Popping noise in steering column

My eyes may be playing tricks on me, but it appears you have a dropped pitman arm. The consensus on this forum is to go with stock. The dropped arm can and will give you issues. View attachment 135586
That is correct - the dropped pitman arm is doing a lot of harm to the steering. The oem pitman arm will fix some steering issues.

My eyes may be playing tricks on me, but it appears you have a dropped pitman arm. The consensus on this forum is to go with stock. The dropped arm can and will give you issues. View attachment 135586

here are some pictures and everything that’s attached to the pitman arm. I looked up some stock pictures and it definitely does not look the same.

So you’re telling me whoever installed this lift didn’t know what they were doing? 😂 change it to stock then?

04D66E75-F314-49EE-BF1D-48FCC4CD3FD4.jpeg

3AF4FCC6-E559-472C-9686-158DF64F3F64.jpeg

4219BC4B-D1DF-4B58-BD47-15B337A35C17.jpeg

92A0EC36-2EA3-4557-A4F1-324B777BCF61.jpeg

They probably knew what they were doing, they just didn't know not to do that.

The pop can be the column cage bearing under the airbag (its made like a bicycle stem bearing ) if someone got rough with the wheel trying to pull it , it can be the upper shaft upper u-joint under the dash, the u joint above the shaft bearing, the shaft bearing itself , and even further down.

Start with WD40 on them one a time below the dash and see if anything changes.

Avoid a Borgersen... expensive headache.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
They probably knew what they were doing, they just didn't know not to do that.

The pop can be the column cage bearing under the airbag (its made like a bicycle stem bearing ) if someone got rough with the wheel trying to pull it , it can be the upper shaft upper u-joint under the dash, the u joint above the shaft bearing, the shaft bearing itself , and even further down.

Start with WD40 on them one a time below the dash and see if anything changes.

Avoid a Borgersen... expensive headache.
What do you not like about it? And yes buy an oem pitman arm and slap that on - you’ll instantly feel the difference going over bumps and not having the steering jerk.

What do you not like about it? And yes buy an oem pitman arm and slap that on - you’ll instantly feel the difference going over bumps and not having the steering jerk.
The diameter where the shaft goes into the shaft needle bearing in front of the firewall was smaller than my stock steering arm... So it allowed the shaft to jump around and it was an absolute pain...plus I had slop in the u joints... Basically it was not built to specs. And they were ridiculous about it.

Any of you guys are running a dropped track bar mount on the frame side... Those are really quick to pop.... Especially the time that squeezes the frame ... The track bar has a little leverage in it will develop a metal 2 metal pop.

what is crazy is as much of the undercarriage is exposed on these things it can be really hard to diagnose.

I wasn’t really trying to revive this old thread but now that I’m out of school and had a little bit of extra cash and time to put into this Jeep. A couple of days later after posting this thread, I took the Jeep to a 4 wheel drive shop and they told me to replace a couple of things (tie rod, track bar, pitman arm). I figured I could upgrade a couple of things along the way.... so I got the following:

1) I went back to the non-dropped pitman arm
2) metalcloak track bar
3) TJ to ZJ tie rod conversion (I bought everything just to refresh the steering components which included a new TJ drag link, tie rod ends, sleeves and of course the ZJ tie rod)
5) new steering stabilizer
4) rancho 5000x front shocks

Turns out... so a previous owner broke a lower control arm bracket and tried to welded in themselves and my friend found a crack on it. And ALSO I know that someone had mentioned in this threat that the track bar was just moved from its original spot. Well... this turned out to be a nightmare because whoever did that, made the hole crooked! So the “New” back hole was way off and not centered thus causing stress on the track bar on a “weaker” point and eventually that’s why I need to replace it.

Metalcloak’s track bar requires me to re-drill the original hole bigger and the “new” back hole a previous owner made is way too close to the original one so I had to drop the axle with the help of a friend and sent it to someone to weld on a new brackets/mounts for the track bar as well as for the lower control arm or else, if I had re-drilled that hole it would’ve been too close to the second hole that wasn’t even supposed to be there and could’ve cracked between the 2 holes. It’s a bit of a nightmare!

and recently, it also started making a Popping noise on the back so I am assuming is the bump that it’s missing and/ or I need to replace the rear shocks as well. I am currently waiting to get the axle back from the shop. The Jeep will be on jack stands to a while until that stuff gets sorted out.

Oh and I had to replace the valve cover gasket since it was leaking from the back. Replaced it, and it was STILL leaking so the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket got replaced as well.

I’m lucky to have a friend who is a mechanic who has been helping me out a lot for somethings I’m not comfortable doing.

I hope all of you are safe in the middle of this madness!

Last edited:
Reactions: DaYooperTransplant
Current situation is pictured below. An no I never figured out the popping noise upon steering unfortunately. The noise comes exactly from the steering wheel, right behind the airbag. I’m hoping that once I get all of these more important things sorted out, I can figure that part out.
I have a couple of projects I need to do with the Jeep before the summer ends which includes sanding down the old frame paint and putting a protective coat over it to avoid rust as well as putting some of that Eastwood internal frame paint.

now that I am here... I was going to ask... this has a 3.5 inch lift with almost 33 in tires. Do you guys recommend I upgrade the driveshafts as well? Or at least the rear or front? I believe a friend told me he almost cracked his tranny case because he didn’t upgrade the driveshafts and he had a lift and bigger than stock tires.

thoughts?

01B7AAC6-C661-4535-BE07-EB6EFD9F8F0A.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a creaking/popping noise coming from my steering. After looking at multiple possibilities, I pulled apart the steering support bearing and discovered the bearing was completely dry and binding. I cleaned and re-greased it, then put it back together. After that my noise was gone, well at least until the steering box started making noises.

FWIW, there's also a U joint in the steering shaft, that's another thing to look at, which gets ignored.

U6qlPOm.jpg

Reactions: Daredevil96
I had a creaking/popping noise coming from my steering. After looking at multiple possibilities, I pulled apart the steering support bearing and discovered the bearing was completely dry and binding. I cleaned and re-greased it, then put it back together. After that my noise was gone, well at least until the steering box started making noises.

FWIW, there's also a U joint in the steering shaft, that's another thing to look at, which gets ignored.

View attachment 170180
I was looking into that a couple of weeks ago and believe that it’s coming from the upper shaft bearing area. The only thing is... I have only been able to find the upper bearing shaft kit for YJ’s and not TJ’s. I am assuming the design of the steering was changed and maybe they don’t sell those bearings individually. I don’t know to be honest.

Man you have to bite the bullet, and get the Mopar shaft and bearing assembly, pack it with quality grease like Lucas red and tacky , and be done with it.

You will be so glad you did.

Current situation is pictured below. An no I never figured out the popping noise upon steering unfortunately. The noise comes exactly from the steering wheel, right behind the airbag. I’m hoping that once I get all of these more important things sorted out, I can figure that part out.
I have a couple of projects I need to do with the Jeep before the summer ends which includes sanding down the old frame paint and putting a protective coat over it to avoid rust as well as putting some of that Eastwood internal frame paint.

now that I am here... I was going to ask... this has a 3.5 inch lift with almost 33 in tires. Do you guys recommend I upgrade the driveshafts as well? Or at least the rear or front? I believe a friend told me he almost cracked his tranny case because he didn’t upgrade the driveshafts and he had a lift and bigger than stock tires.

thoughts?

View attachment 170168
Grab the shaft at the collar where it goes through the bearing, if it wiggles, it will pop and telegraph to the steering wheel. There are bearings below the air bag as well...you don't want to damage those..getting violent pulling a steering wheel can do it.

As far as drive shafts, you want good u joints and we'll balanced shafts....the spicer sealed ones are highly recommended. The shafts themselves can take the abuse , but the front double cardan has to be in good shape. If that blows at speed it can get ugly.

I had the same issue. When I did my body lift and put the new support bracket on I discovered a dry and dirty bearing. Completely cleaned it and greased it and it's been smooth ever since.

I’m having something similar here and it seems to be coming from right behind the airbag, similar to what @Daredevil96 described.
I am still driving the Jeep just fine. It’s annoying but it works. I think we need to switch out the steering column itself. The popping does not come from the other places mentioned before and I’ve greased things and still pops. I just need to take it apart to find the correct match. I think the part number is located on the left side, we just need to take the plastic cover off. Might be a little bit further down I cannot remember.

Mine has cruise control, and can adjust the wheel. I think I remember seeing apparently some aren’t adjustable? I am not sure. Maybe they meant that it includes the lever to move it. I haven’t dug into it too much. Been busy. But there is that one option and cruise control option as well.

Reactions: khakitj
I took my Jeep to a mechanic for something else (gear oil change) and showed him the steering wheel issue. He fixed it. I don’t remember the specifics but it sounded like maybe when another mechanic had removed the steering wheel (to replace the heater core), they didn’t tighten everything up enough when they put it back. Hopefully yours is as simple to fix as that.