Oil leaking from the valve cover breather?

rhauseriii

I changed my oil roughly 2000 miles ago and I recently checked my oil and found that I was 1.5 qts low. I have had trouble with oil leaks from the valve cover gasket so I replaced it, and it seems to be holding up ok, I think. Since replacing the valve cover gasket and cleaning the valve cover I have noticed an accumulation of oil gunk around the rear valve cover breather. It looks as though oil has been leaking down the sides of the engine block. Could I be leaking that much oil from the valve cover breather? If not, what could it be?

I changed my oil roughly 2000 miles ago and I recently checked my oil and found that I was 1.5 qts low. I have had trouble with oil leaks from the valve cover gasket so I replaced it, and it seems to be holding up ok, I think. Since replacing the valve cover gasket and cleaning the valve cover I have noticed an accumulation of oil gunk around the rear valve cover breather. It looks as though oil has been leaking down the sides of the engine block. Could I be leaking that much oil from the valve cover breather? If not, what could it be?

Most likely it's the grommet that seals the breather has hardened and can no longer provide a proper seal. If you order a new one also get the breather as there is a good chance it will snap during the process,

How many miles are on it ? Worn rings pressurize the system .

I have the same thing going on and have been searching the interwebs and reading the FSM. On our 4.0 Jeeps, they call it the CCV system. The front elbow is the air intake and the rear elbow is a 'fixed orifice'. Vacuum from the intake manifold pulls air through the orifice to be combusted.

I have looked at the 2004 parts list pdf and can't find the part numbers for the grommets or elbows for my year. Are they the same size? I've read where some recommend getting the engine up to temp before attempting to remove them, but that they will still frequently break apart. I'm hesitant to take this on unless I was planning on changing the valve cover gasket because of the possibility of pieces falling in to the valves/top of the head.

1576600325479.png

Reactions: darkangel07760
I have the same thing going on and have been searching the interwebs and reading the FSM. On our 4.0 Jeeps, they call it the CCV system. The front elbow is the air intake and the rear elbow is a 'fixed orifice'. Vacuum from the intake manifold pulls air through the orifice to be combusted.

I have looked at the 2004 parts list pdf and can't find the part numbers for the grommets or elbows for my year. Are they the same size? I've read where some recommend getting the engine up to temp before attempting to remove them, but that they will still frequently break apart. I'm hesitant to take this on unless I was planning on changing the valve cover gasket because of the possibility of pieces falling in to the valves/top of the head.

View attachment 129707

Check here.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=CCV&i=au...6-—————-15-1&ref=gar_pa_sr&tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: RMETeeJay