OPDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm kinda burned out with the OPDA stuff myself, honestly.
I replaced mine out of " unnecessary " fear from Internet .
The original looked brand new as did my brothers.
The saying goes.....you can't believe everything you hear.

You can put an replacement interval on it, or spend your money on something you need, after all its your money.

Reactions: Starrs
Alright, something does NOT seem right here. I opened the Crown OPDA that I ordered from Amazon, and this thing looks like a cheap piece of Chinesium shit. I'm not sure if they all look this way, but I have grave concerns over the build quality and legitimacy of this thing.

Can anyone else verify whether or not the quality of this thing is suppose to be an F-?

Alright, something does NOT seem right here. I opened the Crown OPDA that I ordered from Amazon, and this thing looks like a cheap piece of Chinesium shit. I'm not sure if they all look this way, but I have grave concerns over the build quality and legitimacy of this thing.

Can anyone else verify whether or not the quality of this thing is suppose to be an F-?

I used a Crown OPDA on my old TJ and never had an issue with it at all. I don’t think many have, given how much it’s used. Just make sure to swap over your CPS sensor on your old OPDA in exchange for the Crown CPS sensor, since it will give you trouble.

I used a Crown OPDA on my old TJ and never had an issue with it at all. I don’t think many have, given how much it’s used. Just make sure to swap over your CPS sensor on your old OPDA in exchange for the Crown CPS sensor, since it will give you trouble.

Yep, I'm not sure what that is all about, but it is on my list. As far as the build quality issues that I brought up though - are they suppose to feel this cheap or did I possibly get duped on Amazon with a counterfeit part?

Yep, I'm not sure what that is all about, but it is on my list. As far as the build quality issues that I brought up though - are they suppose to feel this cheap or did I possibly get duped on Amazon with a counterfeit part?

Mine didn’t feel cheap or flimsy at all. Maybe post some photos?

No,
When I called the Chrysler recall #800 with the VIN for my 05 Rubicon (built 10/04) , the woman on the phone said that my Jeep had its OPDA replaced in 2005. Being a paranoid right wing curmudgeon in my early 40's, I'm left wondering if (1) she knew what she was talking about (2) was the issue resolved in 05 and )3) should I just buy a Crown and (re)do the repair?
I did the same thing, mine was recalled in '07. 200K miles later, no problem.

Did you buy it from an authorized Crown reseller? If not it is more probable than not that it's a fake. Amazon has no quality control and permit anyone to sell anything advertised in any manner.

Over the summer I was trying to order a 3M heat shrink tubing kit and Amazon was only selling fakes. I had to go to WalMart to find the real 3M product. Because of that, and a couple other issues, I no longer use Amazon unless I have no other choice, and can confirm the Seller is an authorized reseller. Ebay has much better pricing for the replicas, as replicas do serve a purpose, but not for an OPDA.

Reactions: jeep_boss
Mine didn’t feel cheap or flimsy at all. Maybe post some photos?

Here you go... notice the scar left from their assembly process under the threading (under the cap on the upper left side), cheap / shitty silver body paint, and bad paint on the cap. It feels CHEAP, if you have ever handled pure Chinesium, then this is it right here:

1B361278-FF00-4D6A-93E9-3CD11D49E362.jpeg
9D975B8E-0375-47A8-890E-E7B89EEB0837.jpeg

Ahhh, I hate to say it, but that's what mine looks like. It doesn't look as good as the OE one, you're tight, but I never had an issue with it, and many others haven't either (as long as you swap out the included CPS for the Mopar version).

I seriously doubt the OPDA was replaced in 2005 on yout 2005 model. And be aware there is no permanent fix, none actually fix the problem which is the lack of lubrication reaching the OPDA & camshaft gear area which is partly due in fact to the 2005-6 blocks being machined differently which requires a design that doesn't get oil into that area.

Check out the TSB for the 2005... it specifically instructs the technicians on what to do. Essentially they drilled a hole in one of the pins so the oil could flow freely.

Reactions: jeep_boss and Chris
Here you go... notice the scar left from their assembly process under the threading (under the cap on the upper left side), cheap / shitty silver body paint, and bad paint on the cap. It feels CHEAP, if you have ever handled pure Chinesium, then this is it right here:

View attachment 31292 View attachment 31293

My Crown looks exactly like that one and my impressions were the same....didn't feel as sturdy as OEM.
20180208_122655.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Unfortunately, no Chinese part is going to feel as good as OE. But, this is the only thing we have to work with unfortunately, since Mopar no longer makes the OPDA from my understanding.

Reactions: Chris
For those who don't want to stick their head in the ground or listen to a few who try to claim this isn't a real issue, here are a couple more informative threads.

Head-in-Sand.gif

http://www.j e ep for u m.com/forum/f9/chrysler-paying-install-new-cam-2005-2006-owners-should-read-963235/

http://www.w ran glerfor um.com/f282/2005-and-2006-tj-ljs-opda-barrel-of-laughing-monkeys-and-reimbursement-write-up-165186.html

Take out the spaces in those two above URLs to use the links...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.