Plasti dip wheels

ladean2185

I'm going to plasti dip my wheels soon and was wondering if anyone has any tips to make them turn out nice
a7d7b0dba7ecf66b25d43a068a2a5d37.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Any reason why you chose plasti-dip?
They are not good for wheels IMO for they can be peeled.
I used the real regular Rusto paint on mine, lasted 5 years before I see chips.

Last edited:
No, I've just heard it's the easiest to use. I'm just tired of the aluminum and trying to keep it clean and I've been wanting black wheels anyway

No, I've just heard it's the easiest to use. I'm just tired of the aluminum and trying to keep it clean and I've been wanting black wheels anyway

Do not plasti dip unless you want it temporary... and do not go the easiest route in painting for you will regret it.
Rustoleum needs long time curing, and the VHT is also good for tough rims. Do not use bedliners because it is hard to clean from muds.

Do not plasti dip unless you want it temporary... and do not go the easiest route in painting for you will regret it.
Rustoleum needs long time curing, and the VHT is also good for tough rims. Do not use bedliners because it is hard to clean from muds.
Do I use sand paper and rough the wheels up a little before painting them. I'll check out the brand's you told me

There is no turning back as soon as you go this route.
Power wash it with soap (scrub hand-clean)
Sand it to 800 grit light-handed pressure (avoid deep scratch)
Degrease it with denature alcohol (or acetone)
Prime it with "etch primer" 2 coats (30 minutes max drying time each coat)
Coat it with your chosen paint 3 coats (observe flashing times)
Dry it for 24 hours minimum @ controlled temp. (leave it overnight inside garage)
Do not wheel it for a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and UpperMI
There are literally thousands of videos on plasti-dipping wheels. But...since no one has actually offered you any advice, here goes. I'll preface this by saying I've never plasti-Dipped wheels, but I have used in on other stuff. I've also painted and restored a few sets of wheels. One of the nice things about Plasti-Dip is that you can peel it off if you don't like it...so DON'T sand your wheels. Get them cleaned up really well, Use a degreaser like dish soap to wash them a couple times. Then wipe them down with some pre-paint spray. I'd use acetone, but it may soften any clearcoat you have. Since you are applying a temporary paint, you don't want to damage anything underneath.

Next, mask off any areas you don't want to spray. I'd mask the tires, even though it will peel off. I wouldn't want to run the risk of trying to clean it off the tires and pulling off my wheels too. Finally, go to town. One of the things that is important is to make sure its thick enough. It won't peel off for shit if it isn't. The current wheels on my jeep were Plasti-Dipped and it was not thick enough. Took a lot of elbow grease to get them cleaned up.

Have fun and enjoy the new look!

Oh, and the other guys are correct..."real" paint will work better, but this way you can "try it before you buy it." FWIW, this is Duplicolor's Wheel coating...three or four coats of paint, and three coats of clear.
WllDfochzLftd9QDqL-EEr5D58b9IW-BC3PBXmo6ILRnExJcFZ60tGCqRR1JNiRtpIsiVBVK2lNXmR_Etx=w1133-h638-no.jpg

Reactions: RussTJ
So, I Plasti-Dipped the Canyons I used to run. Was easy and looked good afterwards. It literally lasted one wheeling trip before it was peeling. Even with my OCD prep, as soon as there was a breach in the Dip, it started to peel right off. It also stains with mud and is a bitch to clean off. If you had no plans to off road or hit nasty, muddy roads, I would say go for it. Your best bet is good prep and some Rustoleum.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Rustoleum it if you have the patience to prep it properly and wait for curing time.
I have to wait 2 days for curing and 4 weeks to get it into the normal road.
Plasti-dip will peel off easy, guaranteed!!!!

Reactions: Starrs
If you use the Plastidip clearcoat after you put the initial coats down it will last longer. I haven’t done wheels but I have done several other projects and it works great if you don’t want it permanently changed. Go to Dipyourcar.com for other ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used 8 coats on my rims. Didn't want it too be permanent, in case I didn't like the look. Finished with clear coat. It's been 6 months and no peeling. Cleans OK but doesn't like mud. I think the clear coat made it easier to clean. Once it comes off I'm going to paint.

I did my wheels a couple years ago and i love them. I did so I could peel it off if I did t line black wheels on my rig. I’ll paint them eventually but for now they are just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk