Please share this

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Although this has nothing to do with Jeeps, this is a cause that is near and dear to my wife (it's her father) and I told her I would share this with everyone I know just to try and help. Even if you don't donate anything (which is completely fine with me), please consider sharing it at the very least.

He's homeless and has been living in his car for over seven years now. He suffers from a severe case of bipolar disorder, back problems that have made it very difficult for him to walk, and now his car has finally given out on him.

https://gofund.me/a16a949f
Anyways, all I'm asking is that you share this with anyone you know. We've helped him as much as we can, but we can't do it on our own. Our hope is that we'll be able to get him a cheap used van that he can sleep in. If you saw his current living situation in this tiny little Ford, you'd probably throw-up. There is mold, mice, and urine everywhere.

I'm very sorry for his situation, happy to help

Thank you! He's not my father and I honestly don't think too highly of him, but given how distraught my wife is over it, I told her I would at least try and help.

She didn't have a very good childhood and she blames her parents for that, yet she still wants to help him. I told her that I am surprised she can do that, because if I was in her shoes I'd probably say good riddance. I think women are more emotional and understanding when it comes to things like this which is why I don't try and understand.

@Chris can we get his car towed to a wal mart? I'll go and talk to him to make the arrangements if need be
We had it towed today so at least he’s out of that mess. Of course the car doesn’t run and is basically falling apart at this point, so there’s still that.

65F7581E-455A-479F-AFE3-8EFBC2C3196F.jpeg
F5CAA07C-BC99-427C-882B-EA7B785A080B.jpeg
780D12FA-2874-46AD-ABC5-2EECA81F2A1D.jpeg
B0152859-E73D-4D94-AD2E-225F1645B3E8.jpeg
785704C4-E2FC-402C-9227-95FE3A3C488A.jpeg
ABBD8219-3662-4410-9A21-000879114E05.jpeg
8DC60A15-8979-4125-81C1-97779564FCB6.jpeg
935CAD85-DAAE-40C5-8885-FAA32A8FE45B.jpeg
BEDFD29B-9636-44F5-BC99-3AFE1EDA1F06.jpeg

Hey @Chris, what about the car the guys were orginally building for you? Did it ever get donated, or is it still around? Maybe that's a possibility.

I'd have to ask @Wildman, but I believe that they donated it to a veterans charity group.

Are you able to get help for the underlying conditions?

He has terrible bi-polar (probably where my wife inherited her bi-polar from) and while he is medicated for it, he goes on-and-off his meds just like most people do in his situation. It also doesn't help that he drinks in his car every night which probably counteracts the meds to some degree.

Truth be told I don't feel sorry for him at all. I feel sorry for my wife who despite the piece of shit father he was (and she admits this), she still can't bare to see him die in his car. So I told her I would try to help him.

The car he is living in is just done for. It would probably be cheaper to buy a used car than even try to repair this thing. It's even got real bullet holes in one side of it. I figure in the best case scenario maybe some wealthy and generous person might see it and donate enough to get him either a cheap used car, or in the worst case a nice tent and some camping gear to begin "urban camping".

In the meantime my wife is also doing her research to see if she can't get him committed to a state home. He suffers from early dementia and so it's not uncommon for him to completely forget things. Couple that with his bipolar and his back problem and you've got a guy who really needs to be in a state run home. He may only be 58, but if you met him in person you'd see what I mean. He truly isn't all there mentally.

I'd have to ask @Wildman, but I believe that they donated it to a veterans charity group.

He has terrible bi-polar (probably where my wife inherited her bi-polar from) and while he is medicated for it, he goes on-and-off his meds just like most people do in his situation. It also doesn't help that he drinks in his car every night which probably counteracts the meds to some degree.

Truth be told I don't feel sorry for him at all. I feel sorry for my wife who despite the piece of shit father he was (and she admits this), she still can't bare to see him die in his car. So I told her I would try to help him.

The car he is living in is just done for. It would probably be cheaper to buy a used car than even try to repair this thing. It's even got real bullet holes in one side of it. I figure in the best case scenario maybe some wealthy and generous person might see it and donate enough to get him either a cheap used car, or in the worst case a nice tent and some camping gear to begin "urban camping".

In the meantime my wife is also doing her research to see if she can't get him committed to a state home. He suffers from early dementia and so it's not uncommon for him to completely forget things. Couple that with his bipolar and his back problem and you've got a guy who really needs to be in a state run home. He may only be 58, but if you met him in person you'd see what I mean. He truly isn't all there mentally.
The key term you need to use is "a danger to himself or others". If you can demonstrate that you'll get a 24 day involuntary admit to a facility at least. That's a start.

Man, I've been there with family and have gone down this road. Not to this extent but close. I don't envy you and I hope your wife and get him some help. Even though he's been a POS he's blood and that isn't easy to walk away from no matter what the circumstances are.

Reactions: reddvltj
The key term you need to use is "a danger to himself or others". If you can demonstrate that you'll get a 24 day involuntary admit to a facility at least. That's a start.

Man, I've been there with family and have gone down this road. Not to this extent but close. I don't envy you and I hope your wife and get him some help. Even though he's been a POS he's blood and that isn't easy to walk away from no matter what the circumstances are.

He’s threatened suicide so many times and has been admitted to the hospital each time for a 72 hour hold. Somehow though he gets out and just goes right back to living in his car.

• Wow
Reactions: Modoc Guy