People, again

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
I swear I do not understand people. A gent gets a ticket to ride with one of the big adventure thingies. He is almost ready but needs a few more things on his rig to be ready, one is steering. Contacts me and he is local. I walk him through everything and since he is a local, I give him the friends and family deal which is I sell him the parts just above cost. He swings by to pick everything up, I go over it all, he decides he doesn't want to do the install and wants us to do it.

His schedule is tight, we agree to get him in and drop everything to get him up and going. We do so, nice clean install that takes a bit longer than it should do to some fuckery on his rig. (had to de-stroke the cylinder which we have never had to do) He is a bit stressed that we are taking a few hours longer than we guessed but nothing terrible, maybe an extra 100 or so.

We use a 97-02 lower steering shaft to get him done up, I explain that I just want him to replace the part and have it sent to me, or he can pay me 200 for the one I have. He opts to have one shipped to me which I am fine with.

I didn't hear from him after a week went by so I sent an email nicely reminding him about the part. After a short delay he replies and says he hasn't forgotten. Alright, I'll quit worrying about it. That was around the beginning of August.

A couple of days ago I went looking for my 97-02 steering shaft which is over 2 months later and I remember that I haven't heard from him. So I fire off this email-
Sir, it is disheartening to have to chase folks to remind them to take care of basic things. The 97-02 lower steering shaft has not shown up nor have I heard anything from you as to when it will. I’m okay if you beat me out of it but it isn’t me alone you are screwing over, it is all the future folks who may find themselves in need of a bit of goodwill and the next time I won’t be trusting that folks will do the right thing.

Either way works, just let me know what you are going to do so I can quit keeping track of it.

I get this back as a response-

Evening BJ!
Your replacement shaft is shipping the end of the week!
Also your People skills need some work as a simple question of if I had made any progress to replacing the shaft would have been a better response instead of SLAMMING me !

Some of us have other life's other then JEEP 24/7 Sir.

I told him that my people skills are just fine when folks do what they are supposed to do. WTF? You certainly didn't mind the Jeep 24/7 thing when you needed your rig done in a hurry.

There is no excuse to take over 2 months to simply order a part. Not sure how taking 5-10 minutes to order a part online has anything to do with Jeeping 24/7.
I'm still trying to figure out how I slammed him. Observation is not slamming. Of course, right before I remembered the steering shaft, I installed a big brake kit for a gent. He lives up the hill and did not have a set of ball joints and wanted his replaced. I told him that I have some, not for sale but he can replace them since his schedule was FUBAR and he could get here the next day or a month out.

He opts to replace them rather than wait a month. We get done, hand him the boxes with part numbers, explain that I need 2 ASAP since I use them pretty often. A week goes by and I have to fire off an email to him. He finally sent over a pic of the shipping confirmation.

If anyone ever wonders why most companies will not send out a part without it being paid for, this is why.

Sadly, self awareness, i.e. being aware of and courteous to others, is a quality that is disappearing in our society today. Many folks see themselves as the center of the universe, as opposed to simply being a small planet in the larger solar system.

I’m okay if you beat me out of it but it isn’t me alone you are screwing over, it is all the future folks who may find themselves in need of a bit of goodwill and the next time I won’t be trusting that folks will do the right thing.

I think this part is what got that response from him and you shouldn't be surprised. You're right, but he likely felt accused and offended since people get offended by everything these days.

Next time skip all the goodwill and trusting future folks stuff because people just don't care about that shit and it doesn't bother them one bit if they hurt other people, they just care about themselves, and if you bring that up they will only respond with a retaliation because they feel accused. Just state "If you want your rig done within your specified time frame, I really need you to get me those parts by X day or it won't be done in time." Simple, to the point, puts the pressure on them to get their ass in gear because you're waiting.

I think this part is what got that response from him and you shouldn't be surprised. You're right, but he likely felt accused and offended since people get offended by everything these days.

Next time skip all the goodwill and trusting future folks stuff because people just don't care about that shit and it doesn't bother them one bit if they hurt other people, they just care about themselves, and if you bring that up they will only respond with a retaliation because they feel accused. Just state "If you want your rig done within your specified time frame, I really need you to get me those parts by X day or it won't be done in time." Simple, to the point, puts the pressure on them to get their ass in gear because you're waiting.
Look fucktard, until I get that part back in hand, you are essentially a thief who doesn't give a shit about anyone but themselves and as long as you got what you needed, everyone else can fuck right off. Go away and do not ever contact me or grace my driveway again. Here is the number to PSC should you have any issues with that piece of shit you call a rig. You aren't the only swinging dick with a life and that is not an excuse for being an asshole and stealing my shit so get it handled or not, we're done.

Better?

Look fucktard, until I get that part back in hand, you are essentially a thief who doesn't give a shit about anyone but themselves and as long as you got what you needed, everyone else can fuck right off. Go away and do not ever contact me or grace my driveway again. Here is the number to PSC should you have any issues with that piece of shit you call a rig. You aren't the only swinging dick with a life and that is not an excuse for being an asshole and stealing my shit so get it handled or not, we're done.

Better?
Just remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
My montra.

Better?

That sounds much more like you. :)

That sounds much more like you. :)
It is what I should have said but I opted to be nice about it. What these folks all forget is I keep a list, an actual written down list in case I forget. Folks on the list get reminded that while I may not have said much or done anything to get even, when it comes to future interactions, that's not gonna happen. Sorry, I'm just swamped and I can't even begin to think about taking a look at your problems for months, repeated ad infinitum.

Better?
Yes, much better. :LOL:

Maybe you need to start charging storage fees for rigs that sit there waiting on customer decisions?

Reactions: Rick Flair
Oh, I well know that. Rarely fails. In this case he was in a serious bind and I stopped what I was doing to help him out which was conveniently forgotten.

He was in a bind because he didn't plan ahead for mods/repairs before his big trip, and you did him a favor. Sounds like poor planning on his part.

Actions like you describe from these clients is why I could never own a small business. You can’t win either way with people anymore. You were accommodating in both cases going well above normal expectations and somehow turn out to be the bad guy in their eyes. I would have told both to fuck off

Actions like you describe from these clients is why I could never own a small business. You can’t win either way with people anymore. You were accommodating in both cases going well above normal expectations and somehow turn out to be the bad guy in their eyes. I would have told both to fuck off
I agree but you cant let those people change how you do business, which the reason you are still in buisness in the first place. At the end of the day you did what the best you could with what you had.