Old but new

Ozark Jeeper

Purchased a 2000 TJ with 81,000 miles on it just a few months ago. Jeep was mostly towed behind an RV and used to get around town when needed. I've replaced the brake system with new, changed oil, plugs, rotor, cap and belt. Jeep seems to run like a champ. I'm new at this jeep stuff and learning all I can from you guys that know all about jeeps. My question is, are there things I should be replacing even though it only has 81,000 miles but it is 21 years old?

I am sure others will chime in, but I would do the normal PM stuff: If not already done - Flush radiator and replace all hoses, thermostat, drain and refill Diffs, Transfer case, and transmission. check vacuum hoses. Should be in pretty good shape since most of those miles don't sound like they were on the engine so 100,000 mile timing chain can wait a while. for good measure seafoam the air intake to clean the idle control valve and physically clean the throttle body. Get an OEM throttle position sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor for the glovebox. Best I can come up with :unsure:

Start with a separate bank account so nobody else can see how much you are spending, spend as much as humanly possible on Mods and then trade it in for a 4.0 :)

I am sure others will chime in, but I would do the normal PM stuff: If not already done - Flush radiator and replace all hoses, thermostat, drain and refill Diffs, Transfer case, and transmission. check vacuum hoses. Should be in pretty good shape since most of those miles don't sound like they were on the engine so 100,000 mile timing chain can wait a while. for good measure seafoam the air intake to clean the idle control valve and physically clean the throttle body. Get an OEM throttle position sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor for the glovebox. Best I can come up with :unsure:
I thought it was 100,000 miles for a timing belt and a timing chain is good unless there is a problem?

I haven't looked it up I know a lot of people run it for 200,000 plus but when I pulled the oil pan on my jeep at 102,000 to replace the leaking rear main seal, I had almost an inch of play in the chain and the FSM says to replace anything above 1/2" of deflection. I replaced the water pump at the same time since it was apart, the time chain and gears was less than $100.00 with a fel-pro gasket. again I think yours is probably fine for a while since the actual run time on the motor I suspect is really low. All my miles are under power miles. I also have the 4.0 and not the 2.5 but my understanding is the 2.5 is basically the same motor less a couple cylinders.

Also disregard the CPS 2000 had the cap and rotor setup still. I always carry a spare known good TPS it has saved me or friends a number of times on the trail. nothing like spending 2 hours getting to a parts store and back to find the xyz brand TPS is bad out of the box.

Welcome !
200.gif

Drive the heck out of it. Enjoy !

Grease the front end once in a while. Replace all the ball joints, then grease those once in while.
Replace all fluids(as mentioned) including pads, calipers and pads.
New tires!
Fix or replace radio,
Apply for credit cards without your spouse!
My 2000 TJ runs daily and amazes me at 216K.

Thanks for the advise guys. I'm new at this and wanting to learn more about this old jeep and how to take care of it. I started with nothing and building as I go. Love driving it. I figured where else better to learn than go to the TJ forum, you guys been there done that and know all about them.

TJ - 1.jpg

TJ - 2.jpg

TJ - 3.jpg

Holy crap guys. He doesn’t need to rebuild the dang thing!!!! Take care of your basic tune up stuff. Change ALL the fluids. Flush your brake fluid. Inspect everything else, if it’s worn or questionable then replace as needed. Please don’t go changing parts just to say they are new. If your ball joints are worn, then address them. Save the unnecessary spending for silly mods.

Reactions: hear and 02GreenTJ
Holy crap guys. He doesn’t need to rebuild the dang thing!!!! Take care of your basic tune up stuff. Change ALL the fluids. Flush your brake fluid. Inspect everything else, if it’s worn or questionable then replace as needed. Please don’t go changing parts just to say they are new. If your ball joints are worn, then address them. Save the unnecessary spending for silly mods.
yes sir, I agree. I'm only replacing as needed. I've added some small "USEFULL" items like rear storage bag for my winch kit. Tired of using a "tub" that takes up space. Purchased a BESTSTOP saddle that mounts between row bars. Gets everything off the floor. Very nice. As for parts, when needed it gets replaced, other than that, leave it alone!

Reactions: John Cooper
My hard top is looking terrible. Would like to bring it back to life and repaint it. Any suggestions?
Look up threads on Penetrol. Ten bucks a quart at Home Depot or Lowes, and you only use a couple of teaspoons to treat the entire hardtop. Rub it on with a cloth, wait a couple of minutes, wipe it off with another cloth. And it lasts years - from what I've read. I just did mine, waiting to see how it weathers.

Look up threads on Penetrol. Ten bucks a quart at Home Depot or Lowes, and you only use a couple of teaspoons to treat the entire hardtop. Rub it on with a cloth, wait a couple of minutes, wipe it off with another cloth. And it lasts years - from what I've read. I just did mine, waiting to see how it weathers.
Oldbuzzard, thanks for the info. Let me know how yours turns out.

Purchased a 2000 TJ with 81,000 miles on it just a few months ago. Jeep was mostly towed behind an RV and used to get around town when needed. I've replaced the brake system with new, changed oil, plugs, rotor, cap and belt. Jeep seems to run like a champ. I'm new at this jeep stuff and learning all I can from you guys that know all about jeeps. My question is, are there things I should be replacing even though it only has 81,000 miles but it is 21 years old?

Yes.

You should replace those wheels - JK wheels do not belong on a TJ.

For the hardtop, try Mequairs #7 Show Car Glaze followed by a coat of Meguairs #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. These two products are easy to use and made my faded black hard top look like new again.