Overkill mods thread?

Not_Invented_Here_

TJ Addict
I've been looking at the Poison Spyder BFHII low profile bumper. It is basically exactly what I'm looking for in a rear bumper (light, slim and low profile, d rings with no hitch or other attachments) - bonus that it's a direct bolt-on and doesn't require additional drilling unless you opt for the frame tie-in braces. On sale for $285 and I saw an offer for $275 on ebay.

Unfortunately, I don't hit the rocks - like, at all. I camp and get outdoors with my rig when I'm not DD'ing it. Got me thinking that I'm getting dangerously close lately to investing mods/upgrades that are a bit overkill for my purposes.

What overkill mods are you running? Judgement free zone here because I may end up still rocking it like a poser eventually on my otherwise mostly stock rig :)

A good bumper is never overkill.

Word, everything else that's cheap is ugly as sin and way too heavy. Everything that's the right weight/style is expensive and marketed as being for stuff I don't regularly do or do at all ha. I could see appreciating it down the road though when I do start building it up more.

You got anything overkill on yours ;)

I love the BGH2 bumper, its one of the best looking low profile bumpers. Just make sure you dont forsee any towing in your future.

Gen-right and Swag off road have really nice low profile bumpers as well that you may like.

Reactions: bedhed
I love the BGH2 bumper, its one of the best looking low profile bumpers. Just make sure you dont forsee any towing in your future.

Gen-right and Swag off road have really nice low profile bumpers as well that you may like.

I do like them but I'm trying to keep it under $300, I already have no business spending this much on a bumper but I'm reasoning that if I just cut down my front stock one rather than replace it, I get best of both worlds.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Before I posted here, this question popped up in one of the Jeep FB groups I'm in and by far the most common answer was "I don't need to run such big tires" ha
It’s the honest truth. I’m pretty well setup to run the 35”s besides a few minor things - but do I neeeeed them? Not really. But they look cool and work great. Here’s my list.
1. 2000W Dual 12” Subwoofers in a custom box behind the rear seat (before I took it out)
2. Currie Front track bar (big bolt was the wrong choice, should have done OEM axle size bolt)
3. Hanson Rear Bumper (don’t really need 1/2” steel on the back corners it just weighs too much)
4. Tig welded my own short muffler then threw it away for the OEM once I found out how loud it was
5. 7” OEM style flares (should never have thrown my Rubi flares away just to keep the Mud off the side of the Jeep)

It’s the honest truth. I’m pretty well setup to run the 35”s besides a few minor things - but do I neeeeed them? Not really. But they look cool and work great. Here’s my list.
1. 2000W Dual 12” Subwoofers in a custom box behind the rear seat (before I took it out)
2. Currie Front track bar (big bolt was the wrong choice, should have done OEM axle size bolt)
3. Hanson Rear Bumper (don’t really need 1/2” steel on the back corners it just weighs too much)
4. Tig welded my own short muffler then threw it away for the OEM once I found out how loud it was
5. 7” OEM style flares (should never have thrown my Rubi flares away just to keep the Mud off the side of the Jeep)

Bro #5 :( People pay big $$ around here for those ha

A good bumper is never overkill.
x2 on that. With crazy drivers all around, a good bumper serves well on the streets too.

I get where you're coming from though. Here in Florida, it's flatlands. Aside from the worry of a road collision, a stout bumper for me would only be useful for the extremely rare knock against a tree when I'm on a tight trail.

I do not like the stock rear bumper on mine. I'd like to get one from Savvy or Gen-right. In all honesty, I mainly just dislike the look, but my second reason is for a higher hitch setup. As it sits, my receiver hitch drags the ground when I'm coming down from a steep decline (or visa versa).

It could be argued that my 265/75s are overkill, but I feel like my only overkill is the 3/4" clevis mounts that I welded into my chopped stock bumper, and the D-rings. I've used them once in 5+ years, and that was when my CPS took a crap in a drive through. I didn't know what was wrong, so I had a friend pull me home.😆

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
Can’t think of anything I don’t use regularly.

I don’t drive mine in the winter so maybe the heated seats are overkill.

also pull the full doors in the summer so the keyless entry is kind of overkill, good on the tailgate though.

Can’t think of anything I don’t use regularly.

I don’t drive mine in the winter so maybe the heated seats are overkill.

also pull the full doors in the summer so the keyless entry is kind of overkill, good on the tailgate though.
Heated seats seem like they would be great for the mornings in the spring/summer/fall with the top down

They get used a lot, but probably overkill because manly men are supposed to drive Jeeps

I had never had heated seats in a vehicle until my wife got a Camaro in 2014 that had them. I found myself using them on high with the A/C blasting on high as well in the middle of summer. LOL. It felt so good on my back that I installed a kit into my LJ seats about 1-1/2 years ago.