Opinion on rust on prospective purchase

Bert McMuppet

I'm looking at a '99 Sport with ~80K miles. I tapped on the frame and it was solid, but there is a fair amount of surface rust, and in a couple of places on the frame where there is some flaking. Is this something I can remediate, or is the frame too rusty at this point? The Jeep itself seems mechanically sound; drives well, shifts smoothly, no strange sounds or smells.

IMG_20211031_141931.jpg

IMG_20211031_141943.jpg

IMG_20211031_141947.jpg

IMG_20211031_141956.jpg

IMG_20211031_141959.jpg

IMG_20211031_142024.jpg

IMG_20211031_142029.jpg

IMG_20211031_142038.jpg

IMG_20211031_142042.jpg

IMG_20211031_142045.jpg

IMG_20211031_142117.jpg

IMG_20211031_142121.jpg

Reactions: matkal
I would not be concerned with that, especially if its a good deal and it runs well. Check the gas tank crossmember, that will always have the worst rust so if it isn't too bad there then you are probably good.

I'll echo the other replies. Looks more than reasonable for a 20+ year old frame based on the photos. If you grab it, get to work with a wire brush, then coat it with one of the various rust prevention options on the market and call it a day if you feel inclined to. I wouldn't bat an eye at it personally. But I also live in Colorado and we don't see cancerous rust often. Never mind the CJs I checked the interior of from the pavement under the floorboards...

Yup, looks good. I would feel around inside those frame holes above the skid plate. Do you feel any loose rust chunks? But otherwise looks (y)

Doesn’t look bad at all. Certainly looks like you can get ahead of any major rust issues

Like others have said it looks damn good. Double check inside the frame holes for rust chunks at the low parts of the frame and above the skid plate. These frames rust from the inside out

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty good at first glance, but keep these things in mind:
  • The frames usually rust from the inside out. So, in that second picture where the rust is worse around the hole, you can tell that there is surely also some even worse rust on the inside of the frame. It also concerns me that there is a bit of flaking and deterioration right around that hole. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but you want to stick a finger in there (or a cheap scope off Amazon if possible) and see how things look. If you buy it, you'll want to treat that area first, and there are lots of threads on this forum with instructions on how to do that well.
  • The area between the transmission skid and the frame (your third and fourth pics) is also notorious. If you buy it, you'll want to remove the skid (read on this forum about how) and see what that part of the frame looks like. It's surely need some cleaning and application of rust preventative at the last.
So, this means that there's no real guarantee that everything is ok, until you look inside the frame and also look between the skid and the frame. It looks to me like you'll have some work to do, but many of us have done it to our TJs, and so far I don't think any of us are seeing any big red flags.

My notes, experience, and shopping list can be found here.

I'm looking at a '99 Sport with ~80K miles. I tapped on the frame and it was solid.

Bert, tapping on a frame to check for rust is idiotic, but you're a Muppet with no brain so the shoe does fit. The frame has to be shot for that to tell you anything, other than to run away. You HAVE to look inside the frame where the rust starts to know anything. Another Troll or new paying member?
p.s. Ernie was much better looking. 🤫

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun
Bert, tapping on a frame to check for rust is idiotic, but you're a Muppet with no brain so the shoe does fit. The frame has to be shot for that to tell you anything, other than to run away. You HAVE to look inside the frame where the rust starts to know anything. Another Troll or new paying member?
p.s. Ernie was much better looking.

I did stick my finger in some of the holes, and could feel some stuff in there, I assume rust flakes.

This is why what B Man said is important. The outside can look fine, but inside is hiding stuff like this. That doesn't mean freak out, but simply means know what you're getting into. Even stuff like this is treatable, provided you don't ignore it and are willing to do some work.

rust-jpg.jpg

Reactions: TheBoogieman
That frame looks to have some good life in it but will need attention to last. Avoiding driving around salt would be a good place to start followed by cleaning up some of the exterior rust and treating the inside of the frame.

Reactions: Irun
I think it looks pretty good at first glance, but keep these things in mind:
  • The frames usually rust from the inside out. So, in that second picture where the rust is worse around the hole, you can tell that there is surely also some even worse rust on the inside of the frame. It also concerns me that there is a bit of flaking and deterioration right around that hole. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but you want to stick a finger in there (or a cheap scope off Amazon if possible) and see how things look. If you buy it, you'll want to treat that area first, and there are lots of threads on this forum with instructions on how to do that well.
  • The area between the transmission skid and the frame (your third and fourth pics) is also notorious. If you buy it, you'll want to remove the skid (read on this forum about how) and see what that part of the frame looks like. It's surely need some cleaning and application of rust preventative at the last.
So, this means that there's no real guarantee that everything is ok, until you look inside the frame and also look between the skid and the frame. It looks to me like you'll have some work to do, but many of us have done it to our TJs, and so far I don't think any of us are seeing any big red flags.

My notes, experience, and shopping list can be found here.
Thank you, this is very helpful.

odd that "OK" is written upside down on the frame in the 7th photo and the exhaust mount is bolted to the frame over part of the writing somewhat recently from what it looks like.

not that it particularly matters because the frame looks good for Michigan, does the VIN number on the frame match the VIN on the dash? may have already been swapped once 🤷‍♂️ VIN on the frame should be on the passenger side, somewhere in the area shown in your 11th photo

I’ve got no certainty on the possibility of a frame swap, just stood out to me that What looks to be OK penned in freehand on the frame. Seemed odd but could have been done at the factory. Maybe mine has been cleaned off and I wouldn’t have seen it.

Last edited:
odd that "OK" is written upside down on the frame in the 7th photo and the exhaust mount is bolted to the frame over part of the writing somewhat recently from what it looks like.

not that it particularly matters because the frame looks good for Michigan, does the VIN number on the frame match the VIN on the dash? may have already been swapped once 🤷‍♂️ VIN on the frame should be on the passenger side, somewhere in the area shown in your 11th photo

I’ve got no certainty on the possibility of a frame swap, just stood out to me that What looks to be OK penned in freehand on the frame. Seemed odd but could have been done at the factory. Maybe mine has been cleaned off and I wouldn’t have seen it.
The VINs did match, but that's a welcome reminder! The OK is a bit strange, but the Jeep has been owned entirely within Oklahoma (OK), maybe that explains it? ETA: Old destination marker, perhaps?