Opinions on Crown Automotive service parts please

Shropshirewrangler

TJ Enthusiast
Over here in the U.K. it is easier to find Crown Automotive service parts for my 2002 4.0 Auto.

I'm looking for air and oil filters and know from experience that some after market parts brands are best avoided.

So simple question - are Crown Automotive parts crap or excellent.

Thanks in advance for your input.

My experience with Crown has been positive. I've used their OPDA, factory replacement control arms, and fender flares. I never had any issue with any of them.

Yes, they are made in China, but given some of the other shitty Chinese stuff out there, they seem to be reasonably well made.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
Hi,

I live in France.

I buy parts at rockauto.

The shipping cost are cheap.

Rather takes an adelco air filter, there is an additional foam compared to the crown which in paper.

So simple question - are Crown Automotive parts crap or excellent.

I have no real experience with Crown but while I hoping they aren't crap, I'd be very surprised if "excellent" was the answer.

FWIW, I've heard nothing good about Crown's early 70s CJ windshield frame replacements, but I've never heard anything good about any others either.

...there is an additional foam compared to the crown which in paper.
There is nothing that is made from paper inside our oil filters. Yes it may look like paper or cardboard but neither paper nor cardboard would stand up to hot pressurized oil. If it looks like paper or cardboard it's actually a synthetic fiber.

Edit: Whoops he was talking about air filters, I misread it and thought he meant oil filters.

Last edited:
Jerry, I think he meant the air filter has some other fibers on it.
There is nothing that is made from paper inside our oil filters. Yes it may look like paper or cardboard but neither paper nor cardboard would stand up to hot pressurized oil. If it looks like paper or cardboard it's actually a synthetic fiber.

Hi Jerry,
Excuse my approximate American,
I was talking about the air filter ;)

I've not used any big items from Crown, but have used a coolant recovery tank, the inserts in a half door that the door panel screws go into and some black door lock cylinder bezels. They did what they needed to do with no problems.

I have a Crown opda, and exhaust manifold for the 4.0L on my daughters xj, 1yr and counting no issues.

I forgot, I have bought a Crown OPDA, but it's sitting on the shelve in case the need arises.

Thanks for your replies, the results seem to run from crap to O.K.
As usual with aftermarket parts suppliers it seems to boil down to individual items.
Based on your replies I'm going to keep looking for a decent OEM/Genuine parts supplier.

I had a problem with the multifunction/turn signal switch a while back. I tried 2 or 3 aftermarket parts from local parts shops only to experience a different problem. I found a Crown multifunction switch and it cleared up everything. Works great. Searching the internet and I guess the aftermarket switches are notoriously trash.