Pet peeves with your TJ that you choose to live with

I agree with mrblaine to a point. My problem with newer more efficient vehicles and their engines within is all the over engineered electronics they have in them, that a shade tree mechanic like myself cannot afford to have the necessary tools or pay a mechanic to have it fixed everytime an idiot light come on. flippin ECU's in these things look like my damn desktop computer for shit sake! I won't go into detail, but wifes 2010 traverse (big mistake) $12,000 in a year and a half including a blown engine at 102,000 mi. Gave her my H3 Hummer Alpha and purposely looked for a vehicle prior to crank and cam sensors, easy to work on and replacement parts are fairly cheap. The only way I'll ever go back to the newer junk is if all the jeep TJ's in the world rot away to pile of rust or I can no longer find replacement parts. Yes I'm forcefully biased, I love the 4.0!

Reactions: Tomcat
I gave up on trying to find a solution to my air vent issue. It will blow from the defrost and footwell in single and combination settings, but it will only blow weakly from the front dash vents when they are selected (with air still coming from the defrost and/or footwell). It makes a distinct air rushing noise like something is not properly sealed when the selector is placed in the dash/defrost setting.

I've already replaced the vacuum lines under the hood and the selector switch panel. All actuators and arms appear to be intact and move with the selector switch. I believe the vent selection door is broken or obstructed, but I have no desire to remove the dash to find out or fix it.

I had this problem on my previous TJ. The PO threw all his junk on the dashboard and it dropped into the defrost vents. I had to pull apart the dash to fix it. A pen was jammed in there.

Anybody know when we are actually supposed to shift these things ??

This used to bother me a lot at first but now I just tune it out and I hardly notice it anymore
Yes! that thing bothered me as well, had to pull my cluster to replace a bulb, first thing i did was remove the bulb from that moron indicator.

I wish I could find all the places that rain leaks in. And there's an annoying whistling noise coming from somewhere around the windshield passenger side whenever I'm on the highway.

But it doesn't rain that much in SoCal, and I have the top off now, so leaks and wind noise are no longer an issue. :D

Yeah, the leaks, everywhere at times, the seat belt of course, or that the door latch grabs your jeans on the way out, and, yes that stupid shifter light, they must think we are all trying to stall out every five minutes! And I also agree about the mirrors, why don't they make some nice after market mirrors?

Yeah, the leaks, everywhere at times, the seat belt of course, or that the door latch grabs your jeans on the way out, and, yes that stupid shifter light, they must think we are all trying to stall out every five minutes! And I also agree about the mirrors, why don't they make some nice after market mirrors?
My Jeep doesn't leak, it just marks it's territory.

Johnnie beat me to it....the darn seat belt catching in the door latch. My '97, '05, and now the '00 all did it.

Also, with the short wheelbase, when turning a corner and hitting a bump at the same time, she likes to skip/bump a few inches to the outside of the turn, though it feels like feet.

The fade in the factory flares....plan on painting them "some day".

But, the biggest pet peeve for me? The fact they stopped making the TJ. Bought one new in '97, and by the time I was ready to have another Jeep Wrangler, I was dumbfounded to see the sticker price. So, while a pet peeve, it's also a blessing we can find used TJ's with a 4.0L for "fairly" reasonable pricing. I didn't say great pricing, just somewhat reasonable.

When I want to fold my rear seat forward, I have to reach down and use my finger to nudge the right floor hook off. Probably a bad cable. Don't really care because I just leave the seat up all the time, especially given I got one of those secure storage "trunks" that create a shelf and that you access via the tailgate.

There's always some sort of commentary about how much folks love the 4.0. I am not one of those being a fair bit more objective and pragmatic than most. I recalled my disagreements with many over that the other day and then it dawned on me that for all of my disdain, I happen to own 6 of them. I may need to re-examine my hypocrisy meter one of these days.

Well it mostly makes sense to compare it to the 3.8 L V6 alternative in newer models...

I had this problem on my previous TJ. The PO threw all his junk on the dashboard and it dropped into the defrost vents. I had to pull apart the dash to fix it. A pen was jammed in there.
From replacing the radio, the dash lights, and the HVAC lights, I've found 6 pens. And the spare change...oh my God, the spare change I've found behind the dash!

Reactions: fuse and RussTJ
Things I fixed
*Hard top rear window rattle
*tailgate broken hinges letting it fly open and crack my passenger taillight
*Rear female seat belts wouldn't connect ** kinda had to fix that with the boys in the back**
Still to do
*Driver/Passenger window is full of dirt and mud
*Crap walmart floormats
*My ignition wont turn over unless its in the EXACT center position. (while rotating the key)

Many times when I exit the Jeep, the seat belt covers the door latch, so when the door is closed it just bounces back open. Of course this only happens when I don't check to see if the belt has in fact covered the latch.
This is my pet peeve also. Drives me crazy. I even went into a store to shop and thought someone broke in but when I saw the seat belt over the latch i knew it was me. From now on I listen for the door closing.

I had a couple of them. Worked at an ambulance company that had 40-50 of the pre- Powerstroke versions (non turbo). They make the 7.3 seem like a rocket ship in comparison. Like you, I never understood the praise and accolades afforded to that motor and I don't understand or want to even try to understand the cult following the 12 valve Cummins has. There's more than a few locals that are just fascinated by them which completely escapes me.

I have never driven a vehicle with the 12 valve cummins, but I read this article a while ago. Do you agree with ny of the reasons given here for it's popularity?

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-cummins-12-valve-is-one-of-the-greatest-t-1795746543