P0700 with a P0720 code erratic shifting

R3ID05TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2005 TJ 42RLE started erratically shifting the other day then wouldn't shift out of 2nd. On Friday I limped it 25miles at 40mph at 3000rpm to the shop and dropped it off as I don't have time to look at it this weekend. This is my daily driver mind you so now I'm forced to ride my motorcycle back and forth to work every day ;).

P0720 is Output Speed Sensor Circuit. $8 - $35 sensor, one bolt replace job. Or could be low on transmission fluid. Hopefully its something simple. I have a feeling the shop will say otherwise. Won't hear from the shop until probably Tuesday.

Anybody deal with this before?

So mad right now. $375 later. The shop said they fixed the output speed sensor circuit. $60 part. 2.5hrs labor. Also they fixed a transmission control module plug they said because the terminals had pulled apart and needed attention. Drove the jeep home yesterday and it was fine again. Driving it today and its acting up and doing the same exact thing again. Shifting weird. Then hard downshift to 2nd and wouldn't get out of 2nd. Threw a P0700 engine code again. Right at 5 when the shop closes. Story of my life.

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
Wranglerfix.jpg

2005 TJ 42RLE started erratically shifting the other day then wouldn't shift out of 2nd.

Try disconnecting the power for a few minutes.
This will reset the PCM.
If the problem goes away (temporarily) then the PCM may indeed be the issue.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Did. Problem came back 2 blocks down the road.

in the early stages of failure, you can get away with unplugging and resetting the pcm. It will get to the point where that won’t work anymore and it sounds like you’re there.

Thought about it.

Anybody want to buy a nice TJ?
Replacing the PCM with one from Wranglerfix that permanently fixes the problem is an easy 5-10 minute job. No special tools or technical expertise needed. Unplug the old PCM, plug the new one in.

Mark, I sent you another message with more symptoms and notes the shop told me after further looking at my Jeep (at no cost) since the first $375 managed to fix whatever they fixed but still wasn't the issue. But I digress.

2005 TJ 42RLE started erratically shifting the other day then wouldn't shift out of 2nd. On Friday I limped it 25miles at 40mph at 3000rpm to the shop and dropped it off as I don't have time to look at it this weekend. This is my daily driver mind you so now I'm forced to ride my motorcycle back and forth to work every day ;).

P0720 is Output Speed Sensor Circuit. $8 - $35 sensor, one bolt replace job. Or could be low on transmission fluid. Hopefully its something simple. I have a feeling the shop will say otherwise. Won't hear from the shop until probably Tuesday.

If it’s not the PCM, then look at the solenoid pack and maybe even valve body.

I had this happen and I knew it wasn’t Mark’s PCM.

Had an OEM solenoid pack from eBay installed and my tranny guy changed something to the valve body that he’d never seen before (it was a reman tranny).

It’s been solid driving in and out of state since he fixed it in October. I’d 100% start with the WF PCM and go from there.

When you aren’t playing with your other toys, you can always ride with me if you sell your rig. Most of my parts are installed so you won’t gave to worry about turning wrenches too often lol.

If it’s not the PCM, then look at the solenoid pack and maybe even valve body.

I had this happen and I knew it wasn’t Mark’s PCM.

Had an OEM solenoid pack from eBay installed and my tranny guy changed something to the valve body that he’d never seen before (it was a reman tranny).

It’s been solid driving in and out of state since he fixed it in October. I’d 100% start with the WF PCM and go from there.

When you aren’t playing with your other toys, you can always ride with me if you sell your rig. Most of my parts are installed so you won’t gave to worry about turning wrenches too often lol.

Come back home and I'll take you up on that.

Mine drives like ass.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeE024
Come back home and I'll take you up on that.

Mine drives like ass.

Man I’d love to bring the rig back home for the summer months. Would like to ferry the rig to the islands.

@SkylinesSuck would roast me for fun at the Norwalk raceway. But I’d likely get him at a windy track just gotta find one. 😆

We gotta get your rig fixed up or find u a better rig.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Man I’d love to bring the rig home for the summer months. Would like to ferry the rig to the islands.

@SkylinesSuck would roast me for fun at the Norwalk raceway. But I’d likely get him at a windy track just gotta find one. 😆

We gotta get your rig fixed up or find u a better rig.

If you ferry it over, bring a spare TPS...

The salt killed most TJ's over here. Want one that doesn't need welded on? Kiss 10 bands goodbye... The original owner had it until 2016, and the frame is in great shape. Really all it needs is a steering stabilizer, adjustable track bar, and some gears. Some dealer put a RC lift on it and called it a day.

I moved here from Yokota Air Base in 2014 and have yet to go to the track in Norwalk, or even in Oberlin for that matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkylinesSuck