Paint recommendations for painting dashboard?

SafariRumbler

TJ Enthusiast
I’m painting my dash and center console pieces tan, I am taking them out and painting them in a paint booth on a friends property. I will be using a harbor freight paint gun. Any recommendations for paint I can put in it to achieve a durable flat smooth tan? Thanks

SEM!
Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric
Krylon

as for the exact match... that gets tough

Last edited:
Honestly I do t care for exact match, I’m sanding It all anyways. Just recommendations for paint to be put in a gun. I won’t use aerosol.
I would use the SEM products for vinyl starting with their prep cleaner, adhesion promoter, color coat, and then their low luster clear over that.

I would use the SEM products for vinyl starting with their prep cleaner, adhesion promoter, color coat, and then their low luster clear over that.
I've heard good things about SEM, how does it hold up in the brutal sun of the southwest? Do you still treat it like factory as far as cleaning and protection?

This is probably the best stuff on the market. https://www.semproducts.com/product/classic-coattm#product-details

Use a grey scuff pad and some kitchen cleanser. To prep the surface, wipe it all down good with clean water and you want to repeat this until water doesn’t bead on the panel. Then wipe it down with the SEM plastic prep. https://www.semproducts.com/product/plastic-leather-prep#product-details

Then follow up with 2-3 coats of the color, no need to clear over this, it will dry to a nice semi gloss, egg shell factory sheen. Big thing is let is sit 36-48 hours above 70 degrees before playing with it or installing ant trim.

This is probably the best stuff on the market. https://www.semproducts.com/product/classic-coattm#product-details

Use a grey scuff pad and some kitchen cleanser. To prep the surface, wipe it all down good with clean water and you want to repeat this until water doesn’t bead on the panel. Then wipe it down with the SEM plastic prep. https://www.semproducts.com/product/plastic-leather-prep#product-details

Then follow up with 2-3 coats of the color, no need to clear over this, it will dry to a nice semi gloss, egg shell factory sheen. Big thing is let is sit 36-48 hours above 70 degrees before playing with it or installing ant trim.
Lol I should update this thread because I painted them I’ll attach pictures during the process

B078D514-5FB3-41DA-98E6-6D0B3BC3E207.jpeg

00DEDB2E-5272-4E7B-A2B2-4DCEEF257DE8.jpeg

820BC3FE-D2FA-4B2E-AF36-85B5EEA63628.jpeg

B4CBDE73-DB9E-41F4-B0EC-2B3BFB906BA5.jpeg

F05AC386-CB43-4F1D-A40A-404CBE69B534.jpeg

Damn, that turned out exceptionally well! Can't even tell it's not factory.

What color did you use?

Reactions: Twopoint

I've found the low luster clear over the top of the color coat is an identical match to the factory sheen. The color coat sheen out of the can is too shiny for those of us that are bothered by such things.

Here is a center bezel I did with the color coat and low luster clear next to the factory cluster bezel.
DSC_4401.JPG
DSC_4460.JPG

Reactions: SteveBarrus
Damn, that turned out exceptionally well! Can't even tell it's not factory.

What color did you use?

I used a satin nutmeg rustoleum from Home Depot, it looks great... I was hesitant with the satin but it gives it a nice professional look and it really does look factory I’m very pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found the low luster clear over the top of the color coat is an identical match to the factory sheen. The color coat sheen out of the can is too shiny for those of us that are bothered by such things.

Here is a center bezel I did with the color coat and low luster clear next to the factory cluster bezel. View attachment 88234View attachment 88235

Wow that matches great! I didn’t have to worry about matching too much because I did the whole dash lol

I used a satin nutmeg rustoleum from Home Depot, it looks great... I was hesitant with the satin but it gives it a nice professional look and it really does look factory I’m very pleased with it.

Yep, that turned out great! I’m very impressed.

Wow that matches great! I didn’t have to worry about matching too much because I did the whole dash lol

Thanks. The other thing that helped is if you look at the factory paint on the bezels (they are painted) it has a slight texture to it that isn't in the plastic. I put down a good couple of cover coats, then pulled back and misted a dry coat onto the cover coat so it wouldn't lay down and just give it a faint texture. It matched perfectly.

Reactions: TJRick
Lol I should update this thread because I painted them I’ll attach pictures during the process

Hey, great pics thanks for posting. I'm in the process of painting mine also and am having troubles removing the the airbag cover and grab bar on the passengers side. Any tips or resources you found that might help?

Thanks, Brian

Dang. Looks awesome.

Was the rustoleum that you used in a spray can? Did you end up using the paint box? What was the process you used in terms of sanding etc?