Opened rear diff and found this

I think I'm just going to go full rebuild. When I'm in the jeep, I really depend on it. Not trying to half-ass this

That’s the best thing to do. Putting it back together without replacing anything would be akin to a trail fix to get you home. In your case the “trail is 1000 miles long.

Reactions: mots
That’s the best thing to do. Putting it back together without replacing anything would be akin to a trail fix to get you home. In your case the “trail is 1000 miles long.

What would be the expected fair cost to do a full rebuild keeping the stock ratio?

Goldwing, that’s a Cadillac.

Complete rear ends for that thing are like $50 all day long because of the trike kit installs. Some of them have less than 100 miles when taken off. I'm gonna call an get quotes for the jeep rebuild tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to the numbers 😭

Pinion nut loosened, pinion struck carrier, significant change in pinion depth cooked the gear set. It needs an entire rebuild. I would not run it as is. The pinion came loose for a reason; in all likelihood due to pinion bearings going bad. Throwing it back together with a seal is a disaster waiting to happen. I can guarantee it was making noise for a while before it let loose. You just didn't notice it.
This guy knows his differentials. He’s seen more rear ends than most proctologists.

Nothing good is going to come from just reassembly with those parts.

I had the same thing happen basically.

Also , if you think it’s expensive hiring a pro to do it, wait til you hire an amateur .

I'm about to start making calls this morning. What would be a fair price for just the rear end rebuild of the gears?

Also, anybody have any experience with shops in the South Louisiana area? I have never had any rear end work done and have no idea where to start looking.

Motorcycle and rain gear. I surely wouldnt put the rear end back together and drive.

FWIW, I had a front axle rebuilt a number of years ago and they charged me $1k for the master install kit, and labor.

Okay, where is the best place to start looking? Most of the 4x4 shops here look like just lift kit and plastic diamond plate installs. Look for independant mechanic shop? Transmission shop?

I don't know enough about the different markets to speak, but I promise you if it's done well you will not feel taken advantage of.

I know this is broad but probably 12 to 1600 is somewhere along the national average total per differential... But please don't hold me to that and I'm not trying to price anybody else's work.

What I am really trying to convey is someone that knows what they're doing is well worth paying to do it.

Okay, where is the best place to start looking? Most of the 4x4 shops here look like just lift kit and plastic diamond plate installs. Look for independant mechanic shop? Transmission shop?
I see you're in Thibodaux. If you can trailer it or otherwise get it to the Baton Rouge area, PM me for the "go-to" guy in the BR area for gear work. He regeared my Rubicon a couple of years ago with excellent results, and doesn't do much else besides gears.

Well I put a few feelers out
I see you're in Thibodaux. If you can trailer it or otherwise get it to the Baton Rouge area, PM me for the "go-to" guy in the BR area for gear work. He regeared my Rubicon a couple of years ago with excellent results, and doesn't do much else besides gears.

Thanks. PM sent

Your local Jeep clubs probably have good recommendations as well. You might find a guy that does it part time from his garage and has good results with the locals. You may want to pay a bit more to go to a place with a warranty on their work instead. And you want to let the shop buy the parts generally, as they will then cover them in case of failure.

Reactions: Long Rider
You need your differential rebuilt. Find a differential shop. If a shop says they can "probably do it, have done a few, should not be a problem," keep looking.

Reactions: AndyG and tworley
You need your differential rebuilt. Find a differential shop. If a shop says they can "probably do it, have done a few, should not be a problem," keep looking.
Exactly . If they aren't dead sure what they are doing , don't let them touch it .