Oregon Department of Transportation will begin limited use of salt on state highways

At least you got an easy stocking stuffer: Fluid Film.

I feel for you though. Salt sucks major balls here. The damn salt crew can be seen parked on the side of the roads hours before any storm. They sit in their salt trucks texting or whatever to kill time and when a snowflake is seen...BAM...they peel out like a vette and start spraying that shit everywhere.

What's funny is I live on a road where Penn Dot is stationed. Their trucks come out and use our road to hit the turnpike. They don't spray our road at all so it stays white for a long time. It snowed last week and the road is still covered. A little drifting fun can be had.....

Just wait a couple of years then see what the roads look like, the salt damage in the NE is incredible. I'm just happy knowing the odds that it will snow here are very long.

What does it do to the roads? Just starts to degrade them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does it do to the roads? Just starts to degrade them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The salt leaches into concrete structures and slowly eats them away and we all know what it does to steel. One of the issues more common to the NE is the number of freeze thaw cycles experienced over the winter season (unlike places that get cold and stay cold) and that allows the salt to really get in and do a number on everything. Not to mention what it does to the environment.

Last edited:
This crap is one of the major reasons we moved to Oregon. I hate salt, in any form, with a passion.:mad:

Reactions: Chris
This crap is one of the major reasons we moved to Oregon. I hate salt, in any form, with a passion.:mad:

That's one of the reasons we continue to live here, no salt on the roads.

ODOT is just being plain stupid.

Reactions: Stinger
That totally sucks! I moved to PA from MD. In MD, the salted the hell out of the roads because none of the morons can drive worth a damned...even on dry roads. Fortunately, where I am now in PA they use mostly cinder on the roads. But salt takes one hell of a toll on the vehicles, even with passivated metals. Even the "waterproof" connectors corrode like crazy. Then after they salt the roads, they whine and cry about the salinity in the Chesapeake Bay! Maryland is a good state to be FROM...far from! :)

Reactions: Chris
I'm hoping they only do it in Portland, but somehow I have a feeling they'll roll it out statewide. Either way, I'm just insanely angry about this.

Reactions: Stinger
Here's a perfect example of Michigan, or at least Detroit Metro. Yesterday we finished up a 36 hour stretch of rain. This is my black seal-coated asphalt driveway with tracks of salt from my wife's jeep after she just pulled in from our neighborhood road earlier today. How Lake St. Clair & Lake Erie aren't just brine and supporting oceanic sea life boggles my mind.

IMG_0286.jpg

Here's a perfect example of Michigan, or at least Detroit Metro. Yesterday we finished up a 36 hour stretch of rain. This is my black seal-coated asphalt driveway with tracks of salt from my wife's jeep after she just pulled in from our neighborhood road earlier today. How Lake St. Clair & Lake Erie aren't just brine and supporting oceanic sea life boggles my mind.

View attachment 9321

Oregon started using it the past few days. What's so funny is that the majority of people in Portland are actually 100% supporting it. They're idiots, they don't know the side effects it has on cars and the environment.

Glad I don't live in Portland anymore.

View attachment 9321

Nice Duratracs!

Reactions: StG58
LOL!!! I have to say, based on her experience for the past few years I'll back you up that the Duratracs in the snow have been unstoppable.

I'm really impressed with how they perform in the snow, honestly. I've done tons and tons of packed snow with them and haven't faulted them yet.

Reactions: StG58