Oil Filters

LJ G

Am I missing something on the oil filter for the 4.0 motors? Shows Wix 51085, Mobile 1 M1-204A?? They are way to wide.
Currently have a Carquest R95516, which is much narrower and taller.

Am I missing something on the oil filter for the 4.0 motors? Shows Wix 51085, Mobile 1 M1-204A?? They are way to wide.
Currently have a Carquest R95516, which is much narrower and taller.
I always use wix 51085. Havent had any issues on my 4.0. Maybe someone put the wrong size in the box? I cant imagine that happening though.

Reactions: Irun
Both are correct. The Carquest R95516 is equivalent to a Fram PH8, which works on the 4.0 also.

Reactions: D M
I always use wix 51085. Havent had any issues on my 4.0. Maybe someone put the wrong size in the box? I cant imagine that happening though.
I’ll post a pic in just a minute. It may just be the way that Carquest is made

All 4.0 jeep engines use 51085 WIX. Some quick lube places use a different style to save on inventory.

Reactions: jeepguy03
If you can find them, the MO-090 Mopar filter is great and at Walmart for not much money. Normally less than $10, $6.73 online. It's the factory deal and a good choice. I also like the FL-300 which is a Motorcraft filter about half the price with the same construction as the factory Mopar filter. You can get them anywhere but rockauto.com has decent prices if you buy a few. If you can get the Mopar filter for under $10 I don't really see why you'd get these other brands?

Reactions: MikeE024
This is what they had in there. Just narrower. Gonna try this high zinc VR1 oil.

C7603F7F-FD1B-44D4-978D-33B67AAA6481.jpeg

The actual thread and gasketed area on the 51085 is the same as that, even though the overall can is much wider.

If you can find them, the MO-090 Mopar filter is great and at Walmart for not much money. Normally less than $10, $6.73 online. It's the factory deal and a good choice. I also like the FL-300 which is a Motorcraft filter about half the price with the same construction as the factory Mopar filter. You can get them anywhere but rockauto.com has decent prices if you buy a few. If you can get the Mopar filter for under $10 I don't really see why you'd get these other brands?
I usually buy the M1-204a at Walmart but they were out the other day so I got a mopar MO-090 at Walmart instead.

I’ve used Wix filters many times for previous vehicles and am a fan after watching videos breaking down the media of different filter brands. But, I get my oil at Walmart so I grab a filter there as well simply to save an extra trip.

To me it comes down to price point and quality.

8AAC9453-9682-459F-ACD3-0FEDECF14273.jpeg

Gonna try this high zinc VR1 oil.
VR1 is great, I use it in my 1960 Ford at the recommendation of the shop that rebuilt my engine.

Sad to say my 4.0 gets the cheapest stuff that says "oil" and happens to be the correct weight.

I got a mopar MO-090 at Walmart instead.
I do this or rockauto if it's cheaper. Filters, I doubt it really matters much as long as you change them.