Possible drive train rattle

Glenn Hodges

Just bought a 2000 TJ, needs a little TLC. The jeep has a significant "rattle" almost a clanking at take off. Seems to be coming from the rear-center, maybe toward the left rear tire. Noise disappears at speed, is worse at times than others and very often will just disappear all together. Occasionally will sound pretty bad when under heavy load, like on a hill. Most of the jeep is stock. Can anyone help me focus on some areas to get rid of the noise?

Last edited:
If I had to guess at some places to start:
Check that rear track bar is torqued to spec at both ends
Check that all control arm bolts are torqued to spec
Check all control arm bushings for wear

Reactions: Rob5589
I would look at the transfer case to skid plate mount , You have a lot of potential rattle going on with the possibility of a broken mount, exhaust passes through that area, and look at the exhaust hangers and the area where the tail pipe passes by the gas tank skid plate everything is close to touching in that area.

Check the u-joints. If it is a bad bushing or loose control arm, track bar thing it would be more like a one clank at take off or when shifting gears because the Jeep is coming under load. A loose bracket would just keep making the noise as it vibrated.

If you ha e a cv joint check that as well i have a ratcheting noise in the back of mine when i leave from a stop in first gear i am chasing it down ad we speak.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: JP98
Does it make noise in neutral with the clutch out and parked? Or do you have to be in motion?
The jeep makes what I believe is the typical throw out bearing noise when idling in neutral with the clutch out. That noise goes away when the clutch is disengaged. The noise I'm more worried seems to come from the back only when taking off or being in second at lower speeds.

Try this. Park downhill on a steep grade. Take the Jeep out of gear and then let off brake to see if the noise is the same as you let gravity pull you down the hill.

Try this. Park downhill on a steep grade. Take the Jeep out of gear and then let off brake to see if the noise is the same as you let gravity pull you down the hill.
I tried this and it made noise in my TJ. What would this be?