Parts for NV241 needed

Brianj5600

TJ Expert
I need a chain and maybe bearings? Where to buy and what brand? Should I do bearings and seals while it is out? 144k miles on the odometer.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the NV241OR Rock Trac from a TJ Rubicon? They are somewhat rare and expensive so be prepared to spend $1500-2000. Depending on the mileage it has on it, probably needs nothing unless it’s leaking fluid or damaged

Are you talking about the NV241OR Rock Trac from a TJ Rubicon? They are somewhat rare and expensive so be prepared to spend $1500-2000. Depending on the mileage it has on it, probably needs nothing unless it’s leaking fluid or damaged
I think he's looking for the chain inside the NV241OR transfer case.

Edited for clarity. I'm pretty sure I need a chain. Last time out it seemed to skip teeth. Is it okay to just replace the chain or should the sprockets be replaced at the same time? Should a replace the bearings while it is apart? Who is a good vendor for this?

Last edited:
I've never rebuilt a transfer case but I think it's not much different than anything else.

If it's skipping teeth, the sprockets could be worse than the chain but they all need replaced. I got this from my old dirt bike days.

Replacing the bearings would depend on how much damage was done by the metal shavings that came off the sprockets and/or chain. At this point they probably need replaced too.

Seals are generally cheap and easy to replace while everything else is apart.

Edited for clarity. I'm pretty sure I need a chain. Last time out it seemed to skip teeth. Is it okay to just replace the chain or should the sprockets be replaced at the same time? Should a replace the bearings while it is apart? Who is a good vendor for this?
From your posts, I get the impression that you are fairly mechanically inclined and certainly not someone who gets fooled by the shit others tend to repeat.

If you have had a case apart and look at the depth of the teeth on the sprockets, the size of the chain, and then the proximity of the chain to the inside walls of the case, you have to consider what would have to happen for it to skip teeth. Take a look sometime if you haven't and see why I don't think it is possible.

ill do
Mine is still in pieces from that endeavor. You know anyone wants a side job putting it all back together? I'll probably fuck it up if I do it.

cmon blaine i remember exactly what we pulled apart and it took 30 seconds to pull 10, 10mm bolts out. thatd be the easiest thing you work on all day! ill bring the rtv and put it back together next time im up.

ill do

cmon blaine i remember exactly what we pulled apart and it took 30 seconds to pull 10, 10mm bolts out. thatd be the easiest thing you work on all day! ill bring the rtv and put it back together next time im up.
and if im not mistaken i offered to put it back together when i brought you the planetary back and you declined...

• Haha
Reactions: MaloStapalo
Thanks @mrblaine for your reply. I have never been into a t-case, but it makes sense that the case around the chain is no bigger than it has to be. Last time out something definitely felt weird a couple times. It could have been the type of rock on the trail.

I'll start with a fluid drain amd see what comes out.

@Bigmac I'll check out your thread too.

lo
Thanks @mrblaine for your reply. I have never been into a t-case, but it makes sense that the case around the chain is no bigger than it has to be. Last time out something definitely felt weird a couple times. It could have been the type of rock on the trail.

I'll start with a fluid drain amd see what comes out.

@Bigmac I'll check out your thread too.
looks like the links not working

just search "241OR assembly from scratch" on google should pop right up

Well, in another thread @AndyG suggested pulling out the front driveshaft to rule out the DC joint causing noise. I pulled it last night and the noise disappeared along with a slight vibration. It looks like I'll be working on that and not the T-case.

Well, in another thread @AndyG suggested pulling out the front driveshaft to rule out the DC joint causing noise. I pulled it last night and the noise disappeared along with a slight vibration. It looks like I'll be working on that and not the T-case.
Just remember , there’s not a 100 percent deal it’s the shaft . Likely , but it can be a harmonic that only is present when both ends turn , it can be backload from the shaft on the transfer case chain that’s now out of play , or something up front the shaft was transmitting .

Last edited: