Opinions on frameless tops?

penk

TJ Enthusiast
So this cold rainy weather is getting me down. Old yeller normally hasa bikini top on, and that's just not good for rain and < 60 degree weather. I'm concerned Siderhaving a besttop NX or similar (rampage seems to make one also) that works with door surrounds and can be Upped off if I want to go back to bikini land.

It's not a cheap investment. Anyone have opinions? Goal is to be able to plan camping weekends and be able to u zip for nice weather or zip up if things turn nasty.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I am a Rampage fan.

Bestop is probably better quality but it costs more money, and I think it is more complicated than it needs to be.

The great thing about the Rampage one is you can run as a safari top, and store the windows in the pouch contained in the top so you have your windows with you when you need them.

Rampage requires rampage channel header, but works with OEM or Bestop Door Surrounds and Tailgate Bar.

I have the Bestop NX Trek, twil, and I love it. Great protection, comes apart easy, and I found the cabin noise was greatly reduced. It has a really good fit, and doesn't flop around at the higher speeds. The windows are fairly easy to roll up in fleece blankets (the 2 dollar ones at Walmart) and store. I do like the idea of storing the windows in the top like Rampage as FT176 mentioned, but I'm happy with what I have. For me, it was worth the money. It also came with the surrounds, and installation was simple.

I have the Bestop NX Trek, twil, and I love it. Great protection, comes apart easy, and I found the cabin noise was greatly reduced. It has a really good fit, and doesn't flop around at the higher speeds. The windows are fairly easy to roll up in fleece blankets (the 2 dollar ones at Walmart) and store. I do like the idea of storing the windows in the top like Rampage as FT176 mentioned, but I'm happy with what I have. For me, it was worth the money. It also came with the surrounds, and installation was simple.

I run a hard top in the Winter, and I try to run without a top as much as possible during the warmer months. If i was going to go with a soft top year round this is what I would purchase.

I run a hard top in the Winter, and I try to run without a top as much as possible during the warmer months. If i was going to go with a soft top year round this is what I would purchase.

This is exactly my situation - the hardtop is on in the winter, off int he summer, but the wide open top is problematic when weather is not helping. Thanks very much!

I found a good deal on a used soft top, but I was REALLY close to buying a trek-top style. Its the best of both worlds, IMHO. Safari top or full soft top.

I've never actually tried one, but from a looks standpoint alone, I dislike them very much (I think they look weird).

Reactions: xenocryst
I have a Bestop supertop NX right now, but I'll be buying a new soft top very very soon.

For frameless, I'd go with the Bestop Trektop NX.

My problem is, one of many, is that I can't make up my mind to go with the Trektop or another supertop.

Either one will be the nicer Twill fabric.

I have the Rampage soft top. Just towed the Jeep with it on from Central Oregon to Moab Utah. Took off the windows and stored them in the pouches up top and kept the safari top on for shade. So far I'm very pleased with the Rampage top.

Thanks for the fead back larry that is the one i am looking at

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Haha. I think they look bad ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most people do. But then again, I also think aftetmarket fender flares look ugly.

I'm a bit conservative like that I suppose!

Reactions: FTI76
Bestop. I just broke the back window zipper and they are sending me a new back window no questions asked. Set up is easy as pie. I can take my entire top on and off in about 10 mins. No frame. Before this one I had gotten the Smitybuilt one and leaked like a sieve from everywhere. Returned that and got the Bestop.

Reactions: FTI76
I just installed the softopper frameless on my LJ. Truely frameless unlike the bestop. I can remove the entire top in 3 minutes and roll it up behind my seat. It was on the expensive side, $640 shipped with tinted windows. TJ is cheaper. Looks great and no leaks. However, it uses a supplied smittybilt windshield channel. It is so freaking loud on the highway compared to the stock soft top it replaced. I know it's a Jeep but I'm kind of disappointed in the increased wind noise.

I just installed the softopper frameless on my LJ. Truely frameless unlike the bestop. I can remove the entire top in 3 minutes and roll it up behind my seat. It was on the expensive side, $640 shipped with tinted windows. TJ is cheaper. Looks great and no leaks. However, it uses a supplied smittybilt windshield channel. It is so freaking loud on the highway compared to the stock soft top it replaced. I know it's a Jeep but I'm kind of disappointed in the increased wind noise.

Do you feel any air coming in between windshield and header channel? There should not be. You might have the header installed incorrectly or you need a new seal on your windshield. But what you have described doesn't sound correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got a Bestop TrekTopNX earlier this year. I had only a hard top previously which is part of the reason I got that brand since I did not have door surrounds. for me in Sacramento CA where the sun just beats down in the summer the safari top keeps me from getting burned and my dog in the back from getting too hot. And I do actually use the sunrider feature so I can get sun but my dog stays in shade.

the rampage pocket for holding windows is nice but I learned from another member on forums how to roll up windows on Bestop one well enough so i can store them in back if i decide to take them out when out and about

Had the Rampage on a 2005. If you don't mind the noise it was a good top. Even drove through brushless car washes. No leaks.

I go back and forth on the looks of the slanted back of the frameless tops.

I'm not a fan of them on the JK's and JKU's. And I like that they aren't as slanted on th TJ's.

But I go back and forth.

I am a Rampage fan.

Bestop is probably better quality but it costs more money, and I think it is more complicated than it needs to be.

This is strange, because I watched the install videos of both the Rampage and the Bestop, and the Bestop install was less complicated than the Rampage from what I could see.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/soft-top-suggestions.4868/page-2#post-66668

I've never actually tried one, but from a looks standpoint alone, I dislike them very much (I think they look weird).
Same here. Don't care for the look, but we seem to be in the minority.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Wasn't about looks for me.a frameless was just a bit cheaper and did what I wanted. The "fastback" look doesn't bother me though. (Should be noted you do technically loose some room but I have not had cause to pack so much it would matter)