P0153 code after lift install

azroc909

TJ Enthusiast
Ok so i have a 2006 4.0 v6 tj SE

I purchased it a few months back, no check engine light was on it. Haven't been driving it a lot just a few miles here and there to stores and back. I purchased a 2.5 inch lift which i had a chance to have it installed today, it has 32inch tires. As i was driving home after Having the lift installed the engine light came on for the very first time in my possession. i pulled over to check the code and it said P0153
I googled and it came up as
"OBD-II Trouble Code: P0153 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank2, Sensor1"
My questions

What sensor is it? Any pictures to give me a better idea. Kinda confusing for me (bank 2 sensor 1)
And how to determine part number.

Will it hurt the engine/jeep/ other parts if i keep driving it like that without fixing it now? Or should i just have it sit until i fix it?

Was lifting the jeep the cause?
Putting strain on the engine because of tire and lift size.

Read that it can either be sensors, faulty catylic converters or even cheap gas.
I did notice the oil level a little above middle no shaking or rattling or weird noises or smells.
Please any advise
Much appreciate it.

P.s on the side note my jeep didn't have any spring clip retainers at the bottom bracket. Does it need them? Or is it fine without them.

Sorry for the long essay lol.

20190102_142117.jpg

so that will be your bank 2 upstream hego (oxygen sensor). They have about a 100k mile life span. the 4.0 exhaust is split cyl 1-3 is bank 1 and cyl 4-6 are bank 2. so it will be the sensor highest up on the exhaust closest to the firewall. might as well replace both up stream hegos. and yes driving is this way will not do anything good for your tj.

Also check out the "official O2 sensor thread" in the frequently asked questions section.
There are part numbers and schematics there.

And welcome to the forum! (Hold onto your wallet)

so that will be your bank 2 upstream hego (oxygen sensor). They have about a 100k mile life span. the 4.0 exhaust is split cyl 1-3 is bank 1 and cyl 4-6 are bank 2. so it will be the sensor highest up on the exhaust closest to the firewall. might as well replace both up stream hegos. and yes driving is this way will not do anything good for your tj.

Ok so closest to the engine right? I assume itvhas four total two closet to engine two closest to cats? Is that right?

Your P0153 is unrelated to the lift.
How many miles?
Your O.P. says v6. Do you have the Pentastar engine?
Ok thanks was worried i just assumed becuase it happened right after lift, has 132k
I don't know if i have the pentastar engine.

Also check out the "official O2 sensor thread" in the frequently asked questions section.
There are part numbers and schematics there.

And welcome to the forum! (Hold onto your wallet)
Ok will do thanks, trust me i can feel it already burn a hole in my wallet lol

Ok thanks was worried i just assumed becuase it happened right after lift, has 132k
I don't know if i have the pentastar engine.
As ^^ above, i would replace both upstream 02 sensors.
I have the in line 4.0L.
I replaced all 4 of the 02 sensors at 105k a long with both precats.
With 132k I would set aside $300 for precats, they all seem to go south about the same time.

As ^^ above, i would replace both upstream 02 sensors.
I have the in line 4.0L.
I replaced all 4 of the 02 sensors at 105k a long with both precats.
With 132k I would set aside $300 for precats, they all seem to go south about the same time.

Ok sounds like a good idea to do all four and precats. Oh goodie I'm in debt for life lol. Can it be driven with the code on? Until i have funds to do this?

Ok so closest to the engine right? I assume itvhas four total two closet to engine two closest to cats? Is that right?
kind of, there are two pre cat and two after cat. The downstream hegos are usually called Cat Monitors because they view the efficiency of the cat itself (much easier seen on a scan tool with live data). However, it would be prudent of you to replace both up streams which yes are closer to the engine depending on how you look at it.

Reactions: azroc909
kind of, there are two pre cat and two after cat. The downstream hegos are usually called Cat Monitors because they view the efficiency of the cat itself (much easier seen on a scan tool with live data). However, it would be prudent of you to replace both up streams which yes are closer to the engine depending on how you look at it.
Ok got it thanks! Will replace all four while I'm at it

Reactions: SaharaTJ01