Older Jeeps compared to the JK's

Thanks! Those wheels came off a 98 XJ. Rattle can textured paint and black. Easy to touch up.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
My next Jeep will be an LJ. I'm on the lookout every day for the yellow one I want. Preferably a Rubicon, with a hard top.

It's high in miles but its what you're looking for.

Screenshot_20170225-165124.png

I had a 2008 JKU Sahara and my wife had a 2014 JKU Rubicon. We sold both (I was only riding my Harley from mid 2014 to 2016 and my JKU had just sat there) and we needed a bigger vehicle when we brought in a 4th kid. After going to just my Harley and my wife's traverse for the last year, I missed having a jeep and so did my wife. Enter my TJ. I wanted something that didn't break the bank (like the rubicon we had) and would be fun to play with.

In the end, I like the TJ much more than my old JKU, but the extra cargo space was nice when needed. The JKU rubicon was sweet as hell, but the price wasn't. In the end, if I were buying again and could have either, I'd go with the TJ again for me. If I buy another jeep to add to our garage, it will be a JKU for my wife though for the quicker get up and go around town.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
I had a 2008 JKU Sahara and my wife had a 2014 JKU Rubicon. We sold both (I was only riding my Harley from mid 2014 to 2016 and my JKU had just sat there) and we needed a bigger vehicle when we brought in a 4th kid. After going to just my Harley and my wife's traverse for the last year, I missed having a jeep and so did my wife. Enter my new TJ. I wanted something that didn't break the bank (like the rubicon we had) and would be fun to play with.

In the end, I like the TJ much more than my old JKU, but the extra cargo space was nice when needed. The JKU rubicon was sweet as hell, but the price wasn't. In the end, if I were buying again and could have either, I'd go with the TJ again for me. If I buy another jeep again, it will be a JKU for my wife though for the quicker get up and go around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's our set up right now. A TJ for me, and a JKU for the wife. So far, so good.

Reactions: zip04
So I take it most here are hard core TJ owners? I haven't had any wishes to own a new JK. I did buy my daughter a 2015 Rubicon for Christmas but couldnt find a nice TJ or LJ up here that hasnt been wheeled to hell and back.

I have been offered a trade twice to swap even for a JK , one sport and one Rubicon and have passed. It seems my jeep just does so much better and does it more easily than the JK's. Even when stock I could hang with the seriously built rigs and have way out done them many times. I make them shake their heads.

They are more comfortable but I guess I like the tight cockpit feeling of my LJ. It oges like a mule and I have had people tell me they are jealous of the way my jeep make it all look so easy.

So today if you could pickout any jeep you wanted? What would it be. I will just stick to my LJ

When is cones to Jeep Wranglers/ CJ'S, I think there are two different worlds with respect to the evolution of the JK in 07. Pre 07 signified a basic no frills small dimension vehicle with a design layout that dates back to WW2 that changed gradually. The JK was designed to appeal to a broader market by being more comfortable and larger and in reality, it's all about the money for the manufacturer.
Personally in my opinion , the TJ is the final chapter in the original Jeep form.
As far as an off road rig, the TJ is more capable on tight trails due to its smaller dimensions.

Personally in my opinion , the TJ is the final chapter in the original Jeep form.
As far as an off road rig, the TJ is more capable on tight trails due to its smaller dimensions.
I agree. The JK is more comfortable driving to the trail, that is pretty much its plus...

Reactions: derekmac
I'd probably like the JK more if they hadn't squared every part of the body off so much. I love the rounded doors on the TJ's (and prior Jeeps), and the more rounded hardtop.

Being an average driver, and having had multiple TJs & two JKs, I can vouch for the fact that in stock form, the JKs seemed to handle off roading more effortlessly than any if the TJs I have owned. I am no expert, it's just my experience. I would not trade the looks, size, ease of servicing and repair, or the general coolness factor of the TJ for a JK though. As has been said, the TJ is the perfect middle ground between the original Jeeps and the technology-dependant Jeeps of today. Not even sure what the next Jeep designation will be after 2017. I read that that is the last year of the JK.

It's the JL. They've done a pretty good job of keeping it under wraps. There's supposed to be a good deal of aluminum to save weight and help with fuel economy. I also read a diesel and 4 cylinder turbo could be on the mix. And I'm sure it will cost a ton just like the JKs do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I called mine every bad name I could think of today and made up a few new ones. Installed my Skid plate. Went as easy as slicing pie. Then I went to install the new valve pan cover. The pain in the ass that it was made up for all the easy I have had in the last month. had to unhook all the wiring harness and a few other things. 4 hours later I finished it. I took a few breaks just to keep myself calmed down. Finished and ready to head home.. NOT. Damn think wouldn't go in reverse. Hitting the damn back of the console. So I had something else to mess with. I made quick work out of it by just grabbing it and ripping it the hell out. Don't have to work about that problem again. Now I think I have room to work my gun rack in there. After all of that I still wouldn't trade it for a new JK Rubicon

There's supposed to be a good deal of aluminum to save weight and help with fuel economy.

At the big three (Ford, GM, & Chrysler) when you reach a certain job level you are given a vehicle that you keep typically for 6-12 mos cycles. As part of that typically you don't pay for any of the related costs of the vehicles; maintenance, fuel, etc, but, most importantly, if you damage it they'll fix it for you. You get a dent in the parking lot . . . just drop it off at the body shop for a few days and drive around in another company car from the pool. Usually it doesn't matter how small or large the damage is.

When the new aluminum body Ford trucks hit the company pool the in-house corporate repair facilities told my friends that received them to not even bring them in until they had "X" amount of damage because the costs to repair the aluminum body panels were twice what they were for steel.

I'm curious to see how this is going to play out for the casual JL driver that hasn't put corners or sliders on but still does lite trails.

Reactions: FTI76
I grew up in a family that loved their Willys jeeps, and I became a big fan of AMC jeeps as a result. But as the years pass I realize you can be a purist and still appreciate the new technology used in Jeeps every year. I mean the YJ was built by using the XJ suspension to make a more stable CJ variant, the same with the TJ using The Grand Cherokee suspension. And Jeep has always made pickups, and SUVs before any other brand did. Every company that has owned the name Jeep has made it their own while keeping it unique.
Except Fiat, it should have stayed American. Someone call Pres. Trump.