Outdoor battery tender?

The biggest issue of charging AGM versus standard flooded cell batteries is heat. AGM batteries do not dissipate heat nearly as well as flooded cell batteries. Charge rate specifications for most AGM are considerably lower because of this. Deep cycle style batteries are even more sensitive to high charge rates.

Reactions: alittleoff
I had a vehicle that saw use every month or two. I hooked up a solar Battery Tender brand charger and put the unit on the dash. I didn't record any data but I never had a battery issue. It wasn't in an area convenient to run a cord to.

Anyway, an option.
I have a few similar setups for the snowmobiles in the summer, SxS in the winter, and I use one on a vehicle that gets left on the opposite side of a mountain I have to go over on snowmobile in the course of delivering the mail. It gets used 3 days a week and is subjected to below freezing and some times sub zero for days at a time. One small Harbor Freight solar tender keeps the 2 Red Top Optima batteries peaked. Before we started using that charger any time we had a 3 day weekend of cold weather it was sketchy at best of the batteries would have enough charge to crank the cold blooded 360 in the Grand Wagoneer until it fired.. (I so need to put a good fuel injection on the poor old girl!!!!)

I had a vehicle that saw use every month or two. I hooked up a solar Battery Tender brand charger and put the unit on the dash. I didn't record any data but I never had a battery issue. It wasn't in an area convenient to run a cord to.

Anyway, an option.
This is something that just connects into the cigarette lighter port? You don’t also have to go through the firewall to attach it directly to the battery?

If so that is pretty interesting because I’m not too keen on having to park the Jeep up against my house with an extension cord run to it...

What model do you have? (if indeed all you have to go is plug it into the cigarette lighter port...)

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Living in Interior Alaska I keep a BAttery tender on all of my vehicles. It keeps the batteries from freezing.

the cords hang out of the grill on my wife’s JK, my F350, my daughters focus, on my TJ I have it coming out by the battery. It’s only an issue when you forget to unplug and damage the cords.

Schumacher battery maintainer has been going strong for five years at temps below -40.

Check this out: Schumacher SC1300 1.5A 6/12V Fully Automatic Battery Maintainer ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07894CFCR/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: reddvltj
Also take note to get a battery tender/maintainer.

fried my RV battery because I accidentally used my battery charger. 12v 2a like someone mentioned above. It boiled off water and wouldn’t hold a charge after that. Those are good for charging not maintaining.

Reactions: alittleoff
Also take note to get a battery tender/maintainer.

fried my RV battery because I accidentally used my battery charger. 12v 2a like someone mentioned above. It boiled off water and wouldn’t hold a charge after that. Those are good for charging not maintaining.
Exactly, a good float charger with a desulfate setting built in would be the best.

This is something that just connects into the cigarette lighter port? You don’t also have to go through the firewall to attach it directly to the battery?

If so that is pretty interesting because I’m not too keen on having to park the Jeep up against my house with an extension cord run to it...

What model do you have? (if indeed all you have to go is plug it into the cigarette lighter port...)

I'm interested in this too, for the old Dodge.

I ran a wire through the firewall in an existing grommet. I tuck it behind the dash when not in use.

I did the 5W one but others are available as listed. Link below hopefully.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q83TGO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: MountaineerTom