Oil Pan Bolts

Simon DeZurik

Just replaced my oil pan gasket and while it's not leaking, some of the bolts are. Followed torque specs on bolts and snapped a stud bolt so got nervous and just lightly tightened the rest. I've tightened some that were leaking and it stopped but worried I'll snap more, the more I tighten. My question is: should I buy new bolts and can I replace them one at a time while the cover is still mounted or should I drain the oil first?

https://www.extremeterrain.com/tj-wrangler-torque-specs.html calls for Oil pan 1/4-20 bolts to be torqued to 9.5 N-m (84 in. lbs.) and the Oil pan 5/16-18 bolts to be at 15 N-m (132 in. lbs.)...my torque wrench doesn't go this low.

My question is: should I buy new bolts and can I replace them one at a time while the cover is still mounted or should I drain the oil first?

I wouldn't bother replacing the non broken ones, but you should (if you haven't) replace the one that did. If you choose to replace all of them you don't need to drain the oil, the level is well below that gasket.

Are the bolts lubricated with oil or anti-seize? If so decrease the in-lbs specs by 20-25% or you’ll over-torque.