Painting headlight bezels

I’m still lost on what the best primer for plastic is. I have professional quality kahki base and clear paints mixed and ready to go - I just want to make sure the surface is perfect before I spray expensive paint on them you know?
What brand "professional quality"? They should be able to recommend a compatible primer or adhesion promoter in the same brand family for best results.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I’m still lost on what the best primer for plastic is. I have professional quality kahki base and clear paints mixed and ready to go - I just want to make sure the surface is perfect before I spray expensive paint on them you know?
SEM seems to be nice and of nice quality if doing it with a rattle can.

Echoing what @Vtx531 stated, whoever sold you the pro paint will have the right adhesion promotor and primer for that specific paint.

I'd like to see them body matched. I've been thinking about doing this on mine.
5D783A03-FC9B-49AB-9E92-57AFE0270639.jpeg
D0052C84-0D91-4DD7-BB8E-A4D5DF41098A.jpeg
0573EA95-3D71-4944-830D-CCA7167E0CEB.jpeg
33680EA6-C3B3-47DA-988D-3A6CA70C88BC.jpeg
D0954725-989D-4243-B765-3AF3B6511D0F.jpeg

I'm not a fan of crome on a jeep, so are and some aren't. The only crome on my jeep is the headlight bezels and the trail rated badge. What's yalls recommendations on painting them a flat black or semi gloss? I know I'll have to scuff them up pretty good which is no problem. I'm not gonna use the cheapest rattle can I can buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Satin Black

Didn’t use any adhesion promoter for mine. Just prepped well and sprayed with some black rusteolum. It’s been holding for a year or so. Wouldn’t mind going back to chrome.

Matched Body color would look cool.

I painted mine today! Solar yellow though, not black. I’ll be taking off the aftermarket black ones that are on currently. I’ll send em to you if you pay shipping.

Edit: holy thread revival, I just noticed this is over 4 years old!

Just to throw some extra info out to any other readers looking into this: the chrome on the headlight bezels is not paint, it comes off in a crinkly vinyl-type material. I chose to completely remove this stuff before painting because it had started to peel in places. Utility knife blades work best for this, although it’s still a lot of tedious work to remove all the chrome material. Sandpaper does not work well at all. The bezels are light grey underneath. I got adhesion promoter, base and clear coats from automotivetouchup.com. So far so good.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I painted mine today! Solar yellow though, not black. I’ll be taking off the aftermarket black ones that are on currently. I’ll send em to you if you pay shipping.

Edit: holy thread revival, I just noticed this is over 4 years old!

Just to throw some extra info out to any other readers looking into this: the chrome on the headlight bezels is not paint, it comes off in a crinkly vinyl-type material. I chose to completely remove this stuff before painting because it had started to peel in places. Utility knife blades work best for this, although it’s still a lot of tedious work to remove all the chrome material. Sandpaper does not work well at all. The bezels are light grey underneath. I got adhesion promoter, base and clear coats from automotivetouchup.com. So far so good.
This is interesting, mine sanded right off 🤔