Opened rear diff and found this

Bofa-Deez

TJ Enthusiast
2005 Rubicon with 125k miles.

Coming home from work today I noticed a pronounced growl only about a mile away from home, but it was on deceleration only. By the time I got to the driveway, it felt like the drivetrain was locking up.

Jacked up all 4 wheels and turned tires by hand and they freely turned with no noise. Started engine, put it in 1st and let it idle, no binding, no noise. Put in in 3rd and 4wd, and isolated a slight noise in the rear diff. Pulled the cover and found this
IMG_20190822_180151.jpg

IMG_20190822_180326.jpg

I know I have a pinion issue, and only one of the marks is as bad as it looks. No oil leaking on the outside of the diff near the pinion area.

Next step is to pull the carrier I assume?

What to look for after that?

I really need this thing for work this weekend, so is this gonna be an all nighter? Is it even possible to fix tonight?

Thanks in advanced

Hard to tell, but your ring gear looks bad. I imagine the pinion is also. If your short on money, buy some new pinion bearings and throw it together. Make sure to loctite the nut.

If you're going one a short trip this weekend I might try and just put it back together but I'd plan on a full rebuild soon. Metal that got into the bearings could cause later damage. The ring gear looks like it has some funky wear going on now and I'd guess the pinion does too.

Reactions: Daryl
The trip is an hour each way and I have to make it Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It's definately not motorcycle weather here either

It’s just your pinion bearing. Inspect the pinion. If it’s good just get a master install kit and pay to have it installed and re-setup.

I would not drive it. Worst case scenario, the pinion bearing will get to hot which could cause the axle housing damage. Not probable but possible.

I'm not a differential expert but could the OP remove the ring gear, re-install the carrier and drive with the front axle engaged?

Okay, so I got it all apart and it was the pinion nut that backed off.

IMG_20190822_195740.jpg

IMG_20190822_195753.jpg

IMG_20190822_195822.jpg

Does this look like a full re-gear needs to be done, or just seals and shit while I have it apart?

Okay, so I got it all apart and it was the pinion nut that backed off.

View attachment 111085

View attachment 111086

View attachment 111087

Does this look like a full re-gear needs to be done, or just seals and shit while I have it apart?

They’re ruined, need replaced. Would be a good time to regear if you’ve ever thought about it. Like I said, if you’re short on money, clean out all the metal you can and run it. Use loctite on the nut. Might last a week, might last a month, who knows.

They’re ruined, need replaced. Would be a good time to regear if you’ve ever thought about it. Like I said, if you’re short on money, clean out all the metal you can and run it. Use loctite on the nut. Might last a week, might last a month, who knows.

Damn. This couldn't have come at a worse time. If I put them back together, what would be the symptoms when they go? Just whining, or some catastrophic failure that leaves me stranded?

No off-road, just hwy use

It’ll start whining or growling. Just listen to what sound it makes when you put it back together. When that noise changes or gets louder, time to fix it right.

It’ll start whining or growling. Just listen to what sound it makes when you put it back together. When that noise changes or gets louder, time to fix it right.

Thanks for the help. So for now, clean it out and change the pinion seal and then reassemble?

Thanks for the help. So for now, clean it out and change the pinion seal and then reassemble?

The only thing I recommend is a full rebuild. However, I do understand not having any money. Grind any high spots off everything that was scarred with a 3M Roloc type disc. Or a file, whatever you got. Clean everything including the housing with brake clean. Inspect the bearings, if they pass the visual test, put it back together and loctite the nut.

The only thing I recommend is a full rebuild. However, I do understand not having any money. Grind any high spots off everything that was scarred with a 3M Roloc type disc. Or a file, whatever you got. Clean everything including the housing with brake clean. Inspect the bearings, if they pass the visual test, put it back together and loctite the nut.

I completely understand what you are saying here. A complete rebuild is in my future. My bike is normally my daily driver but the weather has been totally shitty here. I really need a couple more weeks out of the jeep. Sucks that a friggin nit can cause all this. It was quiet as can be before 1 mile away from the house today

I completely understand what you are saying here. A complete rebuild is in my future. My bike is normally my daily driver but the weather has been totally shitty here. I really need a couple more weeks out of the jeep. Sucks that a friggin nit can cause all this. It was quiet as can be before 1 mile away from the house today

Yeah, it sucks. Once it’s loose, it’s all downhill from there.

Pinion nut loosened, pinion struck carrier, significant change in pinion depth cooked the gear set. It needs an entire rebuild. I would not run it as is. The pinion came loose for a reason; in all likelihood due to pinion bearings going bad. Throwing it back together with a seal is a disaster waiting to happen. I can guarantee it was making noise for a while before it let loose. You just didn't notice it.

Reactions: mots
Pinion nut loosened, pinion struck carrier, significant change in pinion depth cooked the gear set. It needs an entire rebuild. I would not run it as is. The pinion came loose for a reason; in all likelihood due to pinion bearings going bad. Throwing it back together with a seal is a disaster waiting to happen. I can guarantee it was making noise for a while before it let loose. You just didn't notice it.

Maybe, but I really am in tune with every little creek, tick, hum or thump in every one of my vehicles. I knew instantly when I heard it that something was wrong and I drive it every day, sometimes for hours at a time. I may have missed it, but I think this was a freak occurance.

Reactions: Long Rider
Maybe, but I really am in tune with every little creek, tick, hum or thump in every one of my vehicles. I knew instantly when I heard it that something was wrong and I drive it every day, sometimes for hours at a time. I may have missed it, but I think this was a freak occurance.
If you ain’t got far to go. You can remove your rear drive line and use 4 high.