Olympic 4X4 Supply no longer selling used parts! Closing shop?

You better get that frame before I drive out there and buy it. That frame is worth around $2000 near Chicago (assuming it is rust free and straight). 97-02 4.0L is the hardest type of frame to find.

Reactions: Squatch
You better get that frame before I drive out there and buy it. That frame is worth around $2000 near Chicago (assuming it is rust free and straight). 97-02 4.0L is the hardest type of frame to find.
Yeah, I plan on being out there first thing tomorrow morning. Hoping it's in good shape, like he says it is. If not, I'm still gonna look around and see if there's anything I need. Or want. I'll accept want as a motivational tool, as well. ;)

Reactions: ac_
Yeah, I plan on being out there first thing tomorrow morning. Hoping it's in good shape, like he says it is. If not, I'm still gonna look around and see if there's anything I need. Or want. I'll accept want as a motivational tool, as well. ;)
Bring your phone or a camera, and take some nostalgic pictures.

Reactions: Squatch
The build is starting to look more and more like a frame-off resto...

The build is starting to look more and more like a frame-off resto...
Yeah...that part doesn't necessarily settle well with me, to be honest. I know I'm capable of doing it, but I already have at least two projects like that, and I never really intended to gain a third. There are a multitude of reasons why I should avoid going that far...

Just got off the phone with Carl, the owner of Olympic 4X4, to confirm that the frame was still there. It is. But while I was "on hold", their message announced that December 29th was their last day in business. Doesn't appear that there will be a move to a smaller shop, after all. Hey @psrivats , did you get hold of them about a PCM yet?

Just got off the phone with Carl, the owner of Olympic 4X4, to confirm that the frame was still there. It is. But while I was "on hold", their message announced that December 29th was their last day in business. Doesn't appear that there will be a move to a smaller shop, after all. Hey @psrivats , did you get hold of them about a PCM yet?

Hey I don't remember, but you are aware of the 4x4 swap meet in Puyallup? I might fly up there for it next year.

Hey I don't remember, but you are aware of the 4x4 swap meet in Puyallup? I might fly up there for it next year.
I know of it, but have never attended. Never had a real reason to before. Of course, that's all changed, now. ;) Didn't you say something once about it being in March?

yeah, I will see if I can find the actual info for next year but usually it is middle to late March! I can't go too wild because whatever I buy I will need to ship home, but it is still a fun day out. Honestly 4 wheel parts is usually there with screaming deals. They also have a small 4x4 truck show.

yeah, I will see if I can find the actual info for next year but usually it is middle to late March! I can't go too wild because whatever I buy I will need to ship home, but it is still a fun day out. Honestly 4 wheel parts is usually there with screaming deals. They also have a small 4x4 truck show.
Cool! I'm going to pencil it in for this year. If these D44s are still in my possession, I may be walking around with a sign on my back advertising them at the meet!

Picked up a bore scope at Harbor Freight, and then headed to Olympic 4X4 to check out their frame. Well, it was fairly disappointing. First off, it's on a rig that has been rolled. I'll go with thinking that it's probably not tweaked, but it's a real possibility. Secondly, there is far more external rust on the frame than mine has. It was described as "surface rust" on the phone, but it's a fair bit more than that. And lastly, when I ran the bore scope down into the frame, there was definitely some scale rust in the area of the tranny skid plate mounting points (that entire section of frame). It wasn't horrendous, but it was more than I was hoping to find, for sure. Bummer,

So, they're holding it until Tuesday for me (they're closed Sunday and Monday). Within that time, I'm going to delve further into my frame, and see what the difference in the condition between the two frames is. It might be worth purchasing the other frame, and it might not. I also would like to hear what you folks have to say on the subject.

Btw, @Chris, there were no less that four Khaki TJ's in the lot, but only two had tailgates on them. One had been rear-ended hard, and the other had a number of smaller dents in the tailgate. Sorry, brother.

Got more details on the closure. It was prompted by Snohomish County changing the rules and drastically increasing the cost of permits/licenses to operate a wrecking yard. The owner is still looking for another building to sell new parts from, but hasn't had any luck, thus far. The land has already been sold, but he still owns the business.

Anyways, the yard is being picked over pretty good. Doors and such are disappearing rapidly. Still lots of good tubs, but I don't know what they're getting for them.

Dec. 29th is the last day, FWIW...

Btw, @Chris, there were no less that four Khaki TJ's in the lot, but only two had tailgates on them. One had been rear-ended hard, and the other had a number of smaller dents in the tailgate. Sorry, brother.

Did any of them have half doors?

Riiiight… ;) LOL No, no doors of any kind on the Khaki TJs. In fact, I didn't see a single set of half doors, except on YJs.

I don't NEED half doors by any means, but if I found a set of khaki ones with khaki door panels, I would be all over them.

It's one of those things that I keep my eyes peeled for, but I don't go out of my way to try and find ;)