Ordering tires online?

I've ordered my last 6 sets of tires from tirecrawler.com, and have been really happy with the prices. Now admittedly, I've only bought Toyo tires, as I've always been impressed with their product. Shipping on Toyo and Cooper tires is free, whereas other brands have shipping charges. It's worth looking into, if you haven't already purchased your tires.

Reactions: Chris
Hey guys! I’m thinking about ordering wheels and tires off of 4wd.com. Has anyone else bought wheels and tires from this website?
Just got this tire and wheel package from 4wd.com today. Shipping and delivery went without a hitch. Came mounted, balanced and new lugnuts included. All 5 for under $1400.
IMG_20171113_162359458.jpg

just ordered 4 31 x 10.5 duratracs and AR23 rims from Discount tire direct....Just cracked $1000 including lug nuts, shipped mounted and balanced. Now i would like to have supported a local tire guy but I was getting quoted $185 - $195 per tire + $18 bucks mounting, sales tax (I know, not their fault). So it was coming in around the +$900 for just tires. Now I can sell my vision rims with used MT tires and probably be ahead of the game.

Reactions: JMT
just ordered 4 31 x 10.5 duratracs and AR23 rims from Discount tire direct....Just cracked $1000 including lug nuts, shipped mounted and balanced. Now i would like to have supported a local tire guy but I was getting quoted $185 - $195 per tire + $18 bucks mounting, sales tax (I know, not their fault). So it was coming in around the +$900 for just tires. Now I can sell my vision rims with used MT tires and probably be ahead of the game.
I also gave the locals a chance, they hit me with every fee and charge imaginable and it came to almost $1800!
I even showed them the 4wd.com web page with the package I was considering before they started pricing it. It would have saved us both time if they just said they couldn't touch it.

I also gave the locals a chance, they hit me with every fee and charge imaginable and it came to almost $1800!
I even showed them the 4wd.com web page with the package I was considering before they started pricing it. It would have saved us both time if they just said they couldn't touch it.

I applaud your efforts to buy local first, but let's face it...most of the local boys just can't seem to touch the online places. It's sad, because I really go out of my way to buy local. But when it starts getting up into the hundreds of dollars, well...self preservation kicks in. I had one shop tell me they wanted $100 to balance four tires, because they had to use steel wheel weights instead of lead (EPA regulations, he said). Ummm...no. Ain't happening!

Right now you can get BF K02’s on 4wd.com with free shipping, no tax, and a 50$ rebate. Cheapest price I’ve seen. About 80$ cheaper than Wally World right now

Reactions: UpperMI
It’s pretty tough(for me) to not buy local. A Discount Tire just opened up in our smallish town. Their tire prices pretty much kill the long time family owned tire store prices. I really want to buy from the family owned store. But at minimum, the prices are $20 per tire higher.

The issue I’ve had in the past with buying online is that the shop I use to get them mounted and balanced seems to have an attitude towards me. Since I didn’t buy the tires from them. Have any of you run into that attitude?

It’s pretty tough(for me) to not buy local. A Discount Tire just opened up in our smallish town. Their tire prices pretty much kill the long time family owned tire store prices. I really want to buy from the family owned store. But at minimum, the prices are $20 per tire higher.

The issue I’ve had in the past with buying online is that the shop I use to get them mounted and balanced seems to have an attitude towards me. Since I didn’t buy the tires from them. Have any of you run into that attitude?

The short answer for me is, "Yes". But I can live with that. Again, buying locally is an honorable thing, when you can afford it. But that isn't always the case. A $20 difference per tire is not all that bad, for me. If I really thought highly of the local boys, I'd bite the bullet and get my rubber through them at that price difference. But I've seen the identical tires at almost double the price of where I buy them online. Sheee-it!!! How is that even possible? My loyalty ends when the numbers start climbing like that...

One experience I had after ordering some BF Goodrich Commercial T/As for my Dodge diesel really bugged me. It seems there was a recall on my front tires. The serial numbers were within the range of production affected. I had two shops confirm this, however, neither of them would assist me with dealing with the manufacturer's recall because I didn't buy through them. Neither would the online store where I bought them from. Basically, after a few months of driving on the tires, I said "f-it", and just decided I'd keep an eye on them. That was 35,000+ miles ago, so I think I'm golden. Never had another bad experience with purchasing online, so I've just written it off as a bad experience that I can live with...

Reactions: JMT and LonestarTJ
Agreed, $20 isn’t really much. And since owners are a friend of a friend, I’ll probably just buy the set of Coopers from them.

If I were to buy the GY Duratracs I originally planned on, I’d have to go to Discount or online. As they were $40 per tire higher.

You bring up another question that popped in my head. Say you buy a set online, then have an issue with a tire. Isn’t it going to be a PIA to get another tire to replace the defective one? Rather than just drive up to your local tire store and get a replacement mounted up.

You bring up another question that popped in my head. Say you buy a set online, then have an issue with a tire. Isn’t it going to be a PIA to get another tire to replace the defective one? Rather than just drive up to your local tire store and get a replacement mounted up.

Haven't experienced that situation yet (though the recall issue does smack of the kinds of hassles you could potentially be facing). I know that @Chris is a huge fan of buying through Amazon, and he and others have spoken highly of their return policy, but I just don't know if dealing with tires would fall into that category of "good experiences". I've bought a half a dozen + sets of tires online, and will continue to do so, most likely. I am a huge fan of tirecrawler.com. If you're buying Toyo or Cooper tires, you owe it to yourself to take a look. Free shipping on those two brands, and I've yet to see lower prices. Just take a gander at their site. You might be surprised.

Reactions: LonestarTJ
My Jeep wra

My Jeep Wrangler 99 Sahara got 5 BFG K02 Baja chanmpions for 850 mounted and balanced at their store.. they did an amazing job and I got this deal during the holidays!

Nice looking ride you got there!. I don't think I've ever seen that color before. It's coming across my monitor as something of a dusty rose, which I will admit would surprise me if'n it's a factory color. Regardless, I like it!

Haven't experienced that situation yet (though the recall issue does smack of the kinds of hassles you could potentially be facing). I know that @Chris is a huge fan of buying through Amazon, and he and others have spoken highly of their return policy, but I just don't know if dealing with tires would fall into that category of "good experiences". I've bought a half a dozen + sets of tires online, and will continue to do so, most likely. I am a huge fan of tirecrawler.com. If you're buying Toyo or Cooper tires, you owe it to yourself to take a look. Free shipping on those two brands, and I've yet to see lower prices. Just take a gander at their site. You might be surprised.
Holy crap!! You sir found a golden site there. 35" KM2s are very cheap compared to Wally World and of course my local 4x4 shop. KO2s are free shipping. The coopers are very good tires too with free shipping. My father is now going to buy his KO2s for his Cherokee trail hawk off that site. I'm contemplating making the jump to 35s again after seeing those prices. Gonna call dpg off-road sometime next week to see what I would need. Damn that is awesome haha thank you sir!!

Holy crap!! You sir found a golden site there. 35" KM2s are very cheap compared to Wally World and of course my local 4x4 shop. KO2s are free shipping. The coopers are very good tires too with free shipping. My father is now going to buy his KO2s for his Cherokee trail hawk off that site. I'm contemplating making the jump to 35s again after seeing those prices. Gonna call dpg off-road sometime next week to see what I would need. Damn that is awesome haha thank you sir!!

"I love it when a plan comes together..." ;) You're most welcome, my friend. I am in no way affiliated with them, other than being a very satisfied customer. I try to convince folks to at least check out their prices, as I believe they just cannot be beat. Most never do, however, and then I find they paid more for their tires elsewhere. Research is free. Not researching can get expensive! Glad I could help. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs