Paint prep tips for a full paint job?

I like the 5.9 hood louvers.

I'm 3 years away from painting mine, doing a colour change too.
Obviously HVLP but what are you painting with?
It's just a cheap Devilbiss Starting Line gun. This is actually the first time I've sprayed with it, and it does spray different compared to my cheap Princess Auto gun I'm used to using. There was a bit of a learning curve, but that's why I started with the underside of the hood and the insides of the doors.

I'm using a 60 gallon compressor piped with 3/4" PEX, reduced to a 1/2" regulator/water separator which goes to a 1/2" distribution block. I have a separate 1/2" line run from the block to a filter/desiccant drier/filter that's only used for painting or sandblasting. I'm also using Milton V-Style high flow fittings.

I started on prepping the fenders today. One front one is just about done, so only three left to go...
This is the first time I've stripped something with a sandblaster, and man it's so much faster!
IMG_20190522_133956.jpg
IMG_20190522_134002.jpg
IMG_20190522_133920.jpg

Masking all of those stickers on the back side of your tailgate isn't going to be easy! lol

Seriously … nice work. (y)

Last edited:
Wow! This turned out great. Hopefully I can remember to look at this when (if) I get to repaint my TJ.
Looks awesome!

Reactions: derekmac