OPDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
When I called the Chrysler recall #800 with the VIN for my 05 Rubicon (built 10/04) , the woman on the phone said that my Jeep had its OPDA replaced in 2005. Being a paranoid right wing curmudgeon in my early 40's, I'm left wondering if (1) she knew what she was talking about (2) was the issue resolved in 05 and )3) should I just buy a Crown and (re)do the repair?

I've just posted in another thread regarding this but we've had a 2005 and 2006 that needed the OPDA replaced under warranty. Both were fine after that.

When I called the Chrysler recall #800 with the VIN for my 05 Rubicon (built 10/04) , the woman on the phone said that my Jeep had its OPDA replaced in 2005. Being a paranoid right wing curmudgeon in my early 40's, I'm left wondering if (1) she knew what she was talking about (2) was the issue resolved in 05 and )3) should I just buy a Crown and (re)do the repair?
Did she say how she knew? I know u can't push these folks but I wonder if they get 'good' at deflecting calls like this...

I seriously doubt the OPDA was replaced in 2005 on yout 2005 model. And be aware there is no permanent fix, none actually fix the problem which is the lack of lubrication reaching the OPDA & camshaft gear area which is partly due in fact to the 2005-6 blocks being machined differently which requires a design that doesn't get oil into that area. Some have replaced the OPDA with the Crown/Dorman kits only to find they needed a new camshaft 60-70k miles later. Some have installed grease zerks and keep that area packed full of grease but that isn't common and there weren't any comments about that mod indicating it was a good permanent fix either.

Here is a very good thread on the OPDA issue....https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-is-the-opda-and-do-i-need-to-change-mine.80/

Reactions: jeep_boss and KCsTJ
I seriously doubt the OPDA was replaced in 2005 on yout 2005 model. And be aware there is no permanent fix, none actually fix the problem which is the lack of lubrication reaching the OPDA & camshaft gear area which is partly due in fact to the 2005-6 blocks being machined differently which requires a design that doesn't get oil into that area. Some have replaced the OPDA with the Crown/Dorman kits only to find they needed a new camshaft 60-70k miles later. Some have installed grease zerks and keep that area packed full of grease but that isn't common and there weren't any comments about that mod indicating it was a good permanent fix either.

Here is a very good thread on the OPDA issue....https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-is-the-opda-and-do-i-need-to-change-mine.80/

Yeah I had scanned that thread prior to buying a Rubicon while researching the platform and known issues (it was one of the first searches that landed me on this forum).

I'll have a Crown OPDA in hand tomorrow. Shouldn't hurt to replace the one I have circa 2005. My Jeep was built 10/04, but I haven't scanned the build date yet on my block to see when it was casted.

Reactions: Chris
On both our Tjs the OPDA went within the first year. So yes a 2005 could have had the OPDA replaced same year. From my experience they start get a high pitched squeal when it happens, so you do know about it.
With the amount of these vehicles in service at the age they are, it appears to be a fairly small percentage effected. I wouldn’t be overly worried and replace the thing if you are.

On both our Tjs the OPDA went within the first year. So yes a 2005 could have had the OPDA replaced same year. From my experience they start get a high pitched squeal when it happens, so you do know about it.
With the amount of these vehicles in service at the age they are, it appears to be a fairly small percentage effected. I wouldn’t be overly worried and replace the thing if you are.

Yeah I hear that. It's like the S65 motor in my '11 M3 almost, where there is a bunch of overhyped FUD about the rod bearings going out prematurely. Very tiny percentage of incidents and lots of bad press. Another supid engineering issue with potential for catastrophe though!

Also keep in mind, that the only news that travels fast is bad news. I've owned two 2005s so far, and none of them have given me OPDA issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an 05 model again at all either. Just listen for it, and if you hear the noises starting to happen, stop driving it immediately and replace the OPDA. Or just replace it with the Crown OPDA right off the bat and not worry about it at all.

I personally think that the issue is blown out of proportion. You read about all the people who have had OPDA issues, but rarely read about the ones who haven't. Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: skrelnik
I may have read what somebody said wrong but I think he said...”and be aware there is no permanent fix” why fix the OPDA is it’s not going to fix it?

Also keep in mind, that the only news that travels fast is bad news. I've owned two 2005s so far, and none of them have given me OPDA issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an 05 model again at all either. Just listen for it, and if you hear the noises starting to happen, stop driving it immediately and replace the OPDA. Or just replace it with the Crown OPDA right off the bat and not worry about it at all.

I personally think that the issue is blown out of proportion. You read about all the people who have had OPDA issues, but rarely read about the ones who haven't. Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

+1

I feel like a sucker because I fell for the internet hype around the OPDA. I swapped mine out, and it just happened to be in great shape. $120 wasted on internet hype. If it squeals it failed, if not you are okay.

Reactions: Chris and Starrs

I completely agree with your assessment. This issue is way over hyped! It reminds me of a Polaris snowmobile issue in the early 2000,s there were a small percentage of the 800 rmk engines that had their crankshafts break off at the primary clutch. For several years that’s all you heard about. In reality most failed within the first 1000 miles due to a batch of poorly balanced clutches. If you listened to the forum chatter you would never have anything to do with that year or engine. I worked on hundreds of them and never saw a broken crank! This OPDA issue is similar in impact, but I can assure you some people won’t quit trying to scare people away from 05/06 TJ’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my question would then be - what is the service interval for replacing an OPDA?

If/when it makes noise. It's not a sudden catastrophic failure.

I may have read what somebody said wrong but I think he said...”and be aware there is no permanent fix” why fix the OPDA is it’s not going to fix it?

First we have to define the term. I can't think of a "permanent fix" for anything, except life.

Reactions: BendLarry and Chris
If/when it makes noise. It's not a sudden catastrophic failure.

Like @ohiopatriot said, there is no service interval, just replace it as soon as it starts making noise.

Other sources on the Internet had led me to believe that by the time you started hearing noises (if any), it may have been too late already. I'm not one to fall for FUD, but I would consider myself to be proactive - so hopefully there is some validation to the hundred and whatever I spent on a new OPDA!

The issue is that the bearings dry out. If you hear the noise, I'd be changing the unit.

From my experience its not like the IMS failures that some Porsche engines have, where the complete valve train falls into the pistons. This is a simple low-cost repair, if you do the repair when it arises.

You do have to think though, If the OPDA has lasted say 70k and is fine, have the seals worn enough to be providing some lubrication to the bearings?

Else treat it like a timing belt, replace it every 50k. After all, it's a $100 part.

Reactions: BendLarry and Chris
Other sources on the Internet had led me to believe that by the time you started hearing noises (if any), it may have been too late already. I'm not one to fall for FUD, but I would consider myself to be proactive - so hopefully there is some validation to the hundred and whatever I spent on a new OPDA!

Well, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to take it out and inspect it to make sure there’s no metal missing from it or anything. I did that with mine and it’s very easy to do and gives some piece of mind.

The issue is that the bearings dry out. If you hear the noise, I'd be changing the unit.

From my experience its not like the IMS failures that some Porsche engines have, where the complete valve train falls into the pistons. This is a simple low-cost repair, if you do the repair when it arises.

You do have to think though, If the OPDA has lasted say 70k and is fine, have the seals worn enough to be providing some lubrication to the bearings?

Else treat it like a timing belt, replace it every 50k. After all, it's a $100 part.

X2, this is solid advice. Replace it every certain amount of miles and you’d be fine. It’s a cheap enough part anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.