Opinions on Warn X8000i winches

So what's wrong with the factor 55 link? I'm not educated on the subject apparently, but they have a decent reputation as far as I knew.
Don't ask, many will say it adds connection points. But when you remove the hook that came with a new Warn Winch and install the Factor 55 you still have the same amount of connection points. Now if your goal is to reduce that one point then yes the safety thimble does that.

Now I will sit back and read the posts on how I am wrong 😎

Don't ask, many will say it adds connection points. But when you remove the hook that came with a new Warn Winch and install the Factor 55 you still have the same amount of connection points. Now if your goal is to reduce that one point then yes the safety thimble does that.

Now I will sit back and read the posts on how I am wrong 😎
The goal should always be to reduce connection points, so you are 100% correct in saying the Safety Thimble reduces connection points over a hook and a Factor 55 Link.

Last edited:
So what's wrong with the factor 55 link? I'm not educated on the subject apparently, but they have a decent reputation as far as I knew.

Another thing to think about is how the load is distributed on the 55 Link. All the load, in the case of the Factor 55, is focused on one tiny spot at the end of the rope thimble shown here. That point rests on the Factor 55 cross pin. After multiple hard pulls one day, my thimble bent.

heavy-duty-thimble-lg.jpg

I replaced it with a TRE Safety Thimble, where the rope goes through and around the eyelet. Better load and stress distribution!

Winch-and-rope-pic-e1511309851463.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking I still want this winch even with some of the issues posted with the F55. I can spend $600 and have the synthetic line I want, and just put the safety thimble on later and be in $700-750, or I can buy a new m8000 and by the time I get synthetic line and whatnot it'll be closer to $1000. I currently have a stock height TJ on 31's that is pretty much all trail driven, if I decide this isn't enough winch later on as the build progresses then I can get something else. For a starter winch I'm thinking this is a pretty good deal, if I'm totally off base here feel free to set me straight 😂

I'm thinking I still want this winch even with some of the issues posted with the F55. I can spend $600 and have the synthetic line I want, and just put the safety thimble on later and be in $700-750, or I can buy a new m8000 and by the time I get synthetic line and whatnot it'll be closer to $1000. I currently have a stock height TJ on 31's that is pretty much all trail driven, if I decide this isn't enough winch later on as the build progresses then I can get something else. For a starter winch I'm thinking this is a pretty good deal, if I'm totally off base here feel free to set me straight 😂

If it works as it should, then $600 is a decent deal. OE Warn replacement parts can get up there quick. I just rebuilt an m8000 with upgraded motor and its half that just for parts. If you care to learn more on the winch termination differences, I'd be glad to help. And if you need another option for a complete set-up, feel free to shoot me a message. I can get you in that ballpark for all new stuff.

Ricky

This was completely unrelated and I was not looking for this, but apparently factor 55 now has a knockoff of the safety thimble, the only difference is the rope goes through the loop rather than outside of it. I can see some advantage to that, but I thought I'd share because it's pretty clear where they got the idea from lol.

https://factor55.com/product/new-the-splicer/

This was completely unrelated and I was not looking for this, but apparently factor 55 now has a knockoff of the safety thimble, the only difference is the rope goes through the loop rather than outside of it. I can see some advantage to that, but I thought I'd share because it's pretty clear where they got the idea from lol.

https://factor55.com/product/new-the-splicer/

Yes, they did copy the design. (Safety Thimble has been out since 2004!) I won't go into it here, but when you design products to solve problems that weren't until you made them....you shouldn't be designing products, much less advertising and selling them.

Ricky

See if you can get the specs on that aftermarket motor he put on there.
Little update and last second question before I buy this winch, the guy says the replacement motor is a Romaine Electric MRV B7. Anybody know much about them?

Little update and last second question before I buy this winch, the guy says the replacement motor is a Romaine Electric MRV B7. Anybody know much about them?
It’s a Wapsa motor similar to what came on the winch. Nothing fancy but gets the job done.