Ouch David Crosby / R.I.P. Eddie Van Halen

I like everything from Michael Bubble to Nirvana, hate rap and love country, I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to music.
That being said, Van Halen ushered in a new genre of music much like the Beetles and Nirvana.
EVH was a guitar virtuoso and would shred Hendrix if given the chance, maybe he is now?
Van Halen was a major part of my youth growing up.

I like everything from Michael Bubble to Nirvana, hate rap and love country, I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to music.
That being said, Van Halen ushered in a new genre of music much like the Beetles and Nirvana.
EVH was a guitar virtuoso and would shred Hendrix if given the chance, maybe he is now?
Van Halen was a major part of my youth growing up.
That's me... I'm pretty eclectic.. if it's good it's good.

I like a lot of stuff from the early 70s.. . It seems like there was a wealth of great music made from the late '60s to the mid to late '70s.

I probably listen to as much country as anything... I'm a little bit surprised at some of the music that's being called country right now.

I wonder how many rock giants grew up with a Crosby poster on there wall, saying to them self “man that guy can rock I want to be like him” lol

I truly believe that Crosby was never on EVH’s radar either.

I wonder how many rock giants grew up with a Crosby poster on there wall, saying to them self “man that guy can rock I want to be like him” lol

I truly believe that Crosby was never on EVH’s radar either.
Any band that could title a tour "Monsters of Rock" and had a lead singer that had the seat cut out of both sides of his britches had to have something right going for them.

Reactions: J R
I miss good ol' Motown, back when blacks made great music and not this garbage they churn out now. Of course the 70's turned out a lot of great black musicians/bands too. Earth, Wind and Fire, Bob Marley, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba and jjvw
I miss good ol' Motown, back when blacks made great music and not this garbage they churn out now. Of course the 70's turned out a lot of great black musicians/bands too. Earth, Wind and Fire, Bob Marley, etc.
Absolutely.

Crosby is angry that he'll be forgotten by time. His legacy won't be based on his abilities as a musician, songwriter, or singer. He'll be a figurehead of the late '60s, but even that nostalgia is fading quickly. He's in the R&R HOF twice as a band member- not as a solo artist. His relevance ended sometime in the mid-70s. Gen-X'ers (like me) and younger generations don't wax poetic about him or his music. I take that back, he did write Eight Miles High which become one of my favorite cover tunes by Husker Du.

You know if you step back and look at the music landscape...look at the number of artists that endure versus all the ones that come and go.... Man there were so many talented hair bands in the '80s.... And Nirvana changed the sound and hair bands became almost extinct overnight.

I'm not picking on any genre or act.... But for the guys that keep at it and find a way to reaching audience over three or four decades.... That kind of staying power is impressive.

Crosby is angry that he'll be forgotten by time. His legacy won't be based on his abilities as a musician, songwriter, or singer. He'll be a figurehead of the late '60s, but even that nostalgia is fading quickly. He's in the R&R HOF twice as a band member- not as a solo artist. His relevance ended sometime in the mid-70s. Gen-X'ers (like me) and younger generations don't wax poetic about him or his music. I take that back, he did write Eight Miles High which become one of my favorite cover tunes by Husker Du.

He might just be a cranky old man who had a significant moment in time half a century ago and stayed there. I don't think he is well known for his continued insight into the music world. He got caught by the internet expressing his thoughts about an artist from a very different time and a very different genre at the wrong time. Had this happened a month ago, no one would have cared. However, a month ago no one would have bothered asking Crosby what he thought about a guitar player in a 70-80's hard rock band.

Reactions: J R
I guess it's like asking me what I think of a Gladiator...I have never driven one, sat in one, or even know anyone that has. My Jeep ownership doesn't relate to owning that Jeep.

Reactions: jjvw