Phone Mounting

lBasket

Branch Manager
Supporting Member
I see a lot of people that have some kind of balljoint/arm setup near the center of the dash for their phone mounts. Anyone ever tried these? https://carmount.com/ (just the simple stickon magenets, F1) I was a little on the fence, til I saw some video of them taking some sedan over a speed bump at like 15mph lol. Looked a lot like 4wheeling lol. I have one coming but curious if anyones tried one for some actual offroading, those guys in the vids didn't seem to do much of that.

I see two versions, glue on and clip on for vents.
Glue on - hardware store has plenty of tape till you finally figure out what a silly idea that is.
Clip on - im sure we have diy on how to replace broken vents.

• Haha
Reactions: ParadoxD
Holds up under any conditions. Can use two for larger phones.:cool:
cell phone holder.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using a RAM mount for a long while on both my TJ and on my motorcycle. The initial price might seem higher than a lot of other mounts, but the security and different configurations are enough to warrant the price. It's stayed rock steady on my bike @ 60mph, so I couldn't recommend it enough suctioned to the interior windshield of a vehicle.

I have this round one and the larger rectangular one: WixGear Universal Air Vent Magnetic Phone Car Mount Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PGJWYJ0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Both work fine off-road. The larger is probably overkill unless you have a huge phone because the magnet is so strong.

You have to kind of slide your phone to the side to detach from the magnet rather than pull straight towards you, otherwise you'll pull the clip out of the a/c vent.

I put the magnet on the outside of my phone case using the adhesive.

Overall, a low cost, effective solution that doesn't take up space in cup holder or top of dash.

P.s. added benefit is when you're offroading somewhere hot and your phone overheats, it cools back down quickly by the a/c directly behind it.

• Love
Reactions: lBasket
I see two versions, glue on and clip on for vents.
Glue on - hardware store has plenty of tape till you finally figure out what a silly idea that is.
Clip on - im sure we have diy on how to replace broken vents.
I am with you on broken vents, 25 year old plastic part probably will not standup to the extra strain.

Okay I did buy the one that glues down, rather than the vent ones. I've never had success with one of those in ANY vehicle I've ever owned so I don't bother with them. Glad the magnet is super strong - that's the really worry I think. I have no doubts in my mind there are adhesives strong enough to hold my phone that weighs only a few ounces.

This is the one I got. Look at that lightning strong connection!
1628864090733.png

Looking forward to testing it out now. For 20$ I think it's worth the gamble, got it on sale. I'll let ya guys know if it's any good

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and L J
Blocking vents is ridiculous and not practical to me. I use these Scosche mounts in 3 vehicles and couldn't be happier. I just get my phone close and it pops on the magnet without having to fool with clamping it in or worry pushing any side buttons. One handed placement & removal always. I also don't like how bulky clamps/cradles are. The dash piece also swivels so mega options for phone angles

I've never had my phone fall off the mount but the magnet will need to be on the outside of your case if you use one.

https://www.scosche.com/magicmount-pro-dash-2pack
PXL_20210813_140635761.jpg

PXL_20210813_140815320.jpg

PXL_20210813_140843883.jpg

Blocking vents is ridiculous and not practical to me. I use these Scosche mounts in 3 vehicles and couldn't be happier. I just get my phone close and it pops on the magnet without having to fool with clamping it in or worry pushing any side buttons. One handed placement & removal always. I also don't like how bulky clamps/cradles are. The dash piece also swivels so mega options for phone angles

I've never had my phone fall off the mount but the magnet will need to be on the outside of your case if you use one.

https://www.scosche.com/magicmount-pro-dash-2pack
Looks like the same general idea, I was trying to avoid anything with one of those plastic ball joints though. All the ones I've used in the past have sucked in a car, so I didn't think it'd be worth it for offroad. How tight do they keep it over big bumps?

FWIW the goal for this is using Avenza maps or something similar offroading - so it's gotta stay in my eyesight no matter how bumpy it gets.

Looks like the same general idea, I was trying to avoid anything with one of those plastic ball joints though. All the ones I've used in the past have sucked in a car, so I didn't think it'd be worth it for offroad. How tight do they keep it over big bumps?

FWIW the goal for this is using Avenza maps or something similar offroading - so it's gotta stay in my eyesight no matter how bumpy it gets.
I'm not saying it will never come loose but I can't recall the last time I tightened it onroad or off.

What's considered eyesight placement is personal preference. I don't mind where my phone is at for navigation but I hate obstructing any windshield viewing so to each their own.

I'm not saying it will never come loose but I can't recall the last time I tightened it onroad or off.

What's considered eyesight placement is personal preference. I don't mind where my phone is at for navigation but I hate obstructing any windshield viewing so to each their own.
Ah so they do hold up really well offroading? Maybe I'll check them out then if what I got sucks. I do kinda like how it's adjustable, just haven't had good experiences in the past.

I am not honestly sure where I'm going to mount mine yet - it's looking like there isn't a lot of flat spots on the dash so that might end up being a bit harder than I thought lol

Ah so they do hold up really well offroading? Maybe I'll check them out then if what I got sucks. I do kinda like how it's adjustable, just haven't had good experiences in the past.

I am not honestly sure where I'm going to mount mine yet - it's looking like there isn't a lot of flat spots on the dash so that might end up being a bit harder than I thought lol
That was my problem too. My mount doesn't even have full contact because the dash rolls behind it, which worried me at first, but I honestly think I might break the dash trying to pull this thing off. It does "flex" to match surfaces but it was toward the wrong direction where I wanted it mounted but no issues for me

I saw a magnet type holder on display in the Verizon store. It may have been the WixGear, or at least something pretty close. Since there was one sitting on the Verizon guy's desk with a fake phone I couldn't resist testing it by shaking it around and smacking it several times to see what happens. I will say that it took quite a bit of my testing to get the phone to slide even a little bit. On the phone end, the one on the desk was exactly what the product was but the other end was designed as a "stand up" display when in reality the actual product was just a magnet with a vent clip. The vents on my wife's Jk, my friend's 2015 Ford van, and maybe some other newer vehicles may be sturdy enough to pass my test but I don't think my TJ vents can handle it.

This is what I've used for the whole time I've had my TJ and several years before that. Probably in 2015 I bought 3 for $2 each. The first two ended up with the ball breaking off within a year of use due to thin plastic. I was still using the third one when I saw them again at BigLots for 3x as much $$. I thought WTF are they trying to get away with selling crap like that at a higher price but I could see that they were thicker plastic so I looked around, saw nobody near me and tried to break one. I failed at breaking it so I bought it and it's been in my TJ for over 3 years now.

• Haha
I saw a magnet type holder on display in the Verizon store. It may have been the WixGear, or at least something pretty close. Since there was one sitting on the Verizon guy's desk with a fake phone I couldn't resist testing it by shaking it around and smacking it several times to see what happens. I will say that it took quite a bit of my testing to get the phone to slide even a little bit. On the phone end, the one on the desk was exactly what the product was but the other end was designed as a "stand up" display when in reality the actual product was just a magnet with a vent clip. The vents on my wife's Jk, my friend's 2015 Ford van, and maybe some other newer vehicles may be sturdy enough to pass my test but I don't think my TJ vents can handle it.

This is what I've used for the whole time I've had my TJ and several years before that. Probably in 2015 I bought 3 for $2 each. The first two ended up with the ball breaking off within a year of use due to thin plastic. I was still using the third one when I saw them again at BigLots for 3x as much $$. I thought WTF are they trying to get away with selling crap like that at a higher price but I could see that they were thicker plastic so I looked around, saw nobody near me and tried to break one. I failed at breaking it so I bought it and it's been in my TJ for over 3 years now.
It's big lots I'm sure noone would give a crap if they saw anyways hahaha.

Those look alright, and definitely can't complain about the price. Looks like you'd need both hands to mount the phone though right? That is a bit of a turn off for me