Oxygen sensor code

Morks

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Jeep is an 04 with the 4.0. I replaced my 02 sensors about 2 years ago. Since about a year ago I had a P0432 intermittely pop up, I recently just installed new pre cats. I drove around a couple days, and then took a road trip and it seemed to have solve the code. Bank 2 cat had nothing left when removed. Fired up the jeep yesterday and received a P0135. Going to remove the negative terminal to clear the code. Then drive around for a bit and see if it comes back. All 4 sensors were NGK, but have a good 50-60k km on them now. Worth replacing just the 1 if the code keeps coming back?

I absolutely hate heater circuits. The 02 only has a heater because of.... emissions.

If you want the code to go away, you'll have to change it, or trick the PCM with a resistor. Probably time to change them anyways. Upstream o2's are very important.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Sounds good, that's what I was assuming. Should I do all 4 again or just the uppers?
edit: around 60k km, not miles...

Last edited:
Hold on. Get a code scanner and monitor the voltages on your O2s. They should consistently range below .9v. If they're running higher voltages then replace away.

My guess is when your two upstream pre cats failed the downstream plugged or was already plugged.

-Mac

Reactions: Morks
Hold on. Get a code scanner and monitor the voltages on your O2s. They should consistently range below .9v. If they're running higher voltages then replace away.

My guess is when your two upstream pre cats failed the downstream plugged or was already plugged.

-Mac

I'm a real stickler for isolating faults. But the guy has one heater circuit code and close to 40,000 miles on his current 02's. Replace them. It's $100 for all four OE from Rock Auto for a part that plays a huge role in running smooth.

Funny you didn't mention actually verifying heater circuit integrity for the offending 02. You didn't mention watching bias voltages drop on start up. You didn't mention forcing rich/lean conditions while monitoring activity. You didn't mention looking at switching frequency. There's more to 02's than a cheap scan tool and watching for under .9v. If you're strapped on cash, chase the code and replace the single 02. But at the end of the day... These should be considered maintenance items and changed right around this time anyways.

I'll just replace the 4 then... Was thinking with a bit lower mileage I wouldn't be concerned. Thanks!