Paint degradation

My forest green pearl 99 Sahara was in great shape. My flame red 06 has crows feet all over the hood. I don't know enough about that situation to know whether I'd have to strip it all the way or whether sand and clear would do it. What I do know is I have the knowhow to do it but I'm about a year away from having the location.
I think you need to strip it to the level of the cracking, at the least... otherwise the cracking will telegraph through the new paint.

I think you need to strip it to the level of the cracking, at the least... otherwise the cracking will telegraph through the new paint.
Another 05 Flame Red with crows feet.

How hard is it really to use the vinyl wrap?!
The new 3M #2080 stuff is much easier than the old stuff. Use a heat gun to warm it up and it stretches to any shape. You can pull it up to reposition it too. It has a clear liner over it, so you can get the bubbles out without scratching it. Once done, you pull the clear off. If it ever warms up here, I'm going to do my fenders and windshield frame on the Jeep. I bought some flame red.

Reactions: JMT
The new 3M #2080 stuff is much easier than the old stuff. Use a heat gun to warm it up and it stretches to any shape. You can pull it up to reposition it too. It has a clear liner over it, so you can get the bubbles out without scratching it. Once done, you pull the clear off. If it ever warms up here, I'm going to do my fenders and windshield frame on the Jeep. I bought some flame red.
Good to know. I’m replacing two fenders, windshield frame, and rear corner panel, so this may be the best option.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Slap some color matched 3M vinyl on that hood. I put some on my old Hyundai. It cost $35 and has lasted 3 years so far.
View attachment 319005
View attachment 319006

My hood and cowl vent panel are about the same as your Hyundai. I have a louver panel that I'm putting on it to cover the center section and was thinking of sanding and spraying the rest of the hood in a satin black at the same time. Now, after seeing this, I'm thinking a simulated carbon fiber wrap under the louver panel. I wonder how much hassle it would be to wrap the cowl vent panel also?

My hood and cowl vent panel are about the same as your Hyundai. I have a louver panel that I'm putting on it to cover the center section and was thinking of sanding and spraying the rest of the hood in a satin black at the same time. Now, after seeing this, I'm thinking a simulated carbon fiber wrap under the louver panel. I wonder how much hassle it would be to wrap the cowl vent panel also?
For the cowl vent, just get the vinyl stuck down and then trim the vents with a small sharp razor blade knife. They give you the knife and padded card squeegee with the vinyl. I'm going to remove my cowl when I wrap mine.

For the cowl vent, just get the vinyl stuck down and then trim the vents with a small sharp razor blade knife. They give you the knife and padded card squeegee with the vinyl. I'm going to remove my cowl when I wrap mine.
Yeah, I was going to take the hood off to cut the holes in it anyway, so it wouldn't be that big a deal to take the cowl off at the same time. Heck, I might even loose the jack mounts when I go to put it back together (happens that I kept the stock hinge screws).

How does it hold up to pinstriping while offroading?

• Haha
My 05 the clear is giving up also

2615132A-3CCE-4AAD-B3EC-E1E939D3691B.jpeg

I haven't done any on my Jeep yet, but I think it would hold up like paint, but a LOT cheaper to "do over". The stuff I used on the car isn't even the 3M quality stuff. It's held up to heat, snow, ice, etc for 3 years now.

Reactions: RHanna
I like the overspray on Rag Top, hinges an other areas. It's Primer, not painted yet and looks like it will never have paint?:poop:
It looks like he took a can of paint and didn't bother with tape or removing anything. Then he decided to see if someone would buy it for $4,000 on FB Marketplace. :rolleyes:

Here's some "paint fail" test trial fix's I've been trying. This one seems good if your going on first date and your jeeps is ugly.
And if you really want to impress your date go out on a rainy day the "paint fix" will guarantee a happy ending..
I'm not saying it will last, but it instantly hides a frosty hood and last more than 10 minute's. Should last about 30 Mins. As I said
I've been trying different application's for awhile most fail in the time it takes product to dry. 2-3 Mins. 20-30 Mins tells me I'm getting close. Next try will be multi-applications of silicone till clear coat is saturated.
What other then wet-sanding has worked for you.
step 1 prep with auto polish not wax
step 2 apply 3 in1 pure silicone wipe it on wipe off
step 3 100% carnauba wax not wax with VOCs they will strip silicone.
And Yes, I'm from the Autobody Industry.
finished  (2).JPG finished  (1).JPG

Last edited:

yeah I just don't know if there's a trick to telling how deep it goes other than just sanding until they disappear. So I won't know until I'm into it whether I'm spraying a new clearcoat or a whole new paint job.

I might do the 3M thing.

Either the girl is uglier than your Jeep or you're just planning on a quickie. :unsure:
p.s. Or both.
I'm Married, Sooooo! It's what under my hood that counts. If you want nice paint, don't drive the sand dunes, my front end lost most of its paint. But I like the driving on Beaches in N.C./S.C./FL. New Jersey sucks no Beach Driving and I got busted back in the day getting a Quickie in the sand at the jersey shore

200.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
I was watching Lite Brite on Youtube. Their entire Jeep is wrapped with a custom printed 3M wrap. During some body repair work, they said that the wrap will hold up well to the brush scratches, and even self-heal somewhat. In their case (rock damage, not pinstriping) whoever printed the wrap was able to reproduce just the damaged section.
I want to do just the cowl and hood, so these parts aren't subject to much pinstriping where I normally wheel. Called around yesterday and the closest I can find a shop to do it is Reno, which is like a 200-mile drive, so I may be buying the material and trying it myself. How hard can it be?:unsure:

South Florida sun on my 2005. I'll have it repainted one day, for now I comfort myself by calling it a patina
View attachment 318994

That looks like a pretty simple clear job. Sand, spray, buff, go. You could probably find a decent shop who could do the whole Jeep for $500-1,500 and it'd look new again.