Part interchange question: pre January 2, 1997 hood?

DeltaNu1142

Today I (sort of) officially started my TJ journey. In two weeks, I'm supposed to go pick up the '05 LJR I've been working on buying since last fall. I'll post a build thread and tell the story there when that time comes, but today I went and bought a few parts: half doors and slider upper windows! They're not perfect and the mirrors need refinishing, but they're color-correct (Flame Red) and if I posted what I paid, it might anger people. So, I couldn't pass them up.

BUT, that's not what this post is about. The Jeep I'm getting has original factory paint, except for the hood... which has a custom job that I can't begin to describe. I won't crap on it because I hold the previous owner in high regard, but it's not my style. Maybe I'll post a photo at some point. In any case, I need to either repaint this hood or find a replacement Flame Red one. That brings me to today...

The salvage yard I visited still has quite a bit of the body and interior of the 1997 Flame Red TJ from which the doors & windows were removed. The hood is in really good shape for a '97. However, the guy at the yard informed me that his system says the hood won't fit my '05... whaaaaaat? His part interchange system indicates that the hood he has is a pre-January 2, 1997 hood, and despite the fact that it's definitely a TJ, it's not compatible with post 1/2/97 Wranglers! I'm attaching a photo of the hood below.

IMG_0415.JPG

So, what say the experts of the WTF? Will this hood fit my '05 LJR?

I don't know about the shape, but the latching mechanism changed over the years. Gimme a sec & I'll post my early 97 & 02 so you can see the difference. No clue if one can be retro/forward fitted, but I bet Mr. Blaine would know.

Very nice! I knew someone would know what was going on here.

I dug into the thread you linked as well as some others, and I think I’m clear on the differences. And the Jeep I found yesterday definitely has the early 1997-style latch and a functional pop-up spring. What I don’t know is, will the early ‘97 latch mount up to my ‘05 so I can use the early ‘97 hood? I could keep looking for a later-model hood, but this is the best option I’ve found so far.

It looks like I could easily install the hood without a center latch, but that’s a horrible idea.

I dug into the thread you linked as well as some others, and I think I’m clear on the differences. And the Jeep I found yesterday definitely has the early 1997-style latch and a functional pop-up spring. What I don’t know is, will the early ‘97 latch mount up to my ‘05 so I can use the early ‘97 hood? I could keep looking for a later-model hood, but this is the best option I’ve found so far.

It looks like I could easily install the hood without a center latch, but that’s a horrible idea.

That hood looks like it's in great shape. If it were me (I'm a Jeep part hoarder) , I would purchase it as a backup plan in case you can do a latch swap. If you can't do the swap, it'll sell on FB marketplace or CL easily and you could get your money back.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Yeah, I'd like to know if I can swap the latch over before I start a parts pile. I know it functions well because I tried it. I just don't know if it'll fit up to an '05.

I had a ridiculous thought the other day that I'd remove the old hood and use it as an awning over my shed door.

You are doing it the hard way. Just get the matching grill and swap both. The only thing the grill will need is one or two temp sensor tabs down low in the bottom area of the grill.

You are doing it the hard way. Just get the matching grill and swap both. The only thing the grill will need is one or two temp sensor tabs down low in the bottom area of the grill.
Well, I haven't done it any way yet...! I left the hood in the salvage yard yesterday!

I'll get a quote for the grille, hood, and latch. If it makes more sense to get those parts than to repaint the hood, maybe I'll go that way... though, it seems like the parts would be harder to come by if I needed them since they were only installed on new TJs for, what, 8 months? So I might be better off sticking with the hood-mounted latch in the late-97 and up.

I did consider finding a TJ grille and headlights to mount outside as a decoration & light over my Big Green Egg, though...!

Well, I haven't done it any way yet...! I left the hood in the salvage yard yesterday!

I'll get a quote for the grille, hood, and latch. If it makes more sense to get those parts than to repaint the hood, maybe I'll go that way... though, it seems like the parts would be harder to come by if I needed them since they were only installed on new TJs for, what, 8 months? So I might be better off sticking with the hood-mounted latch in the late-97 and up.

I did consider finding a TJ grille and headlights to mount outside as a decoration & light over my Big Green Egg, though...!

Before you get your heart set on this you might also take off your cowl panel and set it on the new hood to gauge how close it matches. Look at it from a distance,in the sun and shade if you can. Time,what temp it was sprayed at and the particular paint mix usually makes two cars with the same paint code different colors in reality

Grilles are hard to come by (at least here in TX) and they tend to be two things: (1) expensive and (2) damaged.

The hard way refers to the mental gymnastics you're doing to figure out a path forward.

Before you get your heart set on this you might also take off your cowl panel and set it on the new hood to gauge how close it matches. Look at it from a distance,in the sun and shade if you can. Time,what temp it was sprayed at and the particular paint mix usually makes two cars with the same paint code different colors in reality
I'm sure you're right. Trouble is, I don't have the Jeep yet. I pick it up on the 16th. I'm not very concerned about paint matching at this point... I expect that by the time I have everything where I want it and if I'm still enamored with it, I'll be ready to spray the whole thing. One of the half doors I picked up has a decent scratch in it that might or might not buff out, but I'm not bothered by it right now.

The hard way refers to the mental gymnastics you're doing to figure out a path forward.
Oh--if figuring out which parts I need counts as mental gymnastics, I suppose so.

$250 is the quote for the hood with hinges and grille with latch. I think I'll be picking that up this weekend.