Paying off credit debt

Credit scores, what a bullshit banking industry scam to keep us all wallowing in never ending revolving debt servitude.

Any system that concludes some shithead making minimum payments on 7 credit cards along with a car payment or two is a better ‘risk’ than the guy that makes no payments on anything because he has zero debt is a scam.
That is EXACTLY right. I've been finding that I'm being turned down for various "90 days same as cash" type offers because - although my score is very high - I don't have enough debt. "No mortgage loan in the last 12 months" was one such bullshit excuse I received recently.

Then Goddess help you if you actually USE the credit you have. I used it to pay for a $21K plumbing job - paid it off when the bill came in, and collected the cash back. Credit score took a 2 month vacation - AND - my car insurance rate went up because of my "Poor credit". The InsCo informed me that this method was "Highly Accurate". Fuck BANKS, and fuck InsCos.

I hate that but understand why they have to charge it. It does cost them $$ when you charge a meal....not 4% though

The whole reasoning behind them accepting credit cards is because people will usually spend more when they aren’t seeing the cash leave their hands.

I think (hope) this will come back to bite them.

I use credit cards for convenience, and haven't incurred any interest charges in decades. That may change. Recently, more and more businesses, mostly restaurants, are charging an extra 3-4% for using a credit card. I'll probably start carrying more cash, and only use credit card to fill my car's gas tank or groceries.

I have yet to see this in PA, but I think at least half the bars/restaurants I went to in New Orleans last month whacked me with that surcharge for using my card, I tend to go really light on cash when traveling, but after that nonsense I'll revisit that next time around. And if it does become the norm across the country I'll just switch to a debit card, I assume that would resolve the issue as I don't think they charge the fee like a credit card, though I could be wrong, I never have used a debit card...

my car insurance rate went up because of my "Poor credit". The InsCo informed me that this method was "Highly Accurate". Fuck BANKS, and fuck InsCos.

yea, that's complete horseshit. I know that insurance companies cite some actuarial algorithm to justify jacking people with poor credit, but at the end of the day they're all in bed together in this scam, banks, brokers, insurance carriers, congress, all of them are one uni-monster fucking us left right & center.

The whole reasoning behind them accepting credit cards is because people will usually spend more when they aren’t seeing the cash leave their hands.

That is exactly Ramsey's theory behind his blanket prohibition against using credit cards. At least one person calls in to his show every day with the same old question - Dave I pay off my credit card every month so using it doesn't hurt me, why do you still think it's a bad idea. He then goes on to cite numerous studies that show you spend some percentage more when using a credit card as opposed to cash because when handing over cash you are literally feeling the loss/pain in real time whereas with a credit card you don't, you just swipe it & put it back in your pocket so you're not 'giving anything up', the whole transaction is merely conceptual. I guess that's true if you're retarded.

But then he goes on in the same breath to say use a debit card instead :oops:

Don't they look & act identical to credit cards, so you're still not parting with anything on the spot; the whole thing makes no sense from that vantage point. Seems to me a debit card would be helpful to those that can't control themselves because when you have no money the card is useless.

I hate that but understand why they have to charge it. It does cost them $$ when you charge a meal....not 4% though

I think it's actually a fixed fee plus a very small percentage. So it's not a big deal to go buy a TV at Best Buy but if you're buying a couple of items off the dollar menu they can actually be losing money.

I’m a big fan of Dave Ramsey. I would like to know how he pays for rental cars, airline tickets, VRBO stays, ect without a credit card. Debit cards are not secure and getting fraud fixed is a pain compared to CCs. I have 2 cards that cover my insurance on rental cars. As for coffee, I get a cup at CircleK or Holiday and reuse the cup by filling it at home.
Best financial advice I received was on my first day attending a Catholic College. The nun handed out 2 pieces of paper. One was titled Love & Lust and the other Wants & Needs. I’ve been successfully married for 39yrs and I’m financially secure because I learned the difference between a want and a need. Financial success it a long term project. There is no such thing as quick money. If you are spending money to make you happy your likelihood of being financial secure is diminished. I had a couple working with me who were making $250K combined a year and they still went bankrupt.
Money is your Bitch and it should be spent to make you more money.

I think it's actually a fixed fee plus a very small percentage. So it's not a big deal to go buy a TV at Best Buy but if you're buying a couple of items off the dollar menu they can actually be losing money.

those credit card fees have been around forever so I'm assuming they've been factored into the cost of goods & services; this is nothing new so merchants that are now tacking on a surcharge to cover those expenses are motivated by other factors, either a new way to make a few extra bucks because people are broke and/or lazy & will still use their credit cards, or a way to slow the speed of raising prices themselves leaving it to the customer to decide if they want to save by paying cash.

I’m a big fan of Dave Ramsey. I would like to know how he pays for rental cars, airline tickets, VRBO stays, ect without a credit card. Debit cards are not secure and getting fraud fixed is a pain compared to CCs.

He's asked that all the time & his response is always that debit cards have all the same security & fraud protections as credit cards. No idea if that's accurate but I have no reason to think he's misrepresenting that either. Regardless, I'll stick to credit cards for those things unless/until they start whacking me with surcharges.

He also often talks about having NO credit score. I had never heard of that until I started listening to him, but apparently if you have zero credit cards and no loans for some set period of time you become un-ratable, you essentially have no credit rating at all. So the question he's always answering there is how do you qualify for a mortgage with no credit history or rating. He then hawks a 'manual underwriting' mortgage process through a company called Churchill Mortgage. Maybe he owns part of it, maybe not, but it's an interesting thing.

https://www.churchillmortgage.com/N...ssc=45788219.1.1683127030628&__hsfp=767442924

Reactions: bucky

Back when we had our retail business the CC charge to a business depended on how large the average purchase was. Higher average purchase = lower CC charge. We were around 2% merchant charge. With everything else maybe those charges to businesses have gone up. And the reason many small businesses wouldn't take American Express was their charge was 4-5% no discounts.

Truth is the CC merchant charge is usually built into the price of goods, wonder why some are doing an add-on charge.

those credit card fees have been around forever so I'm assuming they've been factored into the cost of goods & services; this is nothing new so merchants that are now tacking on a surcharge to cover those expenses are motivated by other factors, either a new way to make a few extra bucks because people are broke and/or lazy & will still use their credit cards, or a way to slow the speed of raising prices themselves leaving it to the customer to decide if they want to save by paying cash.

He's asked that all the time & his response is always that debit cards have all the same security & fraud protections as credit cards. No idea if that's accurate but I have no reason to think he's misrepresenting that either. Regardless, I'll stick to credit cards for those things unless/until they start whacking me with surcharges.

He also often talks about having NO credit score. I had never heard of that until I started listening to him, but apparently if you have zero credit cards and no loans for some set period of time you become un-ratable, you essentially have no credit rating at all. So the question he's always answering there is how do you qualify for a mortgage with no credit history or rating. He then hawks a 'manual underwriting' mortgage process through a company called Churchill Mortgage. Maybe he owns part of it, maybe not, but it's an interesting thing.

https://www.churchillmortgage.com/N...ssc=45788219.1.1683127030628&__hsfp=767442924

A buddy of mine had that situation... he'd been renting for years since a divorce and hadn't used any credit cards or gotten any car loans so he had no score when he went to go buy a house. I don't think it was Churchill specifically but he did the manual underwriting thing and it worked out just fine.

. Recently, more and more businesses, mostly restaurants, are charging an extra 3-4% for using a credit card.

Its a scam IMO
All business have worked the CC charges into their costs of services and retail products for decades.

When REWARDs cards came out 15-20 years ago, they charged higher fees at terminals, and every customer paid for it in the cost of product. So it made sense to use the REWARDS cards to recoup those charged fees they added to their products sold (Bank scam)

The Bidenflation post-COVID caused them all to raise prices so much more, and this is just another ploy to make even higher prices

However, if it makes more people go back to cash???
Thats a damn good thing

Last edited:
PHq Banks and Credit Cards
The best Advice I can give you is pay them off and never use them unless you pay the full balance off every month. If you cant afford to pay off the balance every month you cant afford to use your CC and that's the gospel

PHq Banks and Credit Cards
The best Advice I can give you is pay them off and never use them unless you pay the full balance off every month. If you cant afford to pay off the balance every month you cant afford to use your CC and that's the gospel

Hold on now....

Suggesting that people practice fiscal restraint may offend some folks, especially those in politics.

Well CC companies and Banks are worse than big tobacco they get you hooked and you stay hooked until your dead then your estate is saddled with that debt. Very few people are completely Debt and Mortgage Free. I think it is something like 38% of actual home owners are actually Mortgage free and besides in this country you really never can own a home Stop paying your Property Tax and see how long you own it and CC interest is nearly as bad as Pawn shop interest
FYI the crazy Property tax Scam started when carpet baggers came to the South after the Civil War and jacked up P-Tax to make land ownership unafforable for property owners that fought and supported the confederates during the Civil War ( Just where and When it started) an example of fair P-Tax is Belize you buy your home and pay about 12% P-Tax at closing and that is it until the next buyer purchases that home.
My Advice Get out of debt, Stay out of Debt and teach your kids about Debt, Interest and Financing because the schools damn sure don't

Reactions: Zorba
My Advice Get out of debt, Stay out of Debt and teach your kids about Debt, Interest and Financing because the schools damn sure don't

Best advice ever, and to continue beating this Ramsey horse to death, he always quotes the bible saying "borrower is slave to the lender". There is no truer statement.

I know there's a whole lot of people out there including many financial gurus that believe the opposite, that debt can be 'good'. I understand the concepts they preach add up on paper, but I've never lived on paper, there are factors involved when you take on debt that cannot be accounted for on paper.

Reactions: Zorba and Squatch
Best advice ever, and to continue beating this Ramsey horse to death, he always quotes the bible saying "borrower is slave to the lender". There is no truer statement.

I know there's a whole lot of people out there including many financial gurus that believe the opposite, that debt can be 'good'. I understand the concepts they preach add up on paper, but I've never lived on paper, there are factors involved when you take on debt that cannot be accounted for on paper.

Only a banker would think that it would be good to be in debt. Banks, CC, WALL STREET and lending institutions are predators and you and your kids are the prey

Wall Street is the biggest PONZI Scheme on the phqing planet next to Social Security

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Zorba
I know there's a whole lot of people out there including many financial gurus that believe the opposite, that debt can be 'good'.

I used to argue with a guy who believed in "maximum cash flow". He owns a wealth management company now.

I'm hoping some day he goes to prison for a ponzi scheme.

Debt can be a good thing if used properly. Don’t use it to buy things that depreciate like cars or toys. Buy things that will make you money in the long term. I’ve always use CCs but pay them off every month. I don’t like to carry a lot of cash on me and use the points for my travels. My biggest use of debt is for buying property. My house and first 3 rentals were bought using a mortgages and pulling equity for previous purchases. My house bought back in 83 had a 9.9% mortgage rate. My rentals always cash flowed twice my monthly payment. I paid everything off in 15yrs and started buying rentals with cash. Using cash to buy real estate gets you to the front of the line and you can find some quick deals at good prices. I bought the worst houses in good neighborhoods and rehabbed they myself. Many such deals require cash only. Bottom line the path to financial security requires a long term plan and the discipline to follow that plan. There is no such thing as getting rich quick. It took my wife and I 25yrs to get to be financially independent. Dave Ramsey would call us everyday millionaires.

I used to argue with a guy who believed in "maximum cash flow". He owns a wealth management company now.

I'm hoping some day he goes to prison for a ponzi scheme.

My cousin, who has a business or finance degree, can't remember exactly, thinks a little bit along these lines.

He will have $100k in the bank and go buy a $50k car and finance most of it, because he'd rather have the money in the bank. Of course it's different when you have the liquidity to just go close the loan on a whim, and that strategy makes some sense to me if your money is growing faster than the loan interest. Most people, including myself, don't live in a situation to leverage that. Most people borrow because they don't have the cash.