Possible Bent Clutch Release Arm

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I am having an issue shifting gears. I went from difficult to shift gears all of the sudden to not being able to shift gears at all with the engine running. I can shift fine if the transfercase is in N with engine running, or shift while engine is off. The clutch, TOB, release arm, and transmission are all new. I just replaced the hydraulics today with no change. There is no odd noises at all so I do it think the TOB or clutch failed. So any ideas, could the release arm be bent?

I dont see how the release arm could bend as it is very stout. Did you buy the pre bled hydraulic assembly?

So to follow up, dropped the trans to find the pivot ball basically un-threaded it self. So a simple part failed and had to do a not so simple job to get to it.

Reactions: ColoJeep and P man
So to follow up, dropped the trans to find the pivot ball basically un-threaded it self. So a simple part failed and had to do a not so simple job to get to it.

Haven't seen that before so good to know. Maybe a dab of blue loc tite on install?

Haven't seen that before so good to know. Maybe a dab of blue loc tite on install?

Thats the plan, the adapter I used for the LS has a threaded thru hole where the pivot stud mounts and the pivot ball is steel with a threaded hole at the base. The threaded stud I used backed it self off so this time I'm using Loctite and a longer stud where I can put a lock nut on it.

Sucks having to drop the trans, but gives me an opportunity to get some better pics of the LS Swap DIY thread.

Reactions: P man and ColoJeep
Thats the plan, the adapter I used for the LS has a threaded thru hole where the pivot stud mounts and the pivot ball is steel with a threaded hole at the base. The threaded stud I used backed it self off so this time I'm using Loctite and a longer stud where I can put a lock nut on it.

Sucks having to drop the trans, but gives me an opportunity to get some better pics of the LS Swap DIY thread.

Sounds like a good idea

I had a similar issue when I replaced the slave cyl, the clip was missing on the ball pivot along with the TO bearing clip being broken and my release fork turned and fell off the pivot when I removed the old slave. I see a lot of You Tubes where they have a real hard time trying putting the fork retaining clip on while holding the fork onto the pivot but I found if you put it onto the fork first all you have to do is press everything straight onto the ball, the back of the spring opens up and it snaps right onto the ball nice and secure.

I had a similar issue when I replaced the slave cyl, the clip was missing on the ball pivot along with the TO bearing clip being broken and my release fork turned and fell off the pivot when I removed the old slave. I see a lot of You Tubes where they have a real hard time trying putting the fork retaining clip on while holding the fork onto the pivot but I found if you put it onto the fork first all you have to do is press everything straight onto the ball, the back of the spring opens up and it snaps right onto the ball nice and secure.

Luckily the retaining clip held great and kept pivot ball from falling into the rotatey bits causing any kind of damage.