Overdrive off and on (42RLE)

Don Bulee

TJ Enthusiast
First... sorry for the pic quality, it was taken while driving.... once that said.... since I got my 06 Rubicon (like 4 years) I've been experience that the O/D may activate or deactivate by itself, so like if I'm on a highway sometimes I don't press the O/D switch and it will still turn the light on by itself... and some miles after that it may shut down by itself again... when I DO press it most of the times the switch works as intended but when on a highway (even sometimes in the town) even if I press the switch the O/D will not deactivate (or activate, depending on what I need at that moment) as it should while I'm pressing the button... is this normal? I have the 4.10 but wanting to re-gear to 5.38s by the end of the year, but I'm worried that if do regear the O/D will turn off by itself while cruising and will elevate my RPMs from 2600 (on 4th gear at 70 mph) to god-knows how many at 3th gear and may damage something... what are your thoughts?
20230720_143354.jpg

It sounds like you have an electrical problem behind the switch. Have you pulled the console trim to check it out? You may have a short in the harness back there. The factory service manuals are available on the forum and you can find the wiring diagram for that circuit to help you understand how it works and help find the problem.

It sounds like you have an electrical problem behind the switch. Have you pulled the console trim to check it out? You may have a short in the harness back there. The factory service manuals are available on the forum and you can find the wiring diagram for that circuit to help you understand how it works and help find the problem.

I did, I saw no issues in the rear part of the switch when I change the bulbs for LEDs... would this failure mode may be caused from an electrical issue in different area beside the switch panel?

20230205_160900.jpg

20230205_160543.jpg

First... sorry for the pic quality, it was taken while driving.... once that said.... since I got my 06 Rubicon (like 4 years) I've been experience that the O/D may activate or deactivate by itself, so like if I'm on a highway sometimes I don't press the O/D switch and it will still turn the light on by itself... and some miles after that it may shut down by itself again... when I DO press it most of the times the switch works as intended but when on a highway (even sometimes in the town) even if I press the switch the O/D will not deactivate (or activate, depending on what I need at that moment) as it should while I'm pressing the button... is this normal? I have the 4.10 but wanting to re-gear to 5.38s by the end of the year,

Can you borrow or purchase an OD switch for cheap on eBay? That would be a quick way to know if the switch is failing if you don’t find any obvious wiring issues.

Edit: Could this also be a PCM issue? I assume it could be but I don’t know how probable it is. Might be worth checking the plugs/pins on your switch and PCM to ensure they aren’t corroded or bent/pushed.

This is the relevant page from the FSM at https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/.
FSM-2006-8W-31-9.JPG

The switch grounds a wire from the PCM which tells it you want to switch O/D on or off. I hadn't thought of the suggestion that the switch is bad. I think you could test that easily by unplugging the switch and leaving it disconnected for a while to see if the problem goes away.

If not, the problem could be anywhere in the wiring between the switch and the PCM, and possibly a problem with the PCM itself, as also suggested earlier here.

This is the relevant page from the FSM at https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/.
View attachment 444125

The switch grounds a wire from the PCM which tells it you want to switch O/D on or off. I hadn't thought of the suggestion that the switch is bad. I think you could test that easily by unplugging the switch and leaving it disconnected for a while to see if the problem goes away.

If not, the problem could be anywhere in the wiring between the switch and the PCM, and possibly a problem with the PCM itself, as also suggested earlier here.

Great idea about just unplugging the switch.

Btw, I failed to mention that inspecting plugs is also to ensure the plug insulation isn’t damaged (but I’d hold off looking into that until u know if unplugging the switch solves the issue).

Hopefully this will be a cheap and easy fix.

Reactions: Don Bulee