Oil Pressure Sending Unit

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
I am looking to replace my Oil Pressure Sending unit as my oil pressure gauge does not seem to be displaying my oil pressure building. Would anyone advise against picking one up from the local auto store? I know they are rather inexpensive in the first place but I am trying to save money anywhere I can, and I cant seem to find the OEM sending unit for a 2004 anywhere on the internet. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I bought aftermarket from Amazon and it is working fine so far.

Some members have had problems with readings being inaccurate (not that the gauge readings are extremely accurate), stop working in a few months or what the member encountered in Australia on a stroker engine where the electrical connector detached from the sensor base and spewed oil into the engine compartment.
Not saying these problems will happen, but these are documented problems; so the potential is there.

I bought aftermarket from Amazon and it is working fine so far.
I can’t seem to find a torque value for installation. I just tighter it enough to where I got decent resistance. Considering it has sealant applied to the threads, I figured I’d be okay. What did you torque yours to?

I can’t seem to find a torque value for installation. I just tighter it enough to where I got decent resistance. Considering it has sealant applied to the threads, I figured I’d be okay. What did you torque yours to?
I could not find a value either. I just tightened it until there was a significant amount of resistance. Worked just fine so far.

41g5Q8dXKXL._AC_.jpg

Tightening of the sending unit with fine threads much past 10-15 ft/lbs (snug) isn't required.

I could not find a value either. I just tightened it until there was a significant amount of resistance. Worked just fine so far.

Just replaced mine yesterday, and I will say it is in the WORST spot possible on my 03 2.4. There was no way to get a socket head, and no room for an end wrench so I had to cut an end wrench in half to get enough torque with my limited space.

A few hours, smashed fingers, and cuss words later and I was able to get it snug enough.

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Sorry for bringing this up from the dead. W0133-1878744-MPR is disco. What's the next best choice?

Just installed a standard motor products PS287 in my 2.4L. The old sensor was actually leaking oil through the body, so in addition to fixing the low oil pressure light it helped me fix an oil leak! No issues so far with the new unit.