One of the main reasons I love these TJs

Driving the jeep in city with heavy traffic jams like here is not enjoyable, especially with gone shocks. But top down, windshield down, very little traffic drive is really good. I never drove a motorcycle but guess tricycles feel the same as windshield down drive.

The jeep holds a special place in my heart and it's always a hard decision Between top down and doors off or cruising on the motorcycle. I've got to say the bike has been winning that battle more and more though. Sometimes you just can't beat the freedom..... the gas mileage is a nice benefit too.

Driving the jeep in city with heavy traffic jams like here is not enjoyable, especially with gone shocks. But top down, windshield down, very little traffic drive is really good. I never drove a motorcycle but guess tricycles feel the same as windshield down drive.
Perhaps my best Controls Engineer I had lived in Pavlador.

For sure, I agree, there’s something therapeutic about open air and also older vehicles. I also like that it’s more relaxed than riding a motorcycle. Especially with my auto lol
This. Mostly the older vehicles thing for me. They are the very last of the no-bullshit vehicles - from a time before facebook and "groups" there and their cookie cutter modifications, add-ons, beliefs and infighting. Quite possibly one of the few, if the only, "desirable" generation of American made vehicle that lasted into the mid-2000's. I'm sure someone can come up with others, but it's hard to think of another vehicle from that decade that didn't age like milk.

It definitely feels like simpler times in a TJ. “I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.”

I still love my motorcycles, but this summer I've been leaning more heavily on taking out of one the TJ's, open the sunrider and just trundle along. And what a summer to do it with gas over $3 😑

Last edited:
And this ...my grandson, cutest pilot ever.

View attachment 261549
My youngest grandson loves my Jeep. Every time he sees a red Jeep, his mom says he want to know if it's Grandpaw.

My Harleys are my freedom machines. Riding clears my head, wakes up all of my senses, and lets me know I'm alive. My Jeep is the first way I have found to get the same feelings on 4 wheels. Another thing they have in common is the ability to empty my bank account and run up my credit card debt.

It’s funny how you guys use the motorcycle analogy. I have a Jeep as a compromise between me wanting a motorcycle and her saying “no” with her commenting that people always seem happy in a Jeep.
I absolutely love the TJ, but for me personally it’s way behind any one of my bikes as far as engagement and fun. Even this weekend with 110 degree heat, I rode 4 hours both Friday and then back Saturday. Bikes will always come first, but the TJ is my favorite four wheeled vehicle.

And just an observation… as much as I love all my bikes, I’m not on a single forum for any of them. For the Jeep, I’m on two. Go figure.

Reactions: SoCalGlide
I absolutely love the TJ, but for me personally it’s way behind any one of my bikes as far as engagement and fun. Even this weekend with 110 degree heat, I rode 4 hours both Friday and then back Saturday. Bikes will always come first, but the TJ is my favorite four wheeled vehicle.

And just an observation… as much as I love all my bikes, I’m not on a single forum for any of them. For the Jeep, I’m on two. Go figure.
I’m a bike gear head too, woods rider. Bikes really get in your blood. I’ve noticed bike folks tend to like Jeeps.

Yep, driving the LJ gives me all the feels. The feeling of driving with the doors off on a beautiful day while pulling up beside a newer "4-door jeep" with the windows rolled up and the air conditioning on! The feeling of not knowing if i can change lanes because i don't have any side mirrors!! But doing it anyway - because i drive a jeep. The feeling you get when someone looks at your jeep and you know they're thinking, "that would be so cool to drive one of those". Then there's the feeling i get when i hear any squeak and immediately think OPDA and the worldwide backorder until 2035. Then the dual feelings of wanting to go offroad with some friends and then remembering the thread i read about never go offroad with a lunchbox locker in the Dana 30. Something about snapping an axle. Yes sir. All the feels...

Reactions: JeepZilla380
drove it to work in the first time in months. Still had it in safari mode from yesterday. There's a head wave right now in WA so its 90+ all day, which might not sound like a lot to some, but when it's 80+ humidity it's pretty rough.
Anyway, it was a cool 72 on the way in and I was beaming the whole time, damn I missed this thing, and boy were people looking jealous in their "normal" vehicles. :cool:

drove it to work in the first time in months. Still had it in safari mode from yesterday. There's a head wave right now in WA so its 90+ all day, which might not sound like a lot to some, but when it's 80+ humidity it's pretty rough.
Anyway, it was a cool 72 on the way in and I was beaming the whole time, damn I missed this thing, and boy were people looking jealous in their "normal" vehicles. :cool:
Similar weather here in upstate NY - highs in the nineties, and the humidity pushing the heat index past 100+. We just aren't ready for it around here.

The TJ's did not come out of the garage this weekend 😅

Similar weather here in upstate NY - highs in the nineties, and the humidity pushing the heat index past 100+. We just aren't ready for it around here.

The TJ's did not come out of the garage this weekend 😅
Yeah I ran mine to the beach yesterday. It was, admittedly, like a hair dryer blowing on me at certain points, but was worth it on the drive home.
I'm also gained a lot of confidence in my cooling system.

I’m a bike gear head too, woods rider. Bikes really get in your blood. I’ve noticed bike folks tend to like Jeeps.

One of my bikes is a DRZ400 duel sport. I’ve tried a couple times to do trail riding and I just don’t have the knack for it :)

It’s fun, but I keep using street muscle memory and it doesn’t translate well to dirt.

I hear starting dirt and moving to street is the way to go, but I did it backwards and it’s tough to go street to dirt!

One of my bikes is a DRZ400 duel sport. I’ve tried a couple times to do trail riding and I just don’t have the knack for it :)

It’s fun, but I keep using street muscle memory and it doesn’t translate well to dirt.

I hear starting dirt and moving to street is the way to go, but I did it backwards and it’s tough to go street to dirt!
We have some street guys just getting into it now, they are having fun but surprised how physical it is. Hard to kill a DRZ.

My jeep has recently become a weekend car because of my long weekday commutes and every time I get to drive it is such a good feeling. I get started on a back road and I am always reminded of how much I love my Jeep. It is a completely different feel driving it (especially compared to the Honda Odyssey that has sadly become my daily driver)

• Haha
Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
It’s funny how you guys use the motorcycle analogy. I have a Jeep as a compromise between me wanting a motorcycle and her saying “no” with her commenting that people always seem happy in a Jeep.
I had bikes...I had to sell em. For one, my wife sat me down when we were in our early 30's and said...You want kids, right? I said yes...? She said, you gotta quit riding, because I don't want to raise them alone." I could respect that. The second reason is that I was getting reckless. The nut that connects the seatbelt to the handlebars? Yeah, that was me. If there wasn't any traffic, I was doing 120, critters be damned. I had a Yamaha Warrior...Big power cruiser, and I used all that power all the time. If there was traffic, I couldn't relax. It wasn't enjoyable for me to ride (the greater metro area I'm in is about a million people, so there is always traffic).

So I sold the bikes. Sometimes, I think I'd like another. My wife and I never had kids, and I've grown up a bit in the last 10'ish years. But...the jeep usually scratches that itch for me. I mountain bike if I want to feel like I'm going fast on two wheels (don't laugh until you've gone through a tree gap 6" wider than your bars at 20MPH).

I definitely get the mod bug scratched with the jeep. That part is laughable! I've spent so much more time and money on the jeep than I did on the bikes...SO much more!

Reactions: John Cooper

I totally get what you're saying. I had a Husky dual sport a few years ago. Rode it on and off road, a lot in dirt and sand, using it for what it was designed for. I realized at some point that I was getting too old for that shit, and get offs hurt a lot more than they did when I was younger.
I will say, even at my age, riding in the dirt made me a better street rider. I was way more in tune with what I was feeling under me.

Reactions: Jim King