Paint Correction Questions

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I’m doing some homework before beginning a paint correction project on my 97 ‘Flame Red’ TJ. I was under the impression that all TJs came with two-stage paint jobs. But a few comments on this forum have made me question that. Can anyone confirm?

Yes factory paint job on TJ's should be Base Coat/Clear Coat. That's not saying you can't get a really good paint job using Single Stage, especially with a solid color like red, white, black.. metallics need the clear typically. Single stage paint basically has clear components in it and today's solids are very good. Depends on what you want.

Yes factory paint job on TJ's should be Base Coat/Clear Coat. That's not saying you can't get a really good paint job using Single Stage, especially with a solid color like red, white, black.. metallics need the clear typically. Single stage paint basically has clear components in it and today's solids are very good. Depends on what you want.

Nice, thanks. I'm happy with what I have, but wanted to know what it was so I could know the best way to try restoring a bit.

Just for a before and after using some duplicolor paint primer and clear. There is a noticable ridge when you run your hand along it, so I know I didn't put on as much as the factory did

IMG_20191208_105712.jpg
IMG_20191208_233031.jpg

Reactions: Fonz54
Just for a before and after using some duplicolor paint primer and clear. There is a noticable ridge when you run your hand along it, so I know I didn't put on as much as the factory did

In seeing your photo I'm realizing my doors may have been repainted. Should that square piece of tape covering that hole be clear on all Jeeps from the factory? Because mine is painted over the same color as my Jeep. I just discovered it this weekend when I removed that plastic piece. What's that hole for anyway?

Thanks everyone,

Next question: once I get the paint really clean (compounding cleaner, clay bar, etc.), what do others recommend for the touch-up paint? Mostly small spots—nothing major like repainting a whole area.

I once used some Mopar, but I didn't like the little brush, and maybe I didn't apply correctly but it didn't last long. Are there any recommended spray paints that match Jeep factory colors particularly well? I have a "Flame Red" 97.

I used duplicolor on my patriot blue TJ... Repainted hood and front fenders... Colour is nice but it's def a bit lighter... then again the base paint is 16 years old.
IMG_20200601_204012_2.jpg

I used duplicolor on my patriot blue TJ... Repainted hood and front fenders... Colour is nice but it's def a bit lighter... then again the base paint is 16 years old.

Thanks. I can keep Duplicolor in mind. And where did you get that TJ decal? I like it.

Reactions: Stretch
Thanks everyone,

Next question: once I get the paint really clean (compounding cleaner, clay bar, etc.), what do others recommend for the touch-up paint? Mostly small spots—nothing major like repainting a whole area.

I once used some Mopar, but I didn't like the little brush, and maybe I didn't apply correctly but it didn't last long. Are there any recommended spray paints that match Jeep factory colors particularly well? I have a "Flame Red" 97.

MOPAR makes it in a spray can:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/5...oWbsO_uMkorQr7YTcvdcqq8eswWpniehoCvKYQAvD_BwE
and Duplicolor makes a Flame Red match:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00407YPPK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Those were the first links I found, so do some looking to find if it's the best retailer/price if you go with one.

Reactions: RobertJ
As
Thanks everyone,

I replied to you earlier, I had great luck with Automotive Touchup.

Reactions: grumblebee