Paint Job Prices

IMG_5592.JPG
Well, for those hardcore Corvette fans (I'm a fan too, this is my 5th), I'm gonna upset you. The car still had the original war bonnet yellow, it was in very bad shape and the yellow didn't bother me because with the patina it gave it a gold look. So, chose to go with a bright silver for the new color (it's a Hyundai color from the late 90's).
When I was 18, my father had a 1974 vette. It was a great color blue. Just like this photo. Looked great in the sunshine. And it was a blast to drive.

We just got an estimate for a total repainted base coat/clear coat PPG Black. Remove all fenders, doors, tailgate, mirrors windshield (has a chip so may as well replace it $500 incl in estimate). Total $6,700. Would be a professional job, including all jambs, one small 3" inside door bottom rust spot to sandblast. Seems high at first, but $20,000 less than a new Jeep that would need to be lifted and new wheels and tires which ours already has. It is a 2003 and owned it since 2005. Only 90,000 miles so another 150,000 to go easily.

Reactions: Chris
Paintfully expensive, but there is a better route. You can get the whole exterior of any 2 door Jeep coated with 1 gallon of Durabak. they do smooth too, so it doesn't have to have the bedliner finish, total cost is around $150 plus a day caressing your TJ - the best thing is that if prepped properly the Durabak is scratch, rust and impact resistant so it will last for 10+ years before a recoat and you have 16 or so colors to choose from.

Reactions: M35A2
I paid $1,800 some years ago to have a 91 Z/28 repainted, but that did not include any body work because the car just had scratches and chips from driving it. It had no rust and did not need any body work to it. I imagine that same paint job would be about $3,000 or so today. I took it to the best place in the area and he did a pristine job. The car looked like it rolled off the assembly line when I got it back.

Here what it looks like with bedliner on it.
Guys been trying to sell it for a year now. Really small dealer. Advertising on a free yard sale site.

Last edited:
Is having a bodyshop buff out the clear coat an option? I read someplace that a bodyshop can buff out your paint job. And get rid of alot of the bad finish. I have one side of my Jeep that looks like it was repainted with not quite as good a clear coat. So it's dull on that side. And my doors don't match - they aren't original. But it's mostly clear coat issues. Not chips or scratches really. Even so I was thinking about using touch up paint on the few minor imperfections. And then having it buffed out.

I tried to have a black Yukon buffed out at a car wash once. And they left it with big swirl marks. Just wondering what a bodyshop could do and how much it would cost?

Is having a bodyshop buff out the clear coat an option? I read someplace that a bodyshop can buff out your paint job. And get rid of alot of the bad finish. I have one side of my Jeep that looks like it was repainted with not quite as good a clear coat. So it's dull on that side. And my doors don't match - they aren't original. But it's mostly clear coat issues. Not chips or scratches really. Even so I was thinking about using touch up paint on the few minor imperfections. And then having it buffed out.

I tried to have a black Yukon buffed out at a car wash once. And they left it with big swirl marks. Just wondering what a bodyshop could do and how much it would cost?

Either a body shop or a really good detail shop should be able to do this for you for only a couple hundred dollars.

This may help explain terminology when it comes to this stuff.

https://www.automotivequalitysolutions.com/paint-correction/

Thank you. Very valuable information. Any idea how much a paint correction costs?

And that's not my Jeep in my avatar. That's what I want my Jeep to look like. You can't tell from these pics. But it's pretty hazy on the clear coat in various areas. And needs alot of touch up. But there does appear to be alot of clear coat left to polish.

My Jeep looks like this: