Parking brake issue

dodj

Yesterday when I went to apply the e-brake, the handle went to max position but didn't seem to tension up. Sure enough it didn't stop the Jeep from rolling. When I got home I looked at the adjuster and it was a bit cock-eyed. One cable longer out of the jacket than the other. So I looked at the wheel backing plates and one cable had come off the lever that extends from the backing plate. I loosened the adjuster and got the cable back on the lever, readjusted the adjuster and it seems to work fine now. But,........ is there supposed to be some kind of clip or whatever to prevent that cable coming off again? or.....Did I just let the adjustment of the e-brake cable get a little too slack so that's why it was able to come off?

Last edited:
ebrake.jpg

Here it is. The ebrake cable with the square ring came off the lever from the brake backing plate. Am I missing a retaining clip or something? I put it back on and it seems ok, but, what prevents it from coming off again?

I don’t think there are any retaining clips at the backing plate. I think cable should be adjusted with some tension to prevent that from coming off.

Well, the cable would come off after each application of the ebrake. So adjustment wasn't the problem. After a little searching I found a yt video that showed the issue. So here is a link to the video that shows the problem and the fix. May help someone else in the future.