"Pacing myself" build

Yeah, @Alex01 has a spare NP231 he just took out in lieu of an Atlas, which we are currently discussing. It's a lot of work to do that only to find it's not it. After I get this re-gearing fiasco sorted out, I may try playing with lowering the t-case skid and more pinion angle dialing before I venture into all the work of swapping t-cases.
Or swap out the SYE for a SS SYE and a longer rear driveshaft. I know, it's all expensive attempted solutions

Reactions: bobthetj03
its interesting that a thicker skid affected the vibes, how is your trans mount old/new/poly/rubber?

I replaced the trany mount with a Crown stock replacement after replacing the skid. I also replaced the motor mounts with ones I got from @JMT, which had lower miles on them. That is when I installed the MML. Oh, as I mentioned earlier of adding a MML. The reason I did that was because I had previously lowered the t-case skid 1" experiementing, which resulted in the biggest reduction in vibes to date. So, to keep the t-case skid back up on the frame where I wanted it, I installed the MML to mimic the drop in the t-case skid. It worked.
How far a drive are you from Citrus Heights?

Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
Or swap out the SYE for a SS SYE and a longer rear driveshaft. I know, it's all expensive attempted solutions

Had I known then what I know now, I should have just went with the SSSYE to begin with. I just didn't think I would need it only having a 3" lift. I also didn't want to deal with the speedo healer.

Reactions: Alex01
I replaced the trany mount with a Crown stock replacement after replacing the skid. I also replaced the motor mounts with ones I got from @JMT, which had lower miles on them. That is when I installed the MML. Oh, as I mentioned earlier of adding a MML. The reason I did that was because I had previously lowered the t-case skid 1" experiementing, which resulted in the biggest reduction in vibes to date. So, to keep the t-case skid back up on the frame where I wanted it, I installed the MML to mimic the drop in the t-case skid. It worked.
How far a drive are you from Citrus Heights?
during the week I'm in Mountain View working and staying in Morgan Hill on the weekends I'm 30 to 40 minutes from there.

Had I known then what I know now, I should have just went with the SSSYE to begin with. I just didn't think I would need it only having a 3" lift. I also didn't want to deal with the speedo healer.
mine with the original set up was 4.5" SL, standard SYE circa 2000, Adams DCDS, and no vibes period, no TC drop no MML

I can't go back much farther with the rear end as my track bar is only 1/4" away from hitting the fuel tank skid.

have you checked pinion angle at the yoke U-joint mounting surface? I clamp a square to mine and extend it along side the DS then I zero it on the DS and read the difference on the square. I find this to be the best way to measure pinion angle cause if you forget to take it off you will know the first 6" of travel. :p

Why don't you head ov
have you checked pinion angle at the yoke U-joint mounting surface? I clamp a square to mine and extend it along side the DS then I zero it on the DS and read the difference on the square. I find this to be the best way to measure pinion angle cause if you forget to take it off you will know the first 6" of travel. :p
That's a great idea. I may use that tonight.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Does your middle rearview mirror get fuzzy with the vibrations? I had vibes so bad at one point I couldn't see in the rearview much past 55.

I'm having a rear hard time believing it could be much else beyond the axles since you immediately got vibrations right after the re-gear (I remember that saga / thread). This many years in, I honestly think it might be wise to find a buddy who doesn't mind their Jeep going down for a weekend and swap the rear axle over for a test. It has been so long that you might as well just start swapping and testing and see where that goes. Pretty impractical I know, but it is one way to narrow it down for sure.

Reactions: starkey480
Put the jeep's butt on jack stands and ran it thru the gears. Seems the latest pinion angle adjustments helped a bit. It seems a bit smoother. Invited my supervisor to hop in so he could here it. He agreed, as he rode in it prior and could feel the vibes. He looked at me and said "is that your gears making all that noise?" Yup! I'm not crazy man!