PCM, wiring or grounding issue?

raycer12

Supporting Member
I've been having some problems with my Jeep for several months now. I have a 2004 LJ.

The problems started at the end of September. The jeep stalled at a stop sign and the check engine light came on. It stalled a few more times on the way home and when I checked it I got a P0122 -throttle position sensor voltage too low code. I’m used a Bluetooth OBD connector and the Torque App on my phone to read it. I bought a new TPS and replaced it only to still have the code. I rescanned for fault codes and a P0123 – throttle position sensor voltage too high code showed up as well. The battery was fairly old and I had to jump it last winter a couple of times so I installed a new battery the beginning of October with no changes.

I did some searching on this forum and downloaded the factory service manual. Per the FSM I checked the voltages at the TPS (both the new one and the original one) and the resistance in wiring from the TPS to the PCM and it all checked out good. I searced this forum some more and one possible cause mentioned was a bad clockspring, it can cause noise on the databus making the computer think the TPS is bad? so I unplugged the clockspring at the steering wheel but the same codes were still there.

I reached out to Mark @Wranglerfix and I rechecked everything I had done before and ordered a new PCM which arrived around Thanksgiving and installed it that weekend only to still have the same P0122 and P0123 codes. A week and a half later the battery was dead so I jumped it and let it run for probably an hour when before the jeep stalled. I restarted it and it was running rough so I rescanned for codes and got P0123 -TPS high, and P0351, P0352, and P0353 -ignition coil faults. I shut it down for another week. I went to work on it again and when I started it the check engine did not come on and it was running smooth. I took it to the end of the street for gas and the check gauges light came on. The gauges seemed fine and I scanned for codes while driving and I got a P0158 code -O2 sensor high voltage bank 2 sensor 2. When I got home I rescanned for faults and got the P0158, P0351, P0352, and P0353 codes. Also I turned the stereo volume up a little while I was looking through the FSM in the driveway and noticed when the engine was idling the stereo worked fine but as soon as I brought the rpms above 1000 the volume went off. I have an aftermarket radio with a separate amp and a sub under the rear seat. The headend stayed on and I could hear the sub so I assume the amp was cutting out. It is mounted below the steering column and grounded to the body by one of the steering column bolts which is also where my viper alarm and keyless entry is (yes I added power locks to all 3 doors). The headend connects to the factory wiring but the amp and sub both have power coming directly from the battery.

The weekend before Christmas I made room in the garage for it and the check gauges light was still on, scanned it got no fault codes and the gauges seemed to be working fine. I checked the grounds from the battery to the engine and the firewall which both seemed good but cleaned them and made sure they were secure but the light stayed on.

Just after the holidays I started it again there were no lights on and also there was no problem with the stereo. As I was checking for faults I noticed the voltage gauge looked high so I connected a meter to the battery and I was reading 18.0 volts. I shut it down and started reading up and looking for causes. Went back the next day and started it and the voltage was fine, 14.2, but as soon as the engine warmed up the voltage spiked to 18 again. Also that was when the stereo problem started again.

A couple of weeks ago I went back to checking grounds and checked the strap that goes from the back of the engine to the firewall to the hood. I wasn't too concerned about it as the hood doesn't really need a ground and the engine and firewall should be grounded from the 4ga and 6ga wire from the battery. Also as the strap is aluminum (I think anyway) which wouldn't be as good as the battery cables anyway. After cleaning the hood and firewall end I went to try to get to the engine end. I know need a valve cover gasket so I thought I'd do both at the same time. To get the wiring harness out of the way it looked as if I was going to have to disconnect almost the whole left side of the engines wiring harness and didn't really want to disturb that many connections right now so I just loosened the bolt for the ground wire a little sprayed some WD40 on it and tightened it back up.

It sat there until this morning and I went back out to start it and try to see what temp the voltage would spike. I let it run and no problems showed up. None. It got up to about 200 degrees and it ran there for a while with no problems. I'm think going make sure everything is buttoned up and drive it around the neighborhood a bit but I have no confidence that the issue could have been the ground strap at the back of the engine which was the last thing I touched.

So all of that rambling is just to ask, if the engine is grounded from the battery and the firewall is grounded from the battery what is that strap adding to the party?

I found a good post on removing the bridge for the wiring at the back of the valve cover so I might drive to the parts store and get a gasket to replace that so I can clean up the ground strap good if that really is the problem. If not the gasket will have to wait.

IMG_20220201.jpg
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_02.png

Reactions: Wranglerfix
The braided strap that goes to the hood is an RF ground. I think it's copper wire that is tinned or plated. It shields the outside world from the spark noise and other radio frequency noise your engine and electronics make.

Tinned copper makes more sense than aluminum. Does that mean it doesn't supply any real dc ground?

Just pulled the Jeep out of the garage into the snow covered driveway and after idling a few minutes the volume on the radio cut out and my volt gauge jumped up. The Torque app doesn't give voltage from the pcm but does show voltage at the OBD connector which was reading 16.7 and the engine temp was 120, check engine light was off but check gauges was on. Pulled back into the garage and shut it down. Putting the old pcm back in and going to run it to see if anything different happens.

I put the old pcm back in and ran it for a good 1/2 hour with no problems but I've had that happen with the new pcm a couple of times. Plus the original Tps problem with the old pcm was never solved. Going to run it a few more days and see what happens but I'm running out of ideas.

You should try looking into the wiring harness where is passes behind the block of the engine. I had a short in one of my coil wires and when it would short it would fry the coil and it would give me codes 351 352 353. The harness passes right over a stud and likes to chafe this is where I found more than one wire with exposed strands.

@raycer12 I apologize for not chiming in earlier as I missed the tag. Send me your order number and I will send you another pcm to rule out that possibility.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Mark @Wranglerfix I wanted to try to rule out other possibilities first. I don't usually just swap out parts to try and find the problem unless they're a cheap part that commonly a problem. The thing that makes me think it's not the pcm is the stereo issue. Although the headend uses the factory wiring the amp that cuts out is wired directly to the battery and grounded to the dash. The remote turn on for the amp does come from the headend but that wire also feeds the subwoofer which does not cut out like the amp. I suppose the amp could have some sort of internal protection that makes it shut off when the voltage gets too high. I keep hearing and reading that I should check the wiring harness at the back of the engine. It's never been touched and it's protected inside that plastic conduit but since I need to pull it anyways to change my valve cover gasket I was going to go through that first.

I'm also having problems with the p0353 code right now, and at this point I had to make a profile and ask professionals. Hopefully I can get someone to help me on this forum. 2004, 4.0l. I was climbing a hill the other day and right as I was cresting it, 2 cylinders died. I swapped the coil pack and plugs and that didn't fix it. It will idle fine, rev fine, but as soon as I start to drive, it throws the code again and kills off two cylinders. I have zero clue what could cause this, I'm pretty new to jeeps. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm also having problems with the p0353 code right now, and at this point I had to make a profile and ask professionals. Hopefully I can get someone to help me on this forum. 2004, 4.0l. I was climbing a hill the other day and right as I was cresting it, 2 cylinders died. I swapped the coil pack and plugs and that didn't fix it. It will idle fine, rev fine, but as soon as I start to drive, it throws the code again and kills off two cylinders. I have zero clue what could cause this, I'm pretty new to jeeps. Anyone have any ideas?
I can test/repair the ECM if you send it into me. The 0353 leads back to:

• Faulty Ignition Coil 3
  • Ignition Coil 3 harness is open or shorted
  • Ignition Coil 3 circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

I can test/repair the ECM if you send it into me. The 0353 leads back to:

• Faulty Ignition Coil 3
  • Ignition Coil 3 harness is open or shorted
  • Ignition Coil 3 circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
I'm hoping that it's not the ecm and there's just a frayed wire somewhere, this is my only vehicle so I cant really have the ecm sent out for repair. Do the symptoms point towards that? Like I said, I swapped the coil pack and plugs already so I'm not sure where to go from now on what to check.

I'm hoping that it's not the ecm and there's just a frayed wire somewhere, this is my only vehicle so I cant really have the ecm sent out for repair. Do the symptoms point towards that? Like I said, I swapped the coil pack and plugs already so I'm not sure where to go from now on what to check.
Like stated above. Check your harness where it goes over the stud on the back of the head

Like stated above. Check your harness where it goes over the stud on the back of the head
So it was the harness, but a bolt sticking out of the firewall had torn its way straight into the harness right behind the engine. I had to pull the bolt out of the harness and that "fixed" it. No more misfire, but now I just have bad wires

Reactions: Gollywomper
The braided strap that goes to the hood is an RF ground. I think it's copper wire that is tinned or plated. It shields the outside world from the spark noise and other radio frequency noise your engine and electronics make.

I have 2 braided "wires" top center of the firewall. One is connected to the block, the other is unattached. Is this the one for the hood or?
thx
Jon

IMG_1943.jpg