My son has one of these in his car and it works perfectly.

Thanks. I have a different head unit, but it does have the same 'mode' button to select the external disc changer as the input. And there is a wiring 'key' on the back of my four-disc CD changer, so I'll be able to see which of the DIN wires is for L and R. I do plan on using the disc changer for CDs, but if I can dedicate one CD slot to a blank one and then play via aux input or bluetooth, that'll be swell. Maybe I can set the head unit to repeat the one disc whenever I want to use AUX. But I'll also explore the other ways I've seen for adding bluetooth to the head unit.

Thanks. I have a different head unit, but it does have the same 'mode' button to select the external disc changer as the input. And there is a wiring 'key' on the back of my four-disc CD changer, so I'll be able to see which of the DIN wires is for L and R. I do plan on using the disc changer for CDs, but if I can dedicate one CD slot to a blank one and then play via aux input or bluetooth, that'll be swell. Maybe I can set the head unit to repeat the one disc whenever I want to use AUX. But I'll also explore the other ways I've seen for adding bluetooth to the head unit.

Perfect. If one of the wires is for Audio ground, use that one for ground. Otherwise you will likely end up with a ton of engine noise. If there's no specified audio ground, just use the grounded sleeve in the cable.

I think we found the last group of people still using CD's! Wow! ;)

I had conversation with my 85 yo dad about his Lexus. Since I've been alive, he would get a new car every 2-3 years. Usually the exact same car in the same color (white). He now has over 10 years with his current Lexus because it's the last model that had a V8 and a CD changer. I've explained that the V8 is no longer an option because the V6 turbo has more horsepower. That went ok. Then trying to explain that you can store ALL of your CD's in the car storage (or USB), that just didn't go well. The CD changer is just easier for him to deal with.

• Haha