Other hobbies / pastimes

I almost got killed three different times on a street bike, so I decided that was enough.
My street bikes are mainly garage queens, seldom get ridden, take my chances off road instead

50ubrZDSQ2Ke+pfm1OfPdg.jpg
gPX4eETjRPm6QUA1qnplmQ.jpg
43zfEhFwT+SSW7%DKm+A0w.jpg
IMG_0639.CR2.jpg
O6z0rNslTgaZGZ%7sym4lg.jpg

I had a Suzuki 4x4 that was a lot of fun then more and more trails were getting closed. I hated the hassle of trailering it. I almost got a on/off motorcycle, then life got in the way.

I design and build electronics for myself and friends.
here are some of my recent projects.

This is a solar battery tender i made for my generator i use for portable welding.
unknown.png
IMG_20200821_204438.jpg

This is my numitron desk clock.
i never really finished the programming on this version since i redesigned it to use an STM32F4 mcu with a ublox wifi module for internet time correction but i never built the second version.
its been running for two years now and only has dropped 3 seconds since it uses a DS3232 RTC.

it also has a really neat buck boost battery tender from analog devices(LTC4040) that manages a single cell lithium iron phosphate battery for over a days runtime on battery.
unknown.png

IMG_20200224_224346.jpg

and here is a project i havent finished yet, this was the first prototype made before the lockdown made a second revision too expensive for now.
its a multi effect guitar pedal crossbar. you can reorder, add, remove and loop guitar pedals with it.
a lot of the programming is done for it but the second revision fixes some opamp instability and digipot layout issues.
i hope to have it completed sometime next year.
unknown.png
IMG_20200503_155028.jpg
Screenshot 2020-12-14 141517.png

Besides the normal teenager stuff (playing video games) and the Jeep, I would say that electronics is my biggest hobby, things like the Arduino and Raspberry Pi I use quite a lot. I am somewhat interested in firearms but obviously can't own any yet. I like to go camping a lot and do all the things related to that like kayaking or hiking.

I design and build electronics for myself and friends.
here are some of my recent projects.

This is a solar battery tender i made for my generator i use for portable welding.
View attachment 210432View attachment 210433

This is my numitron desk clock.
i never really finished the programming on this version since i redesigned it to use an STM32F4 mcu with a ublox wifi module for internet time correction but i never built the second version.
its been running for two years now and only has dropped 3 seconds since it uses a DS3232 RTC.

it also has a really neat buck boost battery tender from analog devices(LTC4040) that manages a single cell lithium iron phosphate battery for over a days runtime on battery.
View attachment 210434
View attachment 210435

and here is a project i havent finished yet, this was the first prototype made before the lockdown made a second revision too expensive for now.
its a multi effect guitar pedal crossbar. you can reorder, add, remove and loop guitar pedals with it.
a lot of the programming is done for it but the second revision fixes some opamp instability and digipot layout issues.
i hope to have it completed sometime next year.View attachment 210436View attachment 210437View attachment 210426
What layout software are you using? And who does your SMT soldering? I can't solder anything finer that 100 mil parts with my bad eyesight! Curious about your design rules too - I used to do layouts for a living. Back then 8/8 was cutting edge. I have a friend who is retired from working at a PCB house, she told me that when she retired several years back, 4/4 was routine.

Nice looking board - I hope you back annotate!

What layout software are you using? And who does your SMT soldering? I can't solder anything finer that 100 mil parts with my bad eyesight! Curious about your design rules too - I used to do layouts for a living. Back then 8/8 was cutting edge. I have a friend who is retired from working at a PCB house, she told me that when she retired several years back, 4/4 was routine.

Nice looking board - I hope you back annotate!
i use KiCAD.
the boardhouse i use does 3.5/3.5 but i have my DRC set to 4/4

and i actually do all my own assembly with a $20 scratch and dent toaster oven i got at target.
i get stainless solder stencils and screen the paste on and hand place all the components.
IMG_20200821_204621.jpg

ive got it down to 0.4mm pin pitch reliably although i avoid BGA/LGA parts as much as i can.
if something goes wrong ive got hot air and a hakko 951 to fix it.

KiCAD's back annotation feature is jank and i found causes more issues than just going back to the schematic level, making changes and bringing them forward into an existing layout.:confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2001slvrstntj