One of those rifles

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
The wife found herself an early Ruger 44 mag carbine a dozen or so years ago, and absolutely loves shooting it. She wants to use it as her Jeep gun, which is cool. The problem is it's horribly picky on the ammo it likes. Now, it'll never match my Winchester M52-C for accuracy, but jeez, patterns instead of groups!? I've tried reloading for it off and on since she bought it, usually with poor results. It only seems to like the Magtech 44 SJSP ammo. The cheap CBC Brazilian stuff. THAT it'll shoot just fine. I've checked everything that I can think of, and have had the carbine all the way apart several times. Boy is that a time consuming joy. (/sarc) No positive results. Magtech, or might as well throw rocks.

Anyone else ever own a picky firearm? Compared to this thing, everything else in the safe is a dream...

Reactions: Mrgreg66
my ruger 77-22 hornet. here is a pic in my new gun rack in my tj

20190415_202426.jpg

I have a Beretta .40
My buddy bought some S&W shorty.
He bought some shitty ammo to go along with it and we both shot 2 clips of his ammo. Mine shot clean. His jammed 3 times. Both shot my federal rounds with no problems

While the Ruger 44 semiauto is a reliable, lightweight handy carbine, they are not known for their accuracy. 4-5" groups at 100 yards are the norm. Stick with 240-250 grain 44 bullets. Other than insuring that the action screws are tight, the other area of the stock which could be a source of inaccuracy is the metal muzzle band at the fore-end. After removing it, ream, file or slightly grind the barrel portion so it is a sliding fit on the barrel. When you fire the rifle and the barrel heats up, the slight interference fit will not shift the point of impact as much as if it were tightly fitted. Ruger barrels, especially the early ones were outside sourced from Wilson (Ruger now makes them in house) and are a hit or miss proposition regarding quality. JB bore cleaning should help.

Reactions: StG58 and DrDmoney
The wife found herself an early Ruger 44 mag carbine a dozen or so years ago, and absolutely loves shooting it. She wants to use it as her Jeep gun, which is cool. The problem is it's horribly picky on the ammo it likes. Now, it'll never match my Winchester M52-C for accuracy, but jeez, patterns instead of groups!? I've tried reloading for it off and on since she bought it, usually with poor results. It only seems to like the Magtech 44 SJSP ammo. The cheap CBC Brazilian stuff. THAT it'll shoot just fine. I've checked everything that I can think of, and have had the carbine all the way apart several times. Boy is that a time consuming joy. (/sarc) No positive results. Magtech, or might as well throw rocks.

Anyone else ever own a picky firearm? Compared to this thing, everything else in the safe is a dream...
I've got the Marlin lever action 44 carbine. Love that rifle have used it for years for pig hunting with my dogs. I just threw it over my shoulder, head through the sling and go, both hands free. Killed a lot of big boars with it shooting 240 gr bullet. Never let me down and it got wet and muddy at times. Now I had two friends that both had 44 rifles too. One was the Ruger....he always had problems with it, it wouldn't feed right or something. The other a lever action Winchester which kept jamming on him.

I won’t tolerate a picky gun. Lose it and try another. My only Ruger is the MK IV .22 Hunter. Lovely to shoot. Has feeding problems. Pain to take down. It just sits there now

Reactions: StG58
Now a Ruger 10-22 that I would love to have! Almost bought one numerous times. Only thing holding me back was my AR .22 conversion kit. Slip that puppy in and have a ball all day!

You need to toss loads in different chambers occasionally to maintain good accuracy. You get sloppy frequenting the same old bore.

Reactions: StG58
The wife found herself an early Ruger 44 mag carbine a dozen or so years ago, and absolutely loves shooting it. She wants to use it as her Jeep gun, which is cool. The problem is it's horribly picky on the ammo it likes.

Have you taken the Ruger to a gunsmith? I've had a few guns that were finicky on either feed or eject and my local gunsmith was able to fix them. It was always something simple.

10-22, good & fun rifle. I've got 32 years on mine and thousands of rounds. Taught my wife and both daughters how to use a rifle with it.

Reactions: DrDmoney