Oops, I opened the door

To be fair, the Bronco that went with us to Moab went into limp mode coming down from Top of the World. It's computer got confused when the guy shifted modes on his dial a trail condition wheel. Luckily we were going downhill so he used gravity.

It reset at the bottom after he could drive straight for a while.

To many computers on board new vehicles. Any too many interconnections. KISS.

To be fair, the Bronco that went with us to Moab went into limp mode coming down from Top of the World. It's computer got confused when the guy shifted modes. Luckily we were going downhill so he used gravity.

It reset at the bottom after he could drive straight for a while.

The recent Lite Brite video on their Bronco had theirs go into limp mode a few times on the trail. Shutting it off and restarting reset it.

• Haha
Reactions: RINC
We pulled the battery cable and his didn't change. Maybe there has been a software update.

The software development practice of sending crap out the door without fully debugging it first is starting to creep into every product due to the proliferation of microprocessors in products. Not good. Not good at all, and I'm afraid it'll only get worse. Like we do with PCs, we'll all be rebooting our cars, toilets, refrigerators, etc. before too long.

The software development practice of sending crap out the door without fully debugging it first is starting to creep into every product due to the proliferation of microprocessors in products. Not good. Not good at all, and I'm afraid it'll only get worse. Like we do with PCs, we'll all be rebooting our cars, toilets, refrigerators, etc. before too long.

I am a drum brake and carburetor kinda guy.

Full disclosure: I didn’t watch the video. I know lots of folks don’t like EVs just because or whatever and I am not convinced either (although I think there is potential).

But the software glitch issue is as relevant for modern ICE vehicles as it is for EVs. Its what keeps me from replacing my 15 year old Dodge Cummins tow rig. I would seriously consider a new f350 with a 1200ft/lb powerstroke but the local Ford dealer is not on my top 10 list and the electronic issues aren’t something I can fix at home or would want to on a $70-100K truck under warranty. So my Dodge will keep soldiering on…

This is a problem for early adopters of any new tech. It's now acceptable to release something that 'mostly' works, figuring they can fix it later. The release date is decided by the finance dept, usually around a quarterly goal or to beat the competition's release. If it's not ready, well too bad, it's getting released. The only way to avoid this is to wait until the major bugs have been fixed. Though the salesman isn't going to tell you this.

This is a problem for early adopters of any new tech. It's now acceptable to release something that 'mostly' works, figuring they can fix it later. The release date is decided by the finance dept, usually around a quarterly goal or to beat the competition's release. If it's not ready, well too bad, it's getting released. The only way to avoid this is to wait until the major bugs have been fixed. Though the salesman isn't going to tell you this.

Oh, the stories I could tell about beancounters ignoring the engineers when determining product development timelines...

Oh, the stories I could tell about beancounters ignoring the engineers when determining product development timelines...

I work in IT and a lot of that goes on with projects. Sales and management will quote 10 hours for a 40+ hour project and then ask why you're not finishing on time...

Reactions: RangerTJ
One of the reasons I wanted a TJ, less electronics then our JK. Easier to work on. Probably will do most of my wheeling in the TJ. Realizing there wasn’t any ABS on it alone brought a big smile to face.

Of course my 55 Willy’s was really easy to work on 😂.

Reactions: RINC and RangerTJ